The Student Room Group

Psychology A Unit 3 AQA - 17th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by antipesto93
PREDICTIONS by a psychology teacher. She goes to examiner meeting but she DOES NOT have any inside info.

Breakdown of relationships
Effects of early experiences on adult relationships

genetic explanations of aggression
instututional aggression

nature of sleep
explanations of any 2 sleep disorders
life span changes in sleep

(Thats it for relationshis/ sleep / aggression only)

OBVIOUSLY dont ONLY revise those, just dont miss any of those things out thinking they wont come up :biggrin:

close :biggrin:
Reply 1501
What A01 did you write for the aggression question about neurones and hormones? I think I didn't put enough as all I could think of was that serotonin decreases aggression and testosterone decreases aggression. Do you know what else qualifies as A01??
AWWWWW YEAHH! Thank god AQA were feeling nice :biggrin:

Then again, the grade boundarys will probably shoot up now... Pfftt
Original post by Annagxd
What A01 did you write for the aggression question about neurones and hormones? I think I didn't put enough as all I could think of was that serotonin decreases aggression and testosterone decreases aggression. Do you know what else qualifies as A01??

That's all I wrote about for aggression. Low serotonin = high aggression. High testosterone = high aggression. Threw a few studies at them to back it up, obvious methodological/conclusion flaws. Then started to run out of time so mentioned how the approach is reductionist, ignores psychological factors such as SLT (explained bandura briefly), deindividuation (explained that briefly), doesn't help us to understand why aggression occurs in groups. but has been useful in some murder trials where the defendent has gotten off because sufficient hormonal evidence has shown they weren't in control of actions.

It was fairly basic though. I guess you could have talked about the hypothalamus/amygdala but I didn't have time. Always always bloody time.

I expect I'll get a pretty standard 4/5 for AO1 and 6/8 for AO2. Was my worst question.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1504
Original post by Annagxd
I think I didn't put enough as all I could think of was that serotonin decreases aggression and testosterone decreases aggression. Do you know what else qualifies as A01??

Did you mean increase? Because testosterone increases aggression.
Reply 1505
grade boundaries anyoneee?
Ack!

The only one that really threw me off was the Gender question.
Reply 1507
Original post by Dourish
Did you mean increase? Because testosterone increases aggression.

yes sorry :P
Messed up slightly. I thought it was a 2 hour exam so planned 40 mins per section. Luckily I was ahead of schedule.

I was really happy with the Aggression and Relationships questions.

For Gender, was I correct to write about Bem Sex Role Inventory for part 1 and Margaret Mead for part 2?
Original post by liamcol123
AWWWWW YEAHH! Thank god AQA were feeling nice :biggrin:

Then again, the grade boundarys will probably shoot up now... Pfftt

This is what I'm thinking although the Jan one wasn't as nice so they are mking it up to us! :smile:
Original post by Dourish
I think eating behaviours was my best section, quickly glanced at psych exp for Anorexia before the exam, so kinda chuffed about that - free 5 marks there. And evo preferences is just a good essay in general to memorise...talked about associative learning and non-falsifiability for IDA

What psych explanation did you put? I mentioned media images of women becoming slimmer that girls internalise this culturally defined standard of beauty which creates a discrepancy between their self and their ideal self. Leads to body dissatisifaction and obsession about dieting/eating. This can become a fully fledged eating disorder in some. This process is also reinforced by role models (SLT) and positive reinforcement of losing weight by family/friends (operant conditioning).

Enough to get the 5 marks?

Evolutionary was okay- talked about preference for meat, taste aversion, high calorie food- enough to get me the 4 AO1 marks, then said blah blah reductionist, because it ignores biological, cultural, social etc. and how our food preferances can be altered by them and certain evo explanations can also be answered by them.

It was pretty meh. I'd say I got around 4+7
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1511
Original post by doubletalkinjive
What psych explanation did you put? I mentioned media images of women becoming slimmer that girls internalise this culturally defined standard of beauty which creates a discrepancy between their self and their ideal self. Leads to body dissatisifaction and obsession about dieting/eating. This can become a fully fledged eating disorder in some. This process is also reinforced by role models (SLT) and positive reinforcement of losing weight by family/friends (operant conditioning).

Enough to get the 5 marks?

Media linked with Social Learning Theory, so pretty much what you put. If that doesn't get 5 marks who knows what does !
Original post by doubletalkinjive
That's all I wrote about for aggression. Low serotonin = high aggression. High testosterone = high aggression. Threw a few studies at them to back it up, obvious methodological/conclusion flaws. Then started to run out of time so mentioned how the approach is reductionist, ignores psychological factors such as SLT (explained bandura briefly), deindividuation (explained that briefly), doesn't help us to understand why aggression occurs in groups. but has been useful in some murder trials where the defendent has gotten off because sufficient hormonal evidence has shown they weren't in control of actions.

It was fairly basic though. I guess you could have talked about the hypothalamus/amygdala but I didn't have time. Always always bloody time.

I expect I'll get a pretty standard 4/5 for AO1 and 6/8 for AO2. Was my worst question.

I am thinking the same as you regarding marks! I talked about correlations of seretonin, testosterone and adrenaline. Talked about castrated animal embryos and about king et al (Milgram study using puppies - women high shocks - against test. theory) then evaluated them all. also talked about SLT and bandura, reductionism etc.

Original post by angelbones
Ack!

The only one that really threw me off was the Gender question.

I liked the gender one xD well the Cross cultural bit anyway! Wrote near enough a 25 mark answer for it even though is was 12 marks. Not so keen on the androgyny bit as only managed a half page!! D;
Reply 1513
I loved the questions! lol although my hand still hurts from writing, I went onto 11th page :O hurry up results! now it's only repeat of unit 4 :frown: needta start revisin :frown:

Original post by zimmobug
grade boundaries anyoneee?

They change depending on how well everyone did, so we dont know til august..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1514
for the 5 mark question on eating behaviour were we only supposed to write A01? As I put a few evaluation points! Would that loose me marks?
Thank you all you beautiful people. Everything we predicted on sleep/eating/aggression came up.
Original post by Stephhcharlene
I am thinking the same as you regarding marks! I talked about correlations of seretonin, testosterone and adrenaline. Talked about castrated animal embryos and about king et al (Milgram study using puppies - women high shocks - against test. theory) then evaluated them all. also talked about SLT and bandura, reductionism etc.

Yeah, basically, PSYA3 is pretty stupid. Its practically impossible to get full marks, or even close to it- hence the low grade boundaries time after time. Three topics, and the extent that you have to learn them and know about them, is just too much which limits your ability to write good strong answers come the exam. AQA imo need to rethink this unit and either become more lenient with criteria when marking, or just reduce the section to two units that you have more questions to answer about (i.e. a few short answers questions totally 10-15 marks, then an essay question totalling 20-25 marks- for the two units).

Annagxd- yeah it was just outline. It wouldn't lose you any marks though, just none to be gained by evaluating. Hope you didn't spend too long on it.
(edited 12 years ago)
How did everyone structure the 16 marker on disrupting bio rhythms? It was a bit daunting, as I have a lot of AO1 on that... I jus' kinda, said a few studies, evaluated them, said about implications and individual difference blah blah, but I just feel I didn't get enough AO2 marks :/
Reply 1518
Pleased! :biggrin: The majority of the questions I predicted came up! Didn't like the nature of sleep question though, I did about stages and pulled in Oswalds theory just to be safe but who knows if thats what they're looking for?. But I'm happy with the other questions :smile:
Reply 1519
Original post by Annagxd
for the 5 mark question on eating behaviour were we only supposed to write A01? As I put a few evaluation points! Would that loose me marks?

Ye that question was just Ao1, as the essay was split 4/16 so all the Ao2 was in that question. By putting evaluation you shouldn't lose or gain anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending