The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JB Johnstone
I think the Bible is inspired. What about you?

I walked right into that one :tongue:

What do you mean by inspired?
Original post by Tzarchasm
I flopped my chemistry paper (really, really badly). Unfortunately, this has
probably extended my road to medicine... Again. :frown:

Finding it so hard to re-focus at the moment.

Unlucky mate. Well you never know, I thought I did badly on my Chemistry last year but it came out well, sometimes post exam stress can get to you :console:

Don't let this (potential) slip up stop your revision of everything else, I understand it can be hard when you worry about the exam you just did, but the best thing to do is to do an exam and forget about it until the last exam otherwise as you said, it'l just affect your concentration :smile:

What other subjects do you have left?

Original post by dreiviergrenadier
I don't really know much about him beyond that to be honest, except that on wikipedia it quotes him as saying he's not a theologian/philosopher (he considers himself fairly unintelligent), so he doesn't try arguing things in public, and just sticks to his music.

I don't know too much about him but I know he lived a 'rocker' lifestyle in the 90's sense of living hard and partying hard. But then again, I could just be mistaken. I'm glad though that he at least came out with his religion, hiding his faith isn't the best way of being a Christian but again I don't know him that well so I can't comment on his life - neither do I want to judge him. I wonder who else is a 'quiet' Christian in the superstar scene...

^^ TROLLololololol :2euk48l:
I walked right into that one :tongue:

What do you mean by inspired?

:smile:

I mean that God, through the Holy Spirit, word for word moved men to write the original copies of the scriptures.
The best way to look at scripture is like this; that it is like Christ. Fully man and fully God. Scripture is written by men but with the aid of the Holy Spirit, thus it to is fully written by humans and fully written by God
I've never really had a problem swapping butter for other things (I normally use Stork in the UK), it's eggs that are more difficult. Do you ever blog about law-related topics? I've never had the chance to compare with a Scottish law student.

I think most people here are fairly evangelical, I can only think of 2/3 posters here who are actually liberal. I think if we discussed something like Biblical authority instead of gender roles you'd see the difference :tongue:

Ohhhh, totally forgot about eggs :redface: In fairness, we keep our own chickens and use their eggs... out of curiosity, would you have a problem with that? I don't know any vegans, though I know Christians who have differing views on the ethics of vegetarianism, ranging from "God gave us the creatures" and "From Acts, 'everything is clean'" to "we didn't eat meat before the Fall".

I don't blog about law subjects, really, used to do a bit of politicking on a previous blog but decided to focus on something fun that non-law friends and people could relate to! If you've got any particular questions, I'd happily answer a pm though :smile: And incidentally, I always use Stork (and latterly, the 2kg Tesco/Asda-own substitute tubs) interchangeably with butter... I bake so much I need to find ways to cheaply substitute expensive ingredients as much as possible without compromising on taste!

I must say, I can't see (potentially inflammatory statement, but there you go...) how people can be Christians without being evangelical with their faith; it always struck me as quite a silly label. If you're not, you're essentially avoiding Jesus saying both "I am the way, the truth and the life; no-one comes to the Father except through me" and also "Go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit".

EDIT: and also, :ditto: - not heard it put like that before, but that's a good way of thinking about it, I think
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sparklysparkles

I must say, I can't see (potentially inflammatory statement, but there you go...) how people can be Christians without being evangelical with their faith; it always struck me as quite a silly label. If you're not, you're essentially avoiding Jesus saying both "I am the way, the truth and the life; no-one comes to the Father except through me" and also "Go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit".

EDIT: and also, :ditto: - not heard it put like that before, but that's a good way of thinking about it, I think

What do you mean by evangelical?
Reply 4467
Original post by Facticity
Fair enough, I guess I got ahead of myself, I apologize. Though, I am not entirely sure about this last line: I don't think its as simple as everyone will be blessed in every way God can, because we can see from the world that many people with pure ans strong beliefs do not always have an easy life. I think its good to pray and hope and believe and be optimistic however I also think we as a church should also come together to help those who perhaps are not as fortunate; I think being fortunate and blessed are different - you can be blessed but not fortunate and vice versa. Having money is fine and wanting your family to have a comfortable life is good, however I don't think living with millions whilst some live with nothing is what God would want.

I have to agree with this.. I am blessed with God's love, his mercy and forgiveness however I, as do all christians also have suffering in my life. I wouldn't call myself fortunate but then I know others have it worse.

Not sure if ive explained myself well.
What do you mean by evangelical?

Spreading the gospel and giving others the opportunity to respond and start following Jesus for themselves, I would have said.
Does anyone else have close Christian friends leaving? Some of them I'm ok with, because I know we'll still talk and another I want to ask to stay, but I know I can't because it wouldn't be fair and besides which, I have no right to. I can't even ask them to stay in touch.
Hey guys, I'm looking for some new music. Could you suggest me some stuff? Preferably bands so that I could use them in church for when we play :smile: People I already have: Hillsong/Hillsong London, Matt Redman, Tim Hughes, Soul Survivor, Jesus Culture, Chris Tomlin, Ben Cantelon, David Crowder Band. But yea, any and all suggestions welcome!

For band stuff for Church: Delirious?, Emu Music (pretty sure all their tabs etc are available free online)

Original post by rainbowbex
Does anyone else have close Christian friends leaving? Some of them I'm ok with, because I know we'll still talk and another I want to ask to stay, but I know I can't because it wouldn't be fair and besides which, I have no right to. I can't even ask them to stay in touch.

Leaving where? Because I've been on Christian summer camps for past 5 years I'm used to saying goodbye to Christian friends (often with tears), and it does totally suck, but I've found even ones who I haven't talked to throughout the year will be my friend when next year comes round!
Original post by greeneyedgirl
For band stuff for Church: Delirious?, Emu Music (pretty sure all their tabs etc are available free online)

Leaving where? Because I've been on Christian summer camps for past 5 years I'm used to saying goodbye to Christian friends (often with tears), and it does totally suck, but I've found even ones who I haven't talked to throughout the year will be my friend when next year comes round!

Graduating, so Church and the City. I think it sucks more in some cases because I feel the friendship still has room to Grow
Graduating, so Church and the City. I think it sucks more in some cases because I feel the friendship still has room to Grow

Well movement doesn't mean the friendship can't grow! I find Christian friends are the ones I manage to keep in touch with the best (prayer requests etc.) I'll be praying that you manage to make it work :smile:
Original post by 22KT22
I have to agree with this.. I am blessed with God's love, his mercy and forgiveness however I, as do all christians also have suffering in my life. I wouldn't call myself fortunate but then I know others have it worse.

Not sure if ive explained myself well.

You explained it very well :smile:

Spreading the gospel and giving others the opportunity to respond and start following Jesus for themselves, I would have said.

Ah okay, I asked because you had said people were liberal and not evangelical, but as dreivier said, I would definitely say only a couple are liberal and well I would think the majority are evangelical. But I mean, people get different ideas of what you mean by evangelism - some people think it means going into the street to witness, some think this is talking to people you know about it and some think it can be as subtle as living your life the best you can and setting an example for your beliefs or even just changing your life and telling others its because of your belief. I don't know how exactly everyone would be evangelical however I would say everyone is evangelical in some way (if they are honestly trying to genuinely be Christian). So I guess I'd agree with you, in that I don't see how you couldn't be evangelical :tongue:
Hey guys, I'm looking for some new music. Could you suggest me some stuff? Preferably bands so that I could use them in church for when we play :smile: People I already have: Hillsong/Hillsong London, Matt Redman, Tim Hughes, Soul Survivor, Jesus Culture, Chris Tomlin, Ben Cantelon, David Crowder Band. But yea, any and all suggestions welcome!

oh dear, I could go on for a while:s-smilie:...anyhow: Downhere/Lifehouse/Jars of clay/Red/nevertheless/tenth avenue north/sanctus real/fee

If you're interested in something a bit heavier, you could go for Underoath, As I Lay Dying, Blindside, P.O.D, or Brian Welch's [of Korn] new stuff. Can't see you playing any of that in church though :tongue:

or Demon hunter or HB (their finnish ones are better) or flyleaf or thousand foot krutch or...

maybe you should just look through here please ignore my v. old profile pic

I think there must be at least a couple of metalheads on this thread! Definitely don't be ashamed... I don't actually like grime at all though, I just saw someone mention it someone on TSR the other day.

I do get pretty fed up with church music sometimes - you should definitely try out a heavy song at least once! Sometimes I just feel like the whole thing's a bit too lovey-dovey (this is especially directed at all things Phil Wickham). Most songs one could probably sing to one's lover with few/no alterations. It just makes me thing - why aren't we representing God's anger musically?

:hello:
worship music does grate sometimes, especially when I'm feeling really down and it's all 'God is amazing and isn't life brilliant?' which makes me want to throw a brick at it. :ditto: with the anger thing, although I would also include passion as well.

Well, it depends what you mean. I listen to all kinds of music from soft rock/pop to hardcore, I don't see a genre of music as a viable divide for what should be allowed to be considered 'Christian'. I mean it varies like I said, here I'll show you, it will get progressively heavier (All Christian Bands):

:yep: me too. Though I've yet to find any symphonic metal or italian christian bands...

Original post by Tzarchasm
I flopped my chemistry paper (really, really badly). Unfortunately, this has
probably extended my road to medicine... Again. :frown:

Finding it so hard to re-focus at the moment.

I know how you feel, esp. as I managed to take a rather windy route to medicine, but if you want to do it, there are ways. Just keep going:wink:

:jumphug: But they'll still appreciate a letter from you. My problem is not that my xian friends are leaving, but that they are wandering away and there is nothing I can do about it.
Original post by Lantana

:jumphug: But they'll still appreciate a letter from you. My problem is not that my xian friends are leaving, but that they are wandering away and there is nothing I can do about it.

:frown: I think you deserve the hug more than me, there is always something you can do. You can pray :smile: xxx
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Well movement doesn't mean the friendship can't grow! I find Christian friends are the ones I manage to keep in touch with the best (prayer requests etc.) I'll be praying that you manage to make it work :smile:

Thanks. I'm gonna pray about it and see what God speaks to me. I feel like I'm going to miss my window of opportunity or something daft like that. Daft.
Reply 4477

I've got quite into Gungor recently. They call themselves "liturgical post-rock", and though I can see the influence, I think they're a bit too lyrical for that - definitely hear some Muse influence though. : )

P.S. I think there's more than two or three of us liberals here. :p: Granted, we are perhaps disproportionately vocal...
(edited 12 years ago)
Pretty cool - did you know that the gospel writers usually refer to Jesus as either Jesus or Jesus Christ, with his personal name first and his title "Christ" (Messiah) second, because that is how the gospel writers and people who had been around Him knew Him, as a man first and then as Lord and Messiah.
Paul, however, first saw Him in glory on the Damascus road, he knew Him first as Messiah, and then personally as Jesus. Thus, Paul refers to Him a lot more as Christ Jesus.

Cool, huh.
Thanks. I'm gonna pray about it and see what God speaks to me. I feel like I'm going to miss my window of opportunity or something daft like that. Daft.

Power of prayer, a wonderful thing!

Latest

Trending

Trending