The Student Room Group

AQA ICT Info 3 Pre Release June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys!!..

I am also doing this exam on 23rd which is my last exam and I just started my revision....

It was gr8 that some of u guyzz uploaded sample exams analysis etc etc..

it would b even greater if anyone of u could upload the latest january 2011 paper with markscheme if possible as I havent been to college and think there is no point as my teacher dont even teach properly....
I have been given around 65 in my coursework but I know for sure that it is going down BIG!!! cause my teacher aint even marking it proper and I just cant trust her......
So, i am really scared abt this module as I need an A overall.

Thx..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 181
Original post by bshrestha3
Hi guys!!..

I am also doing this exam on 23rd which is my last exam and I just started my revision....

it would b even greater if anyone of u could upload the latest january 2011 paper with markscheme if possible as I havent been to college and think there is no point as my teacher dont even teach properly....
I have been given around 65 in my coursework but I
know for sure that it is going down BIG!!! cause my teacher aint even marking it proper and I just cant trust her......

Thx..

Question paper and mark scheme from january 2011 :smile:
Hi guys!!..

I have been given around 65 in my coursework but I
know for sure that it is going down BIG!!! cause my teacher aint even marking it proper and I just cant trust her......

Thx..

Don't worry, we are all in the same boat as you...it should really be called independent studies instead of ict -_-, i've barely done any revision which is quite sad...need to get going, but nothing is sinking in...why is life so complicated :sigh:
Original post by l0livia
Question paper and mark scheme from january 2011 :smile:

Thanks for the paper!! u r a life saver...

best of luk wid ur revision
Reply 184
Thanks for the paper!! u r a life saver...

best of luk wid ur revision

Its alright:smile: and thanks, you too
Reply 185
Hi, i can't access the exam analysis could someone maybe upload it again pleease? Also, can someone help me figure out what I need in the exam to get an overall A; I got 73 for unit 1, 65 for unit 2 and 74 UMS for coursework ? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Jasmin11
Hi, i can't access the exam analysis could someone maybe upload it again pleease? Also, can someone help me figure out what I need in the exam to get an overall A; I got 73 for unit 1, 65 for unit 2 and 74 UMS for coursework ? Thanks :smile:

I've worked out that it's out of 400/ums, because 1 unit and 2 is out of 100 ums, unit 3 is out of 120 ums and unit 4 is out of 80 ums....you need 320 ums to get an A overall, so far your on 212, for a B it is 280, so you need 77-81(out of 100 raw marks) to get an A overall, considering boundaries change every year
Reply 187
Original post by ,,,,
I've worked out that it's out of 400/ums, because 1 unit and 2 is out of 100 ums, unit 3 is out of 120 ums and unit 4 is out of 80 ums....you need 320 ums to get an A overall, so far your on 212, for a B it is 280, so you need 77-81(out of 100 raw marks) to get an A overall, considering boundaries change every year

Thanks so much :smile: I better get revising then :s-smilie:
Reply 188
Original post by ,,,,

How many raw marks would I need out of 120???? :s-smilie:
Reply 189
Okay, so i've done my own analysis on the material and added it to my teachers analysis and this is what we have found:
Source A
- What are the arguments for reducing energy?
- How can organisations alter their ICT strategy to make the environment better?
- What are the benefits to an organisation when reducing their carbon footprint?
- How can ICT change their policies to ensure they are being green?
- Advantages of using packages as opposed to bespoke?
- Benefits in enhancing legacy systems as opposed to new systems?

Source B
- Benefits in becoming green regarding cost?
- How can procedures changes benefit the organisation (probably going to ask about one of the listed)
- What are the social and technical issues of changing a policyy?
- hot spots and cold spots. significance.
- What would organisations have to do if the Law was changed?
- What are the benefits of external suppliers in making the organisation more green.

Obviously everything there is regarding an organisation. Those questions weren't styled to the ones that will come up in the exam, but by knowing it you should be able to answer questions in the exam. If everyone puts ideas together we should get through it :biggrin: i'm off to do some research now.
Original post by Jasmin11
How many raw marks would I need out of 120???? :s-smilie:

lol, the raw marks are for example, in info 1 and 2 they are both out of 80, info 4 is out of 70 and info 3 is out of 100, the marks that you posted are basically the ums marks, not the raw marks....so you will need need 77-81 raw marks which is equivalent to 101-111 ums marks out of 120, maybe this link will help, its quite good in showing how far you were from A's or B's plotted in a graph form, but since boundaries do change for this module and do not stay the same like info 4, it might go either way as the exam paper could be easy or difficult, hence altering the grade boundaries based on how everyone has done in the uk..:smile:

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php?id=04
(edited 12 years ago)
what are hot spots and cold spots ?

and what are examples and or explanation ?

HELP !!!
Reply 192
Original post by ,,,,
lol, the raw marks are for example, in info 1 and 2 they are both out of 80, info 4 is out of 70 and info 3 is out of 100, the marks that you posted are basically the ums marks, not the raw marks....so you will need need 77-81 raw marks which is equivalent to 101-111 ums marks out of 120, maybe this link will help, its quite good in showing how far you were from A's or B's plotted in a graph form, but since boundaries do change for this module and do not stay the same like info 4, it might go either way as the exam paper could be easy or difficult, hence altering the grade boundaries based on how everyone has done in the uk..:smile:

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php?id=04

Oh right, that makes more sense! Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 193
Okay, so I have got some points to support the questions on the analysis but i've only done source A so far:

What are the arguments for reducing energy?
- 2% of carbon emissions come from manufacture and use of ICT
- Being sustainable saves money. If an organisation is paying high energy costs, this affects the cost of the product going out to the customer as essentially customer sales will need to cover costs of the business.
- A third of employees in the UK don't switch of their PC's when they leave the office costing the UK £23 million in electricity.
- 60% of departments are using less than half their available server space.
How can organisations alter their ICT strategy to make the environment better?
- Encouraging customers to do online billing to reduce paper costs.
- Automated Power Managment - software solutions are available that will shut down PC's automatically. These can be implemented in organisations.
- Extending equipment Lifecycle - by extending the period of time you replace PC's you reduce the organisations carbon footpring. Repairing computers can have financial benefits.
- Equipment recycling and reusing. When equipment reaches the end of its life, organisations can donate their equipment, ensuring they are adhering to the data protection act.
- Reducing travel - through audio/videoconferencing. Saves money and carbon emissions.
- Encourage working at home. Intranets, mobile phones and laptops make this possible.
- Monitor departments carbon footprint and make the provide evidence of it.
What are the benefits to an organisation when reducing their carbon footprint?
- FINANCIAL - carbon footprint reduction commitment (CRC) sets out the risks to organisations if they fail to reduce carbon emissions. Financial implications can result in thousands, even millions of pounds who fail to meet standards.
- RECOGNITIONS - with the CRC publishing league tables, the media will have access to the performance information of all organisations. As such, the ones that are doing best will benefit from recognition of achievement and publicity.
- COST SAVINGS - as well as reducing carbon emissions, organisations will save money by reducing their energy bills.
REPUTATIONS - many companies want to know that the organisation they are dealing with are green. By reducing their carbon footprint, they encourage supporters of the green movement to make contracts with the company.
How can ICT change their policies to ensure they are being green?
- Toner and ink cartridges are to be refilled instead of thrown away.
- Computers and monitors need to be switched off when not in use.
- Remove screen savers - these can consume more energy than they save, set monitor to turn off.
- Set printers to greyscale. Restrict the amount of paper that can be printed.
- Email usage - use emails rather than paper where possible.
- Outsourcing - ensure subcontractors have an ICT policyy for the environment that ensures their energy costs and carbon emissions are low.
- Procurment policies - check suppliers green credentials. Take into account hardware packaging. Take into account power consumption. Energy star is a label found on many computers that ensures hardware is energy efficient.
New Hardware Considerations.
- Procurment policies - check suppliers green credentials. Take into account hardware packaging. Take into account power consumption. Energy star is a label found on many computers that ensures hardware is energy efficient.
- Extend Equipment lifecycle where possible.
- Printers - if you buy 10 laserjet printers, you can cannibalise parts from one printer rather than throwing it away.
- Ensure outsourced equipment has an environmentally friendly policy.
- RAM - before throwing away computers that are slow, increase the RAM as this increases the speed.

Any help on the ones I can't answer...? Getting on to source B in a bit. If there's any questions I need to add/any points that i need to add can you let me know? thanks :smile:
Advantages of using packages as opposed to bespoke?
HELP?
Benefits in enhancing legacy systems as opposed to new systems?
HELP?
Original post by Kaskade
Okay, so I have got some points to support the questions on the analysis but i've only done source A so far:

What are the arguments for reducing energy?
- 2% of carbon emissions come from manufacture and use of ICT
- Being sustainable saves money. If an organisation is paying high energy costs, this affects the cost of the product going out to the customer as essentially customer sales will need to cover costs of the business.
- A third of employees in the UK don't switch of their PC's when they leave the office costing the UK £23 million in electricity.
- 60% of departments are using less than half their available server space.
How can organisations alter their ICT strategy to make the environment better?
- Encouraging customers to do online billing to reduce paper costs.
- Automated Power Managment - software solutions are available that will shut down PC's automatically. These can be implemented in organisations.
- Extending equipment Lifecycle - by extending the period of time you replace PC's you reduce the organisations carbon footpring. Repairing computers can have financial benefits.
- Equipment recycling and reusing. When equipment reaches the end of its life, organisations can donate their equipment, ensuring they are adhering to the data protection act.
- Reducing travel - through audio/videoconferencing. Saves money and carbon emissions.
- Encourage working at home. Intranets, mobile phones and laptops make this possible.
- Monitor departments carbon footprint and make the provide evidence of it.
What are the benefits to an organisation when reducing their carbon footprint?
- FINANCIAL - carbon footprint reduction commitment (CRC) sets out the risks to organisations if they fail to reduce carbon emissions. Financial implications can result in thousands, even millions of pounds who fail to meet standards.
- RECOGNITIONS - with the CRC publishing league tables, the media will have access to the performance information of all organisations. As such, the ones that are doing best will benefit from recognition of achievement and publicity.
- COST SAVINGS - as well as reducing carbon emissions, organisations will save money by reducing their energy bills.
REPUTATIONS - many companies want to know that the organisation they are dealing with are green. By reducing their carbon footprint, they encourage supporters of the green movement to make contracts with the company.
How can ICT change their policies to ensure they are being green?
- Computers and monitors need to be switched off when not in use.
- Remove screen savers - these can consume more energy than they save, set monitor to turn off.
- Set printers to greyscale. Restrict the amount of paper that can be printed.
- Email usage - use emails rather than paper where possible.
- Outsourcing - ensure subcontractors have an ICT policyy for the environment that ensures their energy costs and carbon emissions are low.
New Hardware Considerations.
- Extend Equipment lifecycle where possible.
- Printers - if you buy 10 laserjet printers, you can cannibalise parts from one printer rather than throwing it away.
- Ensure outsourced equipment has an environmentally friendly policy.
- RAM - before throwing away computers that are slow, increase the RAM as this increases the speed.

Any help on the ones I can't answer...? Getting on to source B in a bit. If there's any questions I need to add/any points that i need to add can you let me know? thanks :smile:
Advantages of using packages as opposed to bespoke?
HELP?
Benefits in enhancing legacy systems as opposed to new systems?
HELP?

Dude, you're a life saver! Thanks man :biggrin:
what are hot spots and cold spots again ?
Reply 196
Original post by ,,,,
Dude, you're a life saver! Thanks man :biggrin:

No worries :smile: will put up source b in a bit when i've done it. Do you have any idea for the 2 i couldn't answer?
Reply 197
Some info on effects of teleworking/hot desking on workers AND businesses
The + means advantage, and - means disadvantage

Effects of teleworking on workers

- Lack of face time with work colleagues/isolation as won’t be working with co-workers so won’t be able to develop relationships that can help you network
-Time management: there a lot of distractions at home, it can be difficult to get work done if you have children/pets. It may be hard to get motivated without a traditional schedule/a boss looking over your shoulder
- less aware of changes in company, may become “out of sight/out of mind”
- there is a lack of separation between work and home, may be more potential for excessive working hours
+ savings in commuting costs/and other costs such as going out for lunch, using vendors and buying formal office attire
+ environmental effects, reducing pollution
+ less time taken off from work, employee may be well enough to work from home

Effects of teleworking on business
- accessibility to employees, may not be able to contact them
- may be reduced productivity, company can’t see their employees working, employees may be just watching TV
- security may be threatened, e.g. a company database may become corrupt and files/damaged if employee logs onto the internet from home and doesn’t have virus protection
+ less hours lost due to commuting traffic
+ savings in energy, office space requirements, maintenance and housekeeping

Effects of hot-desking on workers
- ICT ergonomics, the constant changing of seat positions/height, monitor angle and layout of office desk may cause induced stress to worker, each worker has different needs (some may be taller and may need higher chairs)
- Different workers leave coffee cups/stains at desks = poor working environment for other workers
- Shared office spaces with shared computers, computer interface devices, and telephones can act as harbors for viruses and bacteria that cause illnesses like cold and flu

Effects of hot-desking on business
+The benefits of this are that the heating, lighting, use of machines (shared pc’s, printers, phones, etc.), can be reduced
+ The space in the office will be reduced. All of these result in reduced energy usage, costs and carbon footprint
+ Advantages to hot desking include reduced office costs, networking opportunities, and access to reserved private office space away from home. Because the average employee is at his desk less than a third of the time, companies can benefit from using hot desking in their workforce because it makes use of desks that are not occupied.
- If a company moves to flexible working, then every team in the company must be trained and required to implement hotdesking properly, otherwise morale will suffer
Original post by Kaskade
No worries :smile: will put up source b in a bit when i've done it. Do you have any idea for the 2 i couldn't answer?

Tbh i have no clue, i don't know what am doing *sigh*, thanks olivia for the teleworking post :smile:
Reply 199
Original post by ,,,,
Tbh i have no clue, i don't know what am doing *sigh*, thanks olivia for the teleworking post :smile:

It's ok :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending