The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - June 2011 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chaz1992
Guys, what do you think 56/100 would be in UMS?

Judging by the paper and my sisters reaction after taking it, it seemed ridiculously hard.

about 105-110/150
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3001
through some harsh marking and giving myself only half marks( due to ecf) for each calculation question i got wrong, according to the mark scheme posted above - I have around 73 marks - would that be an A? If it is what UMS would I get?

P.S - I haven't got my hopes up LOL
Reply 3002
wow I got a negative rating just for that
Original post by Flux_Pav
wow I got a negative rating just for that

Honestly if you say anything about thinking you did well you'll get negged esp on this thread :rolleyes:
Original post by LilacTweet
I don't want to start a arguement here but I thought I should add this...
The curve was a line of best fit, so didn't go perfectly through all the points marked. Also there may be errors from taking the measurements, which is why although it may not be constant, It's close enough so +/- a few units isn't significant, so it was roughly 200 or something each time, so 1st order I reckon. I wouldn't say it had a 'variable' half life, It's just down to experiments not giving textbook results...

I think that the fact people even after the exam have conflicting views over the 'correct' answer shows a lot about how badly written/ridiculous this exam was. It's not black and white as to what is correct, so how OCR expect us to give a valid and accurate answers in such tight time I really don't know!

thats exactly what i say, what are they trying to test our ability to guess between possible answers...the book says explicitly 1st order is CONSTANT and second INCREASING the curve did both lol
Original post by sportycricketer
cant remember exactly but something like 4 x 10^-5

are you sure that wasnt your rate, i remember getting that number anywho, i just dnt rember exactly ..
Original post by CitizensUnited
On the bipy one, I'm fairly sure that the N atoms were on opposite sides of the ring to the C-C bond...

I got stuck on Q1 :colondollar:

lol it took me some thinking too tbh hehe
Reply 3007
Original post by Jtking3000
Honestly if you say anything about thinking you did well you'll get negged esp on this thread :rolleyes:

LOL that's a good point - so what is around 70/100 in UMS form? any clue?
Original post by Swagger_Buck
are you sure that wasnt your rate, i remember getting that number anywho, i just dnt rember exactly ..

my rate was either that or the power being -3 but not sure exactly
Original post by Flux_Pav
LOL that's a good point - so what is around 70/100 in UMS form? any clue?

its a sure A, probably even about 125-130 ums, the grade boundaries will be similar to jan 11 if not a little lower.
about 105-110/150

Reply 3011
possible answers for buffer question?
its a sure A, probably even about 125-130 ums, the grade boundaries will be similar to jan 11 if not a little lower.

Unfortunately there weren't many questions people got entirely wrong here. In the jan 2011 paper there were alot of questions which people had no idea about and got 100% wrong. here in the 7/9 mark questions most people will get around 4/5 method/ecf marks, and nailed the other simple questions so for that reason the grade boundaries will be higher.

I gave a similar physics paper last year with people complaining about it being harder than earlier papers. but G.B were raised
My guesses are pretty much +/- 3 marks right . This time I reckon it'll be
A - 73
B - 64
C - 56
D - 47
THE EXAM'S GONE! I DON'T SEE Any POINT IN THESE DISCUSSIONS EXCEPT it making us disappointed and disgusted of our performance. I end with, 'whatever food you cooked, will appear on the plate in August.'
Original post by prince_s9
Unfortunately there weren't many questions people got entirely wrong here. In the jan 2011 paper there were alot of questions which people had no idea about and got 100% wrong. here in the 7/9 mark questions most people will get around 4/5 method/ecf marks, and nailed the other simple questions so for that reason the grade boundaries will be higher.

I gave a similar physics paper last year with people complaining about it being harder than earlier papers. but G.B were raised
A - 73
B - 64
C - 56
D - 47

you really think it would be the highest ever? june 2010 was waaaaaay easier.
you really think it would be the highest ever? june 2010 was waaaaaay easier.

as much as I hate to say. I think yes. June 2010 was the firs time they sat this new spec and many people didn't know what type of questions might turn up. The old spec with same content is split into about 3 papers worth about 45/60 marks each and that included non spec stuff aswell. So combining all that content to one paper would have been difficult for first timers so GB were set 71 which is still low.

For the Jan 2011 one. Not many schools opted to do F325 in january so very less candidates sitting this exam. Grade boundaries are normally set using normal distribution of results. Having less results, and overall people found that paper quite hard. GB were set low . GB for that paper might have been higher if it was sat in June coz more results and numbers to fiddle around with i reckon it would have been 67 ish for A

This time there were many 2/3/4 mark questions which were pretty easy to answer and get full marks. Just couple of hard 7/9 mark questions which more people will get ecf/method for
Reply 3016
Hello! Before this exam I was really hoping for an A* in chem, but I actually think I'll be lucky to get a C on this paper :frown:

Just out of interest, what do people think the boundary for an A* will be in raw marks? I know that last June it was 81 I think...

Might as well be optimistic... HAH!
Original post by wilsea05
+ REP anyone? :wink:
i've had nothing at all to do tonight haha.

questions, marks, and the answers. (some of them are just my attempt at it, e.g. the decomposition of KOH, and i'm also not 100% about the marks for each question but i've made it =100 so 1 question maybe +/- 1mark than its actually worth)

http://www.mediafire.com/?g779xf52up4b79p

Prettyu sure the increase decrease entropy question was only one mark not 5 and the rate question was 9 marks not 7 :smile:
Original post by prince_s9

A - 73
B - 64
C - 56
D - 47

I agree, but not that high. Probably shifted down by 2-3ums each so an A is around 71.

Almost everyone, no matter how bad they thought they did, will get a cumload of ECF and method marks and these all add up! It'll push the mean attainment higher and so grade boundaries will stay as they are.
Reply 3019
The grade boundaries will surely be higher than January 2011, according to my teacher who is a former examiner (and set papers for AQA ten years ago). She predicted the January 2011 boundaries very accurately within a few days of the exam, so I have no reason to doubt she's right again this time. She thinks it will be around 76/100 for an A... the paper was actually very accessible and followed the specification exactly (despite the widespread discontent on here). The majority of people in my college found it a good paper and came out confident that they'd achieved a good mark. Only 3 people I've spoken to in college found it hard, and they had a grade D at AS so they didn't really have a chance to be fair...
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending