The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, I'm looking for some new music. Could you suggest me some stuff? Preferably bands so that I could use them in church for when we play :smile: People I already have: Hillsong/Hillsong London, Matt Redman, Tim Hughes, Soul Survivor, Jesus Culture, Chris Tomlin, Ben Cantelon, David Crowder Band. But yea, any and all suggestions welcome!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Facticity
Hey guys, I'm looking for some new music. Could you suggest me some stuff? Preferably bands so that I could use them in church for when we play :smile: People I already have: Hillsong/Hillsong London, Matt Redman, Tim Hughes, Soul Survivor, Jesus Culture, Chris Tomlin, Ben Cantelon, David Crowder Band. But yea, any and all suggestions welcome!

Jon Foreman, Switchfoot, Phil Wickham, Lecrae, Trip Lee, Jahaziel.

Depends what kind of music you're interesting in...

If you want some Christian grime, you might want to try Victizzle

If you're interested in something a bit heavier, you could go for Underoath, As I Lay Dying, Blindside, P.O.D, or Brian Welch's [of Korn] new stuff. Can't see you playing any of that in church though :tongue:
Original post by dreiviergrenadier

If you're interested in something a bit heavier, you could go for Underoath, As I Lay Dying, Blindside, P.O.D, or Brian Welch's [of Korn] new stuff. Can't see you playing any of that in church though :tongue:

Perfect! :teeth: I was actually meaning if anyone would have any quite heavy stuff, I have got quite a few hardcore bands and a couple metal. I was scared to ask in case I looked strange :colondollar: But yes, I wouldn't be playing any of that in church, that would just be for me. :wink: Though, our youth band do tend to play a lot of the heavier stuff outside of church services :awesome:

I'm not too into grime but that may just be because I haven't listened to much of it :tongue: I'll check those out, thanks a lot!

Thanks for reminding me of Brian Welch. Just listening to him on Spotify now, pretty awesome!
Here's his testimony, very moving - http://www.iamsecond.com/seconds/brian-welch/

Also I never realised Welch was a Christian! I love Korn, I saw them a few years back at Reading I think, however it was after Welch had left - I never realised he left because he became Christian.

EDIT: And according to JB Johnstone he has a testimony - that sounds interesting.
Perfect! :teeth: I was actually meaning if anyone would have any quite heavy stuff, I have got quite a few hardcore bands and a couple metal. I was scared to ask in case I looked strange :colondollar: But yes, I wouldn't be playing any of that in church, that would just be for me. :wink: Though, our youth band do tend to play a lot of the heavier stuff outside of church services :awesome:

I'm not too into grime but that may just be because I haven't listened to much of it :tongue: I'll check those out, thanks a lot!

I think there must be at least a couple of metalheads on this thread! Definitely don't be ashamed... I don't actually like grime at all though, I just saw someone mention it someone on TSR the other day.

I do get pretty fed up with church music sometimes - you should definitely try out a heavy song at least once! Sometimes I just feel like the whole thing's a bit too lovey-dovey (this is especially directed at all things Phil Wickham). Most songs one could probably sing to one's lover with few/no alterations. It just makes me thing - why aren't we representing God's anger musically?

Check this out though!

Original post by JB Johnstone
Thanks for reminding me of Brian Welch. Just listening to him on Spotify now, pretty awesome!
Here's his testimony, very moving - http://www.iamsecond.com/seconds/brian-welch/

Yeah, I read his testimony the other day, it's quite cool. I'm still shocked that Alice Cooper is a Christian though...
I think there must be at least a couple of metalheads on this thread! Definitely don't be ashamed... I don't actually like grime at all though, I just saw someone mention it someone on TSR the other day.

Not ashamed, simply worried, people often give looks of bemusement when you mention rock and religion in the same sentence. I don't know why. No, I don't like grime and even after listening to your suggestion, I have not budged very much on that opinion...

I do get pretty fed up with church music sometimes - you should definitely try out a heavy song at least once! Sometimes I just feel like the whole thing's a bit too lovey-dovey (this is especially directed at all things Phil Wickham). Most songs one could probably sing to one's lover with few/no alterations. It just makes me thing - why aren't we representing God's anger musically?

You may have a point, I think it depends on what it is. I can enjoy people like Hillsong quite a lot because they have a large variety of songs and maybe even Jesus Culture. However, I cannot last through the majority of hymns, unless its a particular favourite, they feel too old, odd to sing and generally not musically engaging for the most part. I'm lucky as my church is quite contemporary with music and can be adventurous but I know what you mean about lovey dovey from my old church. I've never thought of it as representing God's anger but certainly representing a passionate uprising musically is what I see in rock.

Check this out though!

Oh wow! That is certainly daring. I don't know how it would work out though, it may be good conceptually but I don't know how it would be realistically - guess you would have to visit to know. If I ever go to Columbia, I will definitely check it out!

Yeah, I read his testimony the other day, it's quite cool. I'm still shocked that Alice Cooper is a Christian though...

He is? o_O A quick google search says you're right. I would have never guessed it, mind you how one acts publicly can be drastically different to how they feel privately. I guess its good to know Christianity is reaching even the rockstars.
Reply 4448
Not ashamed, simply worried, people often give looks of bemusement when you mention rock and religion in the same sentence. I don't know why. No, I don't like grime and even after listening to your suggestion, I have not budged very much on that opinion...

You may have a point, I think it depends on what it is. I can enjoy people like Hillsong quite a lot because they have a large variety of songs and maybe even Jesus Culture. However, I cannot last through the majority of hymns, unless its a particular favourite, they feel too old, odd to sing and generally not musically engaging for the most part. I'm lucky as my church is quite contemporary with music and can be adventurous but I know what you mean about lovey dovey from my old church. I've never thought of it as representing God's anger but certainly representing a passionate uprising musically is what I see in rock.

Oh wow! That is certainly daring. I don't know how it would work out though, it may be good conceptually but I don't know how it would be realistically - guess you would have to visit to know. If I ever go to Columbia, I will definitely check it out!

He is? o_O A quick google search says you're right. I would have never guessed it, mind you how one acts publicly can be drastically different to how they feel privately. I guess its good to know Christianity is reaching even the rockstars.

Cool i didn't know this about you, which bands do you listen to. Is it christian rock or something? I've listen to theological songs before, but the words were more cryptic.
(edited 12 years ago)

Me neither, but then again, I have no idea what he's saying half the time...

Have you never come across this before?

Alice Cooper
Drinking beer is easy. Trashing your hotel room is easy. But being a Christian, that's a tough call. That's real rebellion!
I love him! I've grown so much from his audio sermons.
In the middle of reading "Think" right now, all about how Christians should be thinkers, and how we can use our brains to glorify God.

What do you think of Francis Chan?

I think our whole CU bought "think" after it was heavily promo'd at house party last year... I thought it was a good basic idea, but not worth a whole book devoted to the matter when it wasn't delved into that much!
I've not really read / heard any Francis Chan, what do you think?

You need to do some vegan baking on your blog :tongue:

I did make a vegan tangine, know that's not actually baking, but it's a start :p: I'd imagine vegan baking's quite hard, surely? Given butter is such a key ingredient, though mind you I did once try substituting soya-spread for butter in the sticky toffee pudding in order to suit a lactose-intolerant friend, which worked ok, though was slightly odd!

Original post by meatball893
Just curious... why do you think that? :smile: I don't know anything about John Piper... :redface:

Both of:

He's reformed, which I guess is why some don't like him.

I assumed it was because some of the people here are quite passionately egalitarian (as shown in the last few pages!).

The society does seem quite liberal and not very Reformed/Evangelical! Nonetheless, he's got some good stuff to say :smile:

Re prosperity gospel chat, I found CultWatch a really interesting website, made by some Christians, and has a bit on the prosperity gospel. And also, a good video on the subject (Piper again, actually):
(edited 12 years ago)

Original post by Core
Cool i didn't know this about you, which bands do you listen to. Is it christian rock or something? I've listen to theological songs before, but the words were more cryptic.

Well, it depends what you mean. I listen to all kinds of music from soft rock/pop to hardcore, I don't see a genre of music as a viable divide for what should be allowed to be considered 'Christian'. I mean it varies like I said, here I'll show you, it will get progressively heavier (All Christian Bands):

Make sure you have headphones in!

Spoiler

EDIT: Fixed the order.

Yea, so as you can see, my Christian music taste varies a lot! From very light to very heavy. The great thing is that many people non-Christian and atheist all listen to all this music despite being aware of its central theme, which I quite like - I have gotten quite a lot of my friends coming with me to Christian events just because of the music - some got further into the faith as well. What do you mean by theological songs? I'm not familiar with that term.

dreiviergrenadier
Have you never come across this before?

Alice Cooper
Drinking beer is easy. Trashing your hotel room is easy. But being a Christian, that's a tough call. That's real rebellion!

When I google searched him when you mentioned it, I saw that. I must admit I was slightly confused though. I'm not sure what he means by this, I mean being Christian isn't going to affect his career, and I'm unsure what exactly he is rebelling against (apart from a non-Christian world view). I don't know, he seemed to be doing all those and more, so I was confused by that to say the least; especially because he was not vocal nor seemed to be actively practising Christianity :dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sparklysparkles

Re prosperity gospel chat, I found CultWatch a really interesting website, made by some Christians, and has a bit on the prosperity gospel. And also, a good video on the subject (Piper again, actually):

I love it. That little girl bit was a bit extreme though, I'm not sure how I felt about that... But about the prosperity gospel, I 100% agree with him.
(edited 12 years ago)

Oh, the irony. He sung about being elected and it turns out he is.

Dave Mustaine too.
I flopped my chemistry paper (really, really badly). Unfortunately, this has
probably extended my road to medicine... Again. :frown:

Finding it so hard to re-focus at the moment.
(edited 12 years ago)
I did make a vegan tangine, know that's not actually baking, but it's a start :p: I'd imagine vegan baking's quite hard, surely? Given butter is such a key ingredient, though mind you I did once try substituting soya-spread for butter in the sticky toffee pudding in order to suit a lactose-intolerant friend, which worked ok, though was slightly odd!

I've never really had a problem swapping butter for other things (I normally use Stork in the UK), it's eggs that are more difficult. Do you ever blog about law-related topics? I've never had the chance to compare with a Scottish law student.

The society does seem quite liberal and not very Reformed/Evangelical! Nonetheless, he's got some good stuff to say :smile:

I think most people here are fairly evangelical, I can only think of 2/3 posters here who are actually liberal. I think if we discussed something like Biblical authority instead of gender roles you'd see the difference :tongue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozCnrPeUrzM
Cool band I just found called Scandinavian Metal Praise.
I've never really had a problem swapping butter for other things (I normally use Stork in the UK), it's eggs that are more difficult. Do you ever blog about law-related topics? I've never had the chance to compare with a Scottish law student.

I think most people here are fairly evangelical, I can only think of 2/3 posters here who are actually liberal. I think if we discussed something like Biblical authority instead of gender roles you'd see the difference :tongue:

I think the Bible is inspired. What about you?
When I google searched him when you mentioned it, I saw that. I must admit I was slightly confused though. I'm not sure what he means by this, I mean being Christian isn't going to affect his career, and I'm unsure what exactly he is rebelling against (apart from a non-Christian world view). I don't know, he seemed to be doing all those and more, so I was confused by that to say the least; especially because he was not vocal nor seemed to be actively practising Christianity :dontknow:

I don't really know much about him beyond that to be honest, except that on wikipedia it quotes him as saying he's not a theologian/philosopher (he considers himself fairly unintelligent), so he doesn't try arguing things in public, and just sticks to his music.
Grr. I keep being unsubscribed from this thread :angry:

Latest

Trending

Trending