The Student Room Group

Psychology A Unit 3 AQA - 17th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
Original post by JordanaAmanda
Anyone got any idea what may come up for Agression?

According to this thread, its going to be Neural/Hormonal Mechanisms or Group Display, because neither of them have come up yet :smile:
Original post by jammie276
There are 2 maintenance of relationships theories that I know of which are;

Social Exchange Theory:
This is based on the profit/loss obtained in the relationship which can include such things as financial stability, sex etc. For the relationship to be succesful our percieved profits must be higher than our loss.
This can explain why women may stay in abusive relationships as them leaving may have a greater loss e.g. no home.
However this only really applies to western cultures as we are individualist and focus on the gains we can make from give and take e.g. like a stock market.
The 2nd part to this theory is our Comparison Level this is our expectancy level of what we should gain from the relationship that we determine from our past experiences, if we gain less than our CL level we may leave the relationship and look to see if there is a better 'deal' elsewhere.
Although this doesn't explain why people leave relationships when nothing else is available e.g. they stay single.

Equity Theory:
This theory is based on the fairness of the relationship and the equality of the profit/loss. A supporting study for this is were they found couples were happiest when there was equality rather than one person getting all the benefits.
However what we consider to be fair is 'subjective' and can be linked with our CL level perhaps from the Social exchange theory?
Another study considered that relationships aren't purely economic in that with human relationships we repsond to our partners desires and they respond to ours.
Gender differences in that men see there career as more important if they earn more money where as if the women earns more they rate there jobs as equal, so women seem to expect less from the relationship.

Behaviourist approach maybe due to need for rewards in profit?
Not sure if you can inlcude a nature v nurture debate in there anywhere as well.

Thanks. Those two theories are also part of formation theories too, right?
Original post by esachica
Aha don't worry, I'm only going for a C too :tongue: It's certainly rare to find someone else like that too!

Haha, ahh wow! It's an awful position to be in, I don't wanna go tooooo far in revision for this, and get like an A, but do awful in my other subjects.. (not that I'd be able to easily get an A, just hoping the predictions come up! / grade boundarys are low.
Original post by TGBuble
According to this thread, it's going to be Evolution :wink:

Dream. Had a one to one revision session with my teacher as no-one else turned up, and we did evolution. If it comes up, tears of joy will flow down my face.
Reply 1224
SLEEP: Nature of sleep OR consequences of disrupting bio rhythms
AGGRESSION: Group Displays or Neural/Hormonal
EATING: Evolutionary

Just my guesses if we're going by what HASN'T come up yet :smile:
Original post by Converse
Thanks. Those two theories are also part of formation theories too, right?

These 2 are theories of maintenace, sorry I forgot to include the formation of relationships which you also asked for, do you want me to explain formation as well?
Original post by jammie276
These 2 are theories of maintenace, sorry I forgot to include the formation of relationships which you also asked for, do you want me to explain formation as well?

Please.
If it says 'discuss one biological explanation of an eating behaviour

we can write about neural mechanisms & satiation? OR evolutionary yes?
SLEEP: Nature of sleep OR consequences of disrupting bio rhythms
AGGRESSION: Group Displays or Neural/Hormonal
EATING: Evolutionary

Just my guesses if we're going by what HASN'T come up yet :smile:

supposing group displays comes up can i write about deindividuation and talk about zimbardo's studies and link it to lynch mobs. then do a alternative approach in the form of evolution then use evolution explanation to explain religious displays. would that work or doesn't deindividuation count as one?
do you guys think the evolutionary theories of jealousy and infidelity will come up for aggression?
Original post by darylpoon12
Ok here's what I have for Sleep walking AO2:
Gunn and Gunn: behaviours like lining up shoes on the window sill were seen, but mainly sleep walkers carry out normal routine activities

Soldatos and Kale: said that sleep walkers have a prior pathology of depression and trauma

Hubin et al: studied twins, found concordance rate to be DZ: 0.37, MZ: 0.55 when children, but changed to DZ: 0.05, MZ: 0.37 when adults

can't remember anything else off the top of my head.. wow this is great

Narcolepsy:

I hated Narcolepsy. I don't know anything for it off the top of my head... -_-" sorry...
OH. something about Dogs. yes.
Ninashi and Mignot: found dogs inherited a faulty gene which is why they have narcolepsy, but this doesn't apply to humans as Mignot et al found because out of 16 twins, only 4 pairs had narcolepsy

something to do with brain trauma and brain damage... and something to do with orexin or Hcrt.

I love the way you wrote that, just spurting out your thoughts onto the keyboard aha :tongue:
do you guys think the evolutionary theories of jealousy and infidelity will come up for aggression?

i think it came up in january. some one uploaded the paper a few pages back if you want to check
Reply 1232

No - it was a 25 marker in Jan 2011!
Reply 1233
Original post by safwaansh
supposing group displays comes up can i write about deindividuation and talk about zimbardo's studies and link it to lynch mobs. then do a alternative approach in the form of evolution then use evolution explanation to explain religious displays. would that work or doesn't deindividuation count as one?

My teacher said deindividuation counts, yeah :smile: I plan on doing it!
I couldn't say about the evolution explanation though :s-smilie:
Reply 1234
predictions for Aggression/Eating/Relationships????????
Fingers crossed it's evolution for food !!

I bet though, if they have most of the topics that haven't come up - the grade boundaries will be super high, cause it would have been easy to predict.

I don't think they have asked them specifically yet and as they are mentioned as compulsory to learn in the spec, they might ask us about it to be mean :frown:

There thankfully isn't that much to learn though...but hopefully they don't ask us about it cause it's my weakest topic in aggression :s-smilie:
Reply 1237
Original post by liamcol123
Haha, ahh wow! It's an awful position to be in, I don't wanna go tooooo far in revision for this, and get like an A, but do awful in my other subjects.. (not that I'd be able to easily get an A, just hoping the predictions come up! / grade boundarys are low.

what are your predictions????
My teacher said deindividuation counts, yeah :smile: I plan on doing it!
I couldn't say about the evolution explanation though :s-smilie:

thank god! there's so much to write for deindividuation. yh i'm sure evolution counts as one. thats the only explanation i have for religious displays.
Reply 1239
Original post by j211
predictions for Aggression/Eating/Relationships????????

Aggression : neural and hormonal/group displays
Relationships: maintenances/breakdown/sexual selection

from what hasnt come up anyway..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending