The Student Room Group

Psychology A Unit 3 AQA - 17th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Hi. So scared now. Taking a risk and learning mainly predicted topics:!
Anyway can someone read my essay on group display for aggression. What grade do you think it is. How shall i improve. What else can i add to it?

Aggression can often be seen in groups. For example at sporting events because sporting events are competitive and often display anger through words or gestures. However there is much evidence to explain why aggression occurs in crowds at these sports events. Firstly, when there is a crowd individuals feel anonymous and lose all self care and they are therefore more aggressive. Often, the larger the crowd the more anonymous the people feel and the more loss of identity occurs. This idea is supported by Le Bon’s Contagion theory which also suggests that in a crowd, individual will lose their self responsibility.
With regards to sports events, social learning theory can play a part in explaining aggression. This is because people see the players as role models and they imitate the behaviour observed. Research to support this was seen in the NIRS study where it was found that there is a link between US football matches and aggression. However, the study was a correlational study so it does not prove cause and effect. The study also cannot be generalised as it is culture specific to the US which is generally a country that encourages competitiveness.
Furthermore, Marsh et al found that contact aggression was not the norm and in reports from Strathclyde, Marsh found that after a match between the Celtics and rangers there was only five arrests out of 500,000 fans. Overall the findings are mixed and it cannot be decided for sure why aggression occurs at sporting events. However, from the research, March suggests that aggression at sports events is a concept which is glamorised by the media.
Another real life event which displays aggression is the Lynch Mobs that can be normally seen in the US. Lynch mobs are groups who collectively target and kill and individual. There are two explanations for the Lynch mobs in the US. Firstly, the Sociological Power Threat which bases the aggression on the minority increasing along with the amount of lynchings increasing at the same time. This is because the Lynch mobs are seen as an increasing threat. Secondly, the Self attention theory which suggests the numbers of lynchings increases and the number of lynch members increases. Research the support the self attention theory is based on US newspaper reports and photographic evidence. However, this theory could also be explained by Deindividuation, which suggests that individuals in a crowd lose their own personal identity and the crowd has one identity as a whole. Deindividuated behaviour is unrestrained and when individuals are acting on impulses with no self awareness. On the other hand, Leightweis Goff argues that Deindividuation does not account for the vindictive and blood thirsty nature on the lynch mobs.
To conclude, the evidence suggesting football crowds have no contact usually is a complete contrast to the Lynch mobs, therefore this would suggest there are different motives that draw crowds together, which may or may not result in aggression. Lastly, it is also important not to forget that not all crowds are aggressive and result in any kind of aggression so there must be a variety of factors that influence the outcome of aggression.

Thanks in advance.

Also why is hardly anyone doing perception? :s-smilie:
I'm so nervous about tomorrow! I've got this exam in the morning because i've got French in the afternoon :frown:
I think bed is in order.. Good luck tomorrow guys!
I'm hoping for;
Relationships: Influence of early attachment on adult relationships orrrr Breakdown
Biorhythms: Consequences of disrupting biological rhythms orr that & Nature of sleep
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Strawberrycayk
Exactly! I think I might add a little hate note for the examiner at the end... if I have the time that is. Most likely to be in tears by the time that's over.

1 hour 30 minutes to write all that crap :/ *******s! :frown:

I knooow it's so annoying, but the good thing is grade boundaries are usually low for this because people run out of time :/ but still....it's a bit stupid.

I'm definitely staying up tonight and I'm so happy it's in the afternoon!
Reply 1363
Anyone have synoptic/evaluation points on evolutionary perspective? please help!!
Original post by Jess6893
I'm so nervous about tomorrow! I've got this exam in the morning because i've got French in the afternoon :frown:
I think bed is in order.. Good luck tomorrow guys!
I'm hoping for;
Relationships: Influence of early attachment on adult relationships orrrr Breakdown
Biorhythms: Consequences of disrupting biological rhythms orr that & Nature of sleep

I'm in the same situation with it being in the morning. Damn you exam clashes ):<
Original post by YaboyNathan
erm mate im abit baffled on the peer interactions bit, like one of the questions i was going to practice was
'discuss the influence of parent-child relationships and interactions with peers on adult relationships?'

but would i have to purely speak on interaction with peers, or would parental investment and parent offspring conflict fall under that aswel?

The question will most likely ask explanations for early attachments on adulthood relationships OR peer interactions, as there isn't much on peer interactions, therefore you would refer to people like Hazan and Shaver, who conducted the Love Quiz study and found securely attached individuals were twice as likely to remain in a adult relationship than an insecurely-avoidant/ambivalent individual.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
In eating disorders can they ask on a specific disorder? We were told to revise only Anorexia...
Does anyone have an essay on the influence of childhood experiences on adult relationships, or could recommend a structure? im really confused!
Is anyone doing Intelligence?? nobody's mentioned it yet..
Reply 1369
Original post by joelmole100
In eating disorders can they ask on a specific disorder? We were told to revise only Anorexia...

Nope they can't because in the spec it always say explanations for 'one eating disorder.' I've only done anorexia too but have been given a little on bulimia just as extra info...
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by snur112
Nope they can't because in the spec it always say explanations for 'one eating disorder.' I've only done anorexia too but have been given a little on bulimia just as extra info...
Hope this helps :smile:

Don't think I've ever felt this happy the night before an exam :biggrin:
Anyone fancy going over gender?
Reply 1372
Original post by cor_fortis

*raises hand*
Me Me Me!
Its the most horrific topic ever :'(
According to this thread, the prediction is for Evolution to come up, but tbh you never know with the way exams are going this year :frown:
GOOD LUCK!
Original post by joelmole100
Don't think I've ever felt this happy the night before an exam :biggrin:

Same this time i have accepted failure haha
Reply 1374
Original post by EmilyBrown
Same this time i have accepted failure haha

Me too :tongue:
Up until about 3 hours ago I was feeling quite confident as well... Eurgh.
I don't want to do Psychology anymore! :frown:
Bye Bye Uni... :mad:
Original post by Kakashi
Heres some a plan for Neural/hormonal mechanisms...

Thats all for Neural/hormonal explanations.. hope it helps lol :smile:

yesss it has a lot!!! thank youuu!!
I'm so stressed lol what predictions for

Intelligence, relationships and bio R??
Original post by Smilie :)
Does anyone have an essay on the influence of childhood experiences on adult relationships, or could recommend a structure? im really confused!

Yep I could take pic n email u
Original post by TGBuble
Me too :tongue:
Up until about 3 hours ago I was feeling quite confident as well... Eurgh.
I don't want to do Psychology anymore! :frown:
Bye Bye Uni... :mad:

Aww chin up. Were good to others. You see failing we lower the grade boundries for others. I have worked out i need a raw mark of around 15 marks for an overall E. I aim high as you can tell..
Original post by cor_fortis

I'm doing it!!!! I think cc and oc is gna show up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending