The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Foundation Science at UEA - Your experience and feedback please

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm looking to go down the Environmental route. However I'm currently torn between Norwich and Leeds as I have unconditional offers for both. I'm gonna try to decide which to go for this week then confirm my choice. I've been um'ing and ar'ing about it for a few weeks and it's starting to do my head in!
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 41
I did the Science foundation year in 2007, it was a really helpful year, and a bit of a laugh. My OH who was a mature student found it really helpful for getting back into the swing of being in education.

Though don't allow the ease of it to get you into bad habits! Get yourself into a routine and make sure you learn your way around the library. Trust me when I say the 'ahh it's fine, I can do this in the two hours before it's due in' mentality is damned near impossible to get out of if you allow yourself to fall into it.

Also *shameless plug* I recommend the Assassins society if you like the idea of stalking people round campus with nerf guns *grins sweetly*
Reply 42
Original post by Belwickety
I did the Science foundation year in 2007, it was a really helpful year, and a bit of a laugh. My OH who was a mature student found it really helpful for getting back into the swing of being in education.

Though don't allow the ease of it to get you into bad habits! Get yourself into a routine and make sure you learn your way around the library. Trust me when I say the 'ahh it's fine, I can do this in the two hours before it's due in' mentality is damned near impossible to get out of if you allow yourself to fall into it.

Also *shameless plug* I recommend the Assassins society if you like the idea of stalking people round campus with nerf guns *grins sweetly*

Thank you for your input. How much contact time did you get a week and also, what did you go on to?
I just go my offer for the science foundation year :smile: and looking through the threads, it seems like I'm going to be the only non-mature student going there.

Also, does anyone know if we'll be charged £9,000 once we've progressed onto year 1 of our course?
Reply 44
Your course is classed as a 4 year Bsc (with foundation year), not a 1 year foundation plus another 3 year Bsc. So starting in 2011 means that you pay this years fees (plus inflation) for the 4 years.
When I started in 2008, you paid half-fees for year 0, but that is finished now.
It is a good intro to science. Enjoy.
Original post by mrdoovde1

I just go my offer for the science foundation year :smile: and looking through the threads, it seems like I'm going to be the only non-mature student going there.

Also, does anyone know if we'll be charged £9,000 once we've progressed onto year 1 of our course?

I'm new to this..all these 'threads' confuse me....but wanted to say, I'll be starting this course this year, hoping to go on to Pharmacy, and i'm non-mature...gonna be my 4th year of A-level level study :/ Just re-did year 13 at school, and still not getting the grades :/
Reply 46
^Good luck Emma. Have you got any Pharmacy experience yet?

Guess i'll be learning with some of you lot then. :smile:
Argh i wish it would email me when there's a reply..im new to forums..but finding them rather interesting and entertaining...although a major revision distraction...havent started revising yet and my exams are in a few days! However, i'll be doing this foundation year and already have enough points from my 1st time doing a-levels so this last year at school redoing my a2s has been a bit pointless. Anyway:- I have had experience yes - i'd actually forgotten about it! Basically I went for Pharmacy the 1st time i applied in yr13 (last year) but didnt get the required grades for anywhere (there was nothing below BBB in entry requirements) but yes, I'd done a weeks' work experience at Lloyds Pharmacy, a community pharmacy plus one day at a hospital pharmacy (which i hated and couldnt bear to do anymore days - this was in the october half term so it was taking up my own time but i thought it's look good to have some experience in both community and hospital) gosh, this seems so long ago now! Coz this last year ive been repeating my last year of skool and a-levels and had actually given up on pharmacy and settled for pharmacology at nottingham trent...but due to lack of accommodation I decided to go with my insurance which is UEA foundation year which means back to the pharmacy plan :] interested in psychiatric pharmacy.....REALLY sorry for the length, i cant help rambling!
Also, i saw you said you were 'technically mature'....i'm not being rude or anything, please dont bite my head off, but how old are you if you dont mind me asking? Im ever so slightly concerned that i'm going to be the only person around my age on the course...i'm 19. So just wondering :] I actually get on better with people a bit older than me, a lot of my friends/acquaintances are in their early-mid 20s..sorry if that question is inappropriate or anything, as i said im new to forums and not sure what the 'norms' are! :]
Reply 49
Original post by Emma Ramone
Also, i saw you said you were 'technically mature'....i'm not being rude or anything, please dont bite my head off, but how old are you if you dont mind me asking? Im ever so slightly concerned that i'm going to be the only person around my age on the course...i'm 19. So just wondering :] I actually get on better with people a bit older than me, a lot of my friends/acquaintances are in their early-mid 20s..sorry if that question is inappropriate or anything, as i said im new to forums and not sure what the 'norms' are! :]

If you mean me, i'm going to be 22 when I start (just barely lol).
Reply 50
I am hoping to apply through extra as well in the upcoming week, have enough points ~ 300 but through other subjects so needing to do this to get onto their pharmacy degree, is it relatively easy to get onto? Just a a matter of emailing/phoning to ask if there is places left and withdrawing my current uni offer and write a PS for them, and send off through UCAS Extra?

Cheers, look forward to being on the course with you guys! (Non mature too!)
Original post by GGecko
I am hoping to apply through extra as well in the upcoming week, have enough points ~ 300 but through other subjects so needing to do this to get onto their pharmacy degree, is it relatively easy to get onto? Just a a matter of emailing/phoning to ask if there is places left and withdrawing my current uni offer and write a PS for them, and send off through UCAS Extra?

Cheers, look forward to being on the course with you guys! (Non mature too!)

300's deffo enough points for the foundation, i only had 200 after my a-levels last year and it was enough hence the unconditional (so i couldve just accepted the offer in the 1st place and not bothered to resit my exams :/ )
:]
Reply 52
Original post by Emma Ramone
300's deffo enough points for the foundation, i only had 200 after my a-levels last year and it was enough hence the unconditional (so i couldve just accepted the offer in the 1st place and not bothered to resit my exams :/ )
:]

Thats great, are you after the foundation year completion GUARANTEED to get a spot for Pharmacy/Acturial science ?

Also to confirm it is the MPharm right making me a registered Pharmacist, not like Pharma studies and what not?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by GGecko
Thats great, are you after the foundation year completion GUARANTEED to get a spot for Pharmacy/Acturial science ?

Also to confirm it is the MPharm right making me a registered Pharmacist, not like Pharma studies and what not?

Yes MPharm is the course that will allow you to become a pharmacist. To get into pharmacy course, you would need to get 75% overall in the foundation year as well as 75% in certain modules. This only applies if you're currently doing or have already done a science A level. If you haven't done a science A level, then you would only need 70%.

For more information visit this: http://www.uea.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.172059!10-11%20SwFY%20Handbook%20FINAL.pdf (The entry requirements needed from the foundation year and specific modules to get into a course starts at page 16)
Reply 54
Yes MPharm is the course that will allow you to become a pharmacist. To get into pharmacy course, you would need to get 75% overall in the foundation year as well as 75% in certain modules. This only applies if you're currently doing or have already done a science A level. If you haven't done a science A level, then you would only need 70%.

For more information visit this: http://www.uea.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.172059!10-11%20SwFY%20Handbook%20FINAL.pdf (The entry requirements needed from the foundation year and specific modules to get into a course starts at page 16)

That's great thanks for the help, just wondered though if getting the 70% in the two Chem modules... got AA at GCSE but done nothing else, the worst thing would be taking on the foundation course but not making it on the pharmacy degree so trying to be precautious... Is it harder than AS / A2? Just trying to get a feel cheers
Original post by GGecko
That's great thanks for the help, just wondered though if getting the 70% in the two Chem modules... got AA at GCSE but done nothing else, the worst thing would be taking on the foundation course but not making it on the pharmacy degree so trying to be precautious... Is it harder than AS / A2? Just trying to get a feel cheers

I don't know. I'll be starting the foundation year this year as well.

Also, If you don't make it into pharmacy at UEA, you could use the results you get to apply to pharmcy courses at other universities.
Reply 56
I don't know. I'll be starting the foundation year this year as well.

Also, If you don't make it into pharmacy at UEA, you could use the results you get to apply to pharmcy courses at other universities.

Aah thats reassuring... Does the course go into clearing by any chance?

ahahaa your signature picture is hillarious !!
Original post by GGecko
Aah thats reassuring... Does the course go into clearing by any chance?

There is a chance but quie a low one. There are much more people applying this year to try and beat the fees increase.

Apply through UCAS Extra. I did and got accepted

Original post by James A
ahahaa your signature picture is hillarious !!

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59

What other unis would take you with the Year foundation course as an entry route?

- Applied to UEA (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending