The Student Room Group

MSc Economics UCL, RHUL, Mannheim, Frankfurt

Scroll to see replies

Btw UCL's Bsc econ is the most mathsy one in the UK so I wouldn't expect the level of maths in the Msc to be significantly different from anything in Germany.
Reply 21
Original post by Frankfurt
Sorry to hear that. When did they let you know? I heard about Economic Policy ages ago and still not heard a thing about Economics. :confused:

No news is good news.... In fact, I got the rejection in a very short time...a bout 3 weeks after my appliction.... I think it is because my backgroud.

Good luck!
Hey everyone,

I've received an offer for the MSc Economic Policy at UCL and also for the MSc Economics at Royal Holloway. I am also applying to the universities of Mannheim and Frankfurt in Germany. The courses are all fairly equal and all taught in English but the Germans ones are 2 year degrees (so they conform with Bologna rules) and considerably cheaper than UCL's £13,500.
My dream job would be to work for a central bank in Frankfurt (either the German one or the ECB if possible).

Would you say its worth paying a fortune for a UCL course in order to stand a better chance of getting into central banking? I also haven't got any idea of the international reputation of German unis.

These are the options:

UCL MSc Economic Policy, £13,500, 1 yr (still waiting on decision for MSc Economics)
RHUL MSc Economics, £3,500, 1 yr
Mannheim, MSc Economics, ~£1,000 p.a., 2 yr
Frankfurt, MSc International Economics and Economic Policy, ~£400 p.a., 2 yr

Any advice would be great!! Cheers.

£2000 for a Masters?
**** UCL and Oxford I'm packing my bags.
Reply 23
Original post by Silver Arrow
£2000 for a Masters?
**** UCL and Oxford I'm packing my bags.

The value for money really is impressive. :biggrin:
Seen as UCL are only offering me a place on the Economic Policy course, I'll definitely be heading there.
The value for money really is impressive. :biggrin:
Seen as UCL are only offering me a place on the Economic Policy course, I'll definitely be heading there.

Is that for German students only though? I'm from the UK and i speak a little German so it's definetly something i'd be interested in, in time.
Reply 25
With the beginning of the next semester there won't be any tuition fees at all in Mannheim. Yes, you get your masters for free. I'm pretty sure that applies for international students as well, but don't quote me on that.
Reply 26
Original post by Silver Arrow
Is that for German students only though? I'm from the UK and i speak a little German so it's definetly something i'd be interested in, in time.

The fees are the same for all students.

Original post by iradex
With the beginning of the next semester there won't be any tuition fees at all in Mannheim. Yes, you get your masters for free. I'm pretty sure that applies for international students as well, but don't quote me on that.

I didn't know about this, when was this decided? Obviously, different states have different rules.
You get it virtually for free in e.g. Frankfurt (Hesse) where all you pay is around 200 euros per semester which entitles you to free bus/train travel in the area. As far I was aware, you still have to pay 500 in Mannheim though (which lies in Baden-Württemberg) and of course the train ticket is again included.
Reply 27
The fees are the same for all students.

I didn't know about this, when was this decided? Obviously, different states have different rules.
You get it virtually for free in e.g. Frankfurt (Hesse) where all you pay is around 200 euros per semester which entitles you to free bus/train travel in the area. As far I was aware, you still have to pay 500 in Mannheim though (which lies in Baden-Württemberg) and of course the train ticket is again included.

Since the green party won this year's Baden-Württemberg election and started a coalition with SPD, they decided to get rid of all tuition fees. It's just not popular in Germany. You may have to pay a small amount (like 150€/year) for administration fees, but that's about it.
Reply 28
Original post by iradex
Since the green party won this year's Baden-Württemberg election and started a coalition with SPD, they decided to get rid of all tuition fees. It's just not popular in Germany. You may have to pay a small amount (like 150€/year) for administration fees, but that's about it.

Ah, I see. It doesn't seem like it will take effect until the second semester in early 2012 though.
Reply 29
Any news on the pending MSc Economics decision from UCL?
Reply 30
Original post by anp
Any news on the pending MSc Economics decision from UCL?

It was a resounding NO for me :biggrin: That info as given to me over a month ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending