The Student Room Group

OCR B Salters - F335 Exam - 15 June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by limetang
Mine was about 56 Pages, and I don't think I've worked so hard or worried so much in my life. I was so relieved that I'd done well in it though, as well it would have added more stress to this exam otherwise.

Same, my Analysis alone was something stupid like 30 pages. Doing this will prepare us for lab write ups and projects at uni though. Yeah same, the coursework is where you can get easy (But deserved) marks! :smile:
Reply 901
Original post by Paolat
iknow right !! :frown: my project lasted like 2 months and all together my report was like 20,000 words (because i did enzyme reaction so i had to test every factor that affects the rate of reaction) it felt like i was in Uni coz the teachers weren't allowed to help us looool :frown:

Too true, it was boring on for so long that it got tiresome!! Ahh I did the hydrogen peroxide one, inorganic and organic catalytic decomposition. Goood times! I actually found the project a good time for getting to know class mates even better, spending like 18 hours with them.. :smile:
Reply 902
Original post by arianna.k
I plan on doing English literature and like a complete moron took chemistry into A level. This is completely going to stop me going to my firm...it's so depressing :frown:

I plan on doing Business and feel the same. I could have picked easy subjects as long as general studies wasn't included and got into my firm no sweat. Now I know that I wont get in, it's so frustrating.
Reply 903
Original post by MattyC93
Too true, it was boring on for so long that it got tiresome!! Ahh I did the hydrogen peroxide one, inorganic and organic catalytic decomposition. Goood times! I actually found the project a good time for getting to know class mates even better, spending like 18 hours with them.. :smile:

I did that one! :] What mark did you end up getting?
I had real trouble trying to get the concentration of the hydrogen peroxide... Everyone was stumped :'D got there in the end though :tongue:
Reply 904
Original post by SarahTM
I did that one! :] What mark did you end up getting?
I had real trouble trying to get the concentration of the hydrogen peroxide... Everyone was stumped :'D got there in the end though :tongue:

It's the best one! :biggrin: There was my friends with their burettes and titrating, I'm just chilling with the Buchner flasks :cool: Might of broken one though. Oops! :P
I got 80/90 in the end, was well happy with that, how'd you do? :smile:
Ahhh well we have this little "recipe" book for making up different concentrations of hydrogen peroxide in terms of volume, like 10 vol etc :smile:
Reply 905
It's the best one! :biggrin: There was my friends with their burettes and titrating, I'm just chilling with the Buchner flasks :cool: Might of broken one though. Oops! :P
I got 80/90 in the end, was well happy with that, how'd you do? :smile:
Ahhh well we have this little "recipe" book for making up different concentrations of hydrogen peroxide in terms of volume, like 10 vol etc :smile:

Haha! :P
Ours was given to us at '20vols' and you had to titrate it against known potassium permanganate that you made yourself :angry:
I sat and just read off the inverted burette :'D
It all looked very professional, wearing a lab coat, goggles and stood watching with a clipboard :'D
Well done you! :tongue:
I only got 74... It's an A though so it's okay :tongue:
What catalysts did you use? :tongue:
Reply 906
Original post by SarahTM
Haha! :P
Ours was given to us at '20vols' and you had to titrate it against known potassium permanganate that you made yourself :angry:
I sat and just read off the inverted burette :'D
It all looked very professional, wearing a lab coat, goggles and stood watching with a clipboard :'D
Well done you! :tongue:
I only got 74... It's an A though so it's okay :tongue:
What catalysts did you use? :tongue:

Ahhh I see, well our technicians made something like 10 vol up but we had to make some up ourselves :smile:
Yeah that's what we thought! We was all there looking like pro's :P
Thanks :smile: That's good though, getting an A is something to be proud of :
Errrrm I think for inorganic I used Manganese Dioxide and Lead oxide, and for organic just a catalase enzyme using yeast suspension. How about you? :smile:
Reply 907
Ahhh I see, well our technicians made something like 10 vol up but we had to make some up ourselves :smile:
Yeah that's what we thought! We was all there looking like pro's :P
Thanks :smile: That's good though, getting an A is something to be proud of :
Errrrm I think for inorganic I used Manganese Dioxide and Lead oxide, and for organic just a catalase enzyme using yeast suspension. How about you? :smile:

People walk in the room and treat you with respect... Because you're a chemist ;]
We ran out of HP towards the end so I bottled some up and kept it in the corner with me :'D whoops :tongue:
I used Lead (II) oxide, Lead (IV) oxide and Manganese (IV) oxide... The first time I used the manganese I didn't realise how... Rapid... A catalyst it was :'D
So, just put 1g into 25cm3 of hydrogen peroxide...
It shot out and I dropped it :frown: then had to clean up the mess :'D haha :'D
I didn't have time to do the yeast one... I spent over 27 hours in there :'D
Reply 908
I ended up producing ridiculous amounts of Bromine gas which started a bit of a coughing fit at one point in my experiment. I couldn't get the smell away either, it took about a week to go away. Of course, this was never mentioned in the write up :P
Reply 909
Original post by SarahTM
People walk in the room and treat you with respect... Because you're a chemist ;]
We ran out of HP towards the end so I bottled some up and kept it in the corner with me :'D whoops :tongue:
I used Lead (II) oxide, Lead (IV) oxide and Manganese (IV) oxide... The first time I used the manganese I didn't realise how... Rapid... A catalyst it was :'D
So, just put 1g into 25cm3 of hydrogen peroxide...
It shot out and I dropped it :frown: then had to clean up the mess :'D haha :'D
I didn't have time to do the yeast one... I spent over 27 hours in there :'D

I know right, chemists are awesome.. :cool:
HP thief!! :P We had loaaads of HP!
Ahhh I only used Lead (IV) and Manganese (IV), I dunno why but the Lead one was really fast I think D:
Lmaooo that sounds like a lot of fun.. :P You must of been using more conc HP that me because that didn't happen with me :O
Wow! That's a lot of time :L Doing the yeast one is awesome because the room smells like alcohol when you're aerating it... :biggrin:
Reply 910
I know right, chemists are awesome.. :cool:
HP thief!! :P We had loaaads of HP!
Ahhh I only used Lead (IV) and Manganese (IV), I dunno why but the Lead one was really fast I think D:
Lmaooo that sounds like a lot of fun.. :P You must of been using more conc HP that me because that didn't happen with me :O
Wow! That's a lot of time :L Doing the yeast one is awesome because the room smells like alcohol when you're aerating it... :biggrin:

Hahaha :'D that's brilliant :'D
I wasn't drunk on fumes during my chemistry investigation ;]
Agreed, Lead was quite fast as well... The manganese went on my friends coat as well... Not much... But I was just like 'please don't notice!' :redface: I don't think she did... :'D
Did you get any hydrogen peroxide on your hands? :redface:
I did on the first day and when my hands were bright white, it freaked me out a bit because I thought it would never go away :'D
Reply 911
Original post by Jamesrb
I ended up producing ridiculous amounts of Bromine gas which started a bit of a coughing fit at one point in my experiment. I couldn't get the smell away either, it took about a week to go away. Of course, this was never mentioned in the write up :P

Hahaha! :'D
A lad in our class nearly killed everyone by accidentally making chlorine gas :'D
Needless to say, he got about 40/90 :']
Reply 912
Original post by SarahTM
Hahaha :'D that's brilliant :'D
I wasn't drunk on fumes during my chemistry investigation ;]
Agreed, Lead was quite fast as well... The manganese went on my friends coat as well... Not much... But I was just like 'please don't notice!' :redface: I don't think she did... :'D
Did you get any hydrogen peroxide on your hands? :redface:
I did on the first day and when my hands were bright white, it freaked me out a bit because I thought it would never go away :'D

Yeah maybe just a little tipsy from the yeast fumes :wink:
Haha! Hope she didn't notice! :P Just hope she doesn't get some HP on her in some weird coincidence and it starts fizzing :P
Errrrm I can't recall getting any on me no, sounds sore though.. :P
What/where have you applied for then? :biggrin:
Reply 913
Yeah maybe just a little tipsy from the yeast fumes :wink:
Haha! Hope she didn't notice! :P Just hope she doesn't get some HP on her in some weird coincidence and it starts fizzing :P
Errrrm I can't recall getting any on me no, sounds sore though.. :P
What/where have you applied for then? :biggrin:

Haha :'D did you wake up with a hangover? ;]
it didn't hurt... Just looked really odd :']
It was gone by the next day :'D
Yeah, if she comes in one day and her skins fallen off or something :L
I applied for Medicine... But got rejected because I got a C in Bio last year :'D and my ukcat wasn't great :'] but ive got a place for Biomed at Manchester and Liverpool so... :]
What about you? :]
Reply 914
Did you come out with noticeably whiter teeth? :biggrin: (Hydrogen Peroxide is used in teeth whitening)
Reply 915
Original post by Jamesrb
Did you come out with noticeably whiter teeth? :biggrin: (Hydrogen Peroxide is used in teeth whitening)

Haha :'D
No, just White hands :frown:
I only found that out on the last day... Could have had a black Market teeth whitening thing going on xD
Reply 916
Original post by ManPowa
Question 2

Oxidation and reduction (4 marks) Not sure!!!

Equation: sulfur tetrafluoride plus oxygen to form sulfur hexafluoride

Electron configuration: 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p4

Dot and cross for SF6: 6 groups of electrons around the central sulfur atom.. one electron from sulfur and one from fluorine. 3 lone pairs on each fluorine atom.

3D shape of Sf6 and a bond angle of 90 degrees.

Mass of lithium: 112 KG

Systematic name for Li2S: Lithium sulfide

Bonding:
Lithium - metallic
Sulfur trioxide - covalent
lithium fluoride : ionic

Explain why SF6 is a gas at room temperature while hexanedioic acid is a solid: Answer people/!!!

Entropy change of system (2)

Total entropy change (2)

Formula of potassium chlorate(VII) - I Put KCLO4 - the clorine has a an oxidation state of 7

Comment - If your total entropy was positive, then a fuse will not be required as the reaction is spontaneous. However, if your toral entropy change was negative, then a fuse will be required. I think on the mark scheme, this will be ECF as even if you get the wrong answer but you can still get the mark for the comment.

29 marks

Is there any chance you can do this for question 4 and 5? I need to find out how I've done to decide whether to retake f334... would be much appreciated
Reply 917
Original post by snoz64
Is there any chance you can do this for question 4 and 5? I need to find out how I've done to decide whether to retake f334... would be much appreciated

Yeah i will do now :smile:

can i ask yah, what would be the conjugate acid of H2Po4- ??
Explain why SF6 is a gas at room temperature while hexanedioic acid is a solid:

I put that sf6 only has instantaneous dipole- induced dipole and so room temperature has enough energy to break these bonds between the molecules hence having a low boiling point and and being gas at room temperature.
I then said that hexanedioic acid can forms hydrogen bonds and this would require more kinetice energy then room temperature to break bonds between the molecules to make it a gas hence being liquid at room temperature and having a higher boiling point.

this is what i put but i dont know whether it is right or not....... =///

hatted all the questions on sulfur.....
:frown:
Reply 919
Original post by ManPowa
Yeah i will do now :smile:

can i ask yah, what would be the conjugate acid of H2Po4- ??

H3PO4 is the conjugate acid. I put H2PO4H, so I hope I get the mark.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending