The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lumi Nous
if everyone on here has failed as badly as they claim, Oxford's going to be pretty empty next year :rolleyes:

But on the plus side, it seems like everybody is very modest!
Reply 1741
Original post by Y.D
French tommorows going to be painful, can just see myself making up the most ridiculous things in the essay:s-smilie:

I'm with you there, I have a few essay plans that I know will disappear right out of my head as soon as I sit down, as long as my grammar is ok I don't really care what I write lol :tongue:
Original post by Revolution is my Name
When is Fresher's week, exactly? Is that the week beginning Sunday 9th October (the term date on the website), or the week before that?

I emailed my college to ask when they'd expect me to be moving in and they said 2nd October (that may vary, though)
Original post by Revolution is my Name
Oooh, that's nice and early. So do you/ anyone else in the know reckon there wouldn't be anything official-ish/ "miss this and you've missed your chance to make friends"-ish that I'd be missing on Friday 14th if I went to a gig in London?

I dunno. I'm missing one in London on Wednesday 5th October (that's why I emailed, to check if I could make it to that). I reckon you'll be fine on that Friday, but don't take my word for it!
Reply 1744
Original post by Frankie
I'm with you there, I have a few essay plans that I know will disappear right out of my head as soon as I sit down, as long as my grammar is ok I don't really care what I write lol :tongue:

French wise, I'm the opposite. I've got Prevert coming out my ears having focused on the essay for so long.

I've only just remembered that we'll be asked other questions. That we'll be expected to listen to, and understand french!! :eek:

Ah well. Ah well. Hmmmmmmmm..... :s-smilie:
I think we should all just do distinctly average on the French exam tomorrow, so that either:
a) the grade boundaries get moved down. A lot.
b) nobody who does French gets into Oxford, and we can file some sort of complaint or something :tongue:

Foolproof, no?

ok not foolproof, desperate, but you knowwww :colondollar:
Hi Oxford Offer Holders,
I was wondering if you could tell me what universities and what grades you have as your insurance option? I'm in Yr12 at the moment, looking at universities and I want to know that I'm looking at the right range- I would obviously love a place to study History at Oxford but I realise this may be a dream too far....
Reply 1747
Original post by Gromit94
Hi Oxford Offer Holders,
I was wondering if you could tell me what universities and what grades you have as your insurance option? I'm in Yr12 at the moment, looking at universities and I want to know that I'm looking at the right range- I would obviously love a place to study History at Oxford but I realise this may be a dream too far....

My insurance is York, English and History, AAA.
All my offers turned out AAA. Yeah, I really didn't think that through... :nah:
Reply 1748
Hi Oxford Offer Holders,

Hi, I'm doing History and Politics, my insurance is LSE: Government and History which is AAB, I had 3 AAA offers and 2 AAB.
Hi Oxford Offer Holders,

My insuance is Bristol, who offered me 360pts from maths physics and further maths, which is AAA or A*AB or A*A*C, so gives me more flexability.
Hi Oxford Offer Holders,

Hey, my insurance is AAB from St. Andrews for History:smile:
Original post by flywithemma
We're doing Tess of the D'Urbervilles, She Stoops to Conquer, Blue Remembered Hills and the post 1945 poetry. Yey the pastoral! I'm ok with quotes for 3 of them, but then She Stoops I'm a bit iffy with...great, seeing as it's the one we HAVE to write about somewhere. I'm glad there's a choice of 3 section B questions, hopefully means there's going to be at least one nice one.

And YEY. I can't wait till Friday. Although none of my friends will have finished yet, so I'll have to try not to be tooo smug :colondollar:

How did you find the exam today? Nice questions?
Hi Oxford Offer Holders,

My insurance is UCL and I need AAB. My other offers were AAB and ABB (and a rejection which would have been AAA if I had been offered a place!)
Original post by LtCommanderData
I had an exam today. I noticed a mistake (worth 8/75 marks) right as the bloke said "stop writing". I think I got another question wrong too, so altogether not the best exam I've ever taken.

It won't affect my offer though, thank goodness

Which exam was that?
Hi Oxford Offer Holders,

My insurance choice is ABB/AAB depending on what grade I receive in chemistry. For my other offers I had 2x ABB and a BBB. Though I think for biochem, there just generally aren't that many that will offer higher unless I'd have applied to UCL or Imperial..
BUT since you'd like to study history, I guess this doesn't matter. :colondollar:
I wanted to put either Imperial or Warwick as my insurance but both their offers were A*AA. I withdrew my application from Bath which left me with Southampton, which is AAB :smile:
Hi Oxford Offer Holders,

Original post by marieparis22
Hey, my insurance is AAB from St. Andrews for History:smile:

Me too! My insurance is St Andrews, AAB. :smile:

Offer wise, I got 3 AAA offers and two AAB offers.
Original post by marieparis22
How did you find the exam today? Nice questions?

Yes! The paper itself was lovely, although I think I've managed to mess it up a bit. Didn't write much for one of the texts in section B, and should have written about the part A text (the poetry) again instead...but oh well. THINK I'll have got the C I needed in this paper. How about you?
Might come right down to the boundaries on results day! Maths went out of the window earlier, so I'm relying on History, Psychology and English Lit to come through for me. Lit and Psych should be ok, but that bloody History paper. If I miss out by a few UMS I shan't be happy.
Hi Oxford Offer Holders,

My insurance is Sheffield AAB

Other places I applied to:

Leeds: AAB (A in geography)
Lancaster: ABB
Leicester: ABB

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending