AQA English Literature A - Love Through the Ages June 2011 Exam :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theproseandpassion
WellI hope I will have managed at least a C

It looks highly likely. Now, chill!
Reply 361
WellI hope I will have managed at least a C

Well I reckon if you think you got a C in the exam today, you'll get an A overall no probs :smile: Good luck!
Quick question. In the paper I saw that it said something like, 'In both questions, candidates must use a minimum of one wider reading across all three genres' so i assumed that ment including all three genres in the first question, although my teacher said it was the same genre (so it would have been novel)

To be on the safe side I included one of each genre but the majority of it was novels for wider reading. If it's wrong i wont lose marks will I? Or will it just not be rewarded marks?
Original post by lauren.mariie
Quick question. In the paper I saw that it said something like, 'In both questions, candidates must use a minimum of one wider reading across all three genres' so i assumed that ment including all three genres in the first question, although my teacher said it was the same genre (so it would have been novel)

To be on the safe side I included one of each genre but the majority of it was novels for wider reading. If it's wrong i wont lose marks will I? Or will it just not be rewarded marks?

As the first question was prose, you should have referred to prose texts only for question 1. Then for question 2, drama and poetry texts, as well as novels if you want (although as you included novels in q. 1 it wouldn't be necessary).
I hope that's correct anyway, as I didn't include any novel references for q. 2.

Don't worry. AQA does 'positive marking' -- they don't deduct marks for things.
Ok - TheKitKat I was wondering if you could help me by working this out for me -

Last Years exam (which went badly) I got 93/120 UMS
Last year coursework 76/80
This years Coursework 78/80

What does this mean for my chances of getting an A overall?

Thank you so much x

I think that you need 73 ums to get an A- not sure what kind of grade that is..probably a C.
All you have to do is add up the ums you've got atm and subtract that number from 320 (which is an A).
Original post by Language_student
As the first question was prose, you should have referred to prose texts only for question 1. Then for question 2, drama and poetry texts, as well as novels if you want (although as you included novels in q. 1 it wouldn't be necessary).
I hope that's correct anyway, as I didn't include any novel references for q. 2.

Oh good! I was panicing that id lose marks, already think i've done bad enough!
Do you know if it matters for points towards wider reading if you majority was novels in 2nd question aswell? Though I did include a lot more drama and poetry ... Thanks btw :smile:

i only did 1 wider reading link (prose) for the first q and two (drama and poetry) for the second. they were meaty links, in that i went in to much detail, however, is this too little? my friend did about 8 links on the second question..! =\
Original post by carnationlilyrose

It looks highly likely. Now, chill!

i only did 1 wider reading link (prose) for the first q and two (drama and poetry) for the second. they were meaty links, in that i went in to much detail, however, is this too little? my friend did about 8 links on the second question..! =\
Original post by purplestarfish

You're supposed to have a 60%/70% focus on the extracts, so unless your friend's links were little, tenuous ones or she made also 8+ good solid points about the extracts too, that sounds way too much :s-smilie:
Original post by Rachel_Leah
You're supposed to have a 60%/70% focus on the extracts, so unless your friend's links were little, tenuous ones or she made also 8+ good solid points about the extracts too, that sounds way too much :s-smilie:

really? does the amount i've done sound okay?

didn't realise it was 70% focus on the extract! i didnt relate all my points to wider reading and after having spoken with her, i freaked out :frown::eek:
Reply 370
Aaaaargh I messed up this exam horrifically!

Firstly I overslept and my Head of Sixth Form had to pick me up from my house in his car -_-

Anyway in the end I was only ten minutes late, which they gave me in extra time at the end anyway
But I was pretty flustered and failed to finish (or even get halfway through) question 2....
I put a few bullet points to finish off the points I was planning on making later on... I know that only gets you like max 1 or 2 marks more though haha

Oh well, I only really need a D on this paper to average out as a B so hopefully I will at least get that!

really? does the amount i've done sound okay?

didn't realise it was 70% focus on the extract! i didnt relate all my points to wider reading and after having spoken with her, i freaked out :frown::eek:

Yep it's 70% comparison of the two items and 30% wider reading!
(edited 12 years ago)
RIPPED THE BOOK UP?? Our head of department would eat broken glass before damaging a book! They must have money to burn for new stock! No blank copies available for the exam? Unfortunate. Looks like we spoil our kids. Well, if you got an A without the book last year, full marks on coursework in both years, it looks to me like you can afford to have an off day. As for the actual maths, as I've just said, I'm useless at that - ask the Kitkat to do it - but seriously, I think you're worrying unnecessarily.

Im also someone who needs a bit of reassurance from a caring teacher after that awful exam :frown:
I think I may have got full marks on my coursework, my teacher strongly insinuated this as I suffer from panic attacks and he was trying to reassure me about this exam. Say I did get full marks in my cwk, would this definitely put me at an advantage over others, in you're experience does it make the world of a difference?
Original post by asdaprice*
Im also someone who needs a bit of reassurance from a caring teacher after that awful exam :frown:
I think I may have got full marks on my coursework, my teacher strongly insinuated this as I suffer from panic attacks and he was trying to reassure me about this exam. Say I did get full marks in my cwk, would this definitely put me at an advantage over others, in you're experience does it make the world of a difference?

I'm a bit unsure what you're asking, but I can't see how you could be in a better position than having full marks in your coursework. :smile: It will put you in a better position than other people who got the same marks as you in the exam and didn't get full marks in their coursework! If you are bright enough to have managed to get full marks on your coursework, all your literary skills are not going to desert you in the exam, no matter how bad it seems now. You will have made some sensible points. It's easy to get worked up and upset by overthinking after the event, but this is a skills based exam and even without knowing you, I can guarantee that you will have picked up some skills over the last 2 yars, even if it doesn't seem like it now. Read my earlier posts about not panicking, go and do something fun and remember everyone sat the same exam - the board didn't make one especially horrid just for you, so you're probably feeling just the same as hundreds if not thousands of kids across the country and you won't all have failed.
carnationlilyrose
x

I heard grades and scores are apparently available on the AQA website at 12.00am on Results Day. Do you know if it's accessible by students, or is just teachers? Do teachers actually use this feature? If it is only accessible by teachers, seems a bit odd for them to know and not be known by candidates. We're the ones who sat the exam...
Original post by Eggs and Ham
I heard grades and scores are apparently available on the AQA website at 12.00am on Results Day. Do you know if it's accessible by students, or is just teachers? Do teachers actually use this feature? If it is only accessible by teachers, seems a bit odd for them to know and not be known by candidates. We're the ones who sat the exam...

I'm not an exams officer, and they are the ones who have access to these things. I think they get the results the day before because there's a lot of admin and processing and printing out to be done to get them ready to issue to the candidates asap on results day morning. There is no conspiracy. We don't sit around in the staff room sniggering or anything.

As far as I am aware, the results are sent to the centre, not collected from the exam board website, but I have no experience of this.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 375
After doing the exam I thought it went really well... Until tonight when I thought about question two only to realise that after thinking I'd already written about a prose wrote about two dramas instead so I do not have all three genres in question two!! :frown:
Does anyone have any idea of how much I will be penalised for this?
Did anyone else reference Tess OTD in question 1, linking the similar scene in which Angel selected Tess consciously out of a few other women when they were stranded among the water (compared with Jude selecting whatserface out of the other women she was working with)?

Oh and btw, everyone struggled with Question 2.

We are complaining officially to the exam board, not about the difficulty of the question, but about the big clock in the examination room being ten seconds slow per. minute, making us think we had more time than we did (it completely threw off everyone's essay structure).

8 links sounds like far too many to me -- much better to have fewer links in detail than lots of links in little detail.

I'm just worried that I've failed the whole exam. I keep waking up at night worrying about it. :redface:
Hi, I did this exam paper and I annoyingly wrote about extract A being from the Elizabethan Period and how this compares to Wyatt in terms of the exploration of the heart being fundamental to this time. Only at the end of the exam when we were told to stop writing did I understand the date referred to was the Restoration and not the Elizabethan period. =( If I had only realised this I may have talked about the issue of cross-dressing and women on stage. Pffft, I thought it went well until until I realised this. How many marks do you think would normally be taken off for mistakes on historical context? >.<
Can I just put in a plea for you all to stop worrying? All of you are listing mistakes which are keeping you up at night and asking for reassurance. Firstly, it's unlikely that any of the mistakes you have listed will invalidate the entire exam paper. That's not how the mark schemes work - there aren't traps set for the unwary to fall into so that they are inevitably going to fail. You will be rewarded for the good things you DO write.

Secondly, no one can give you an accurate idea of what grade you're going to get, because no one's seen what you've written, and even if they did, as none of them are examiners, they don't have the experience to tell you anything much. I'm not an examiner for this subject, but I have taught A level Lit for 23 years and I can't tell you without seeing what you've put.

Thirdly, there's a very real danger of fueling collective hysteria which helps no one. The possible pool of wider reading is infinitely deep. There are some popular choices for wider reading amongst teachers which are recommended for the simple reason that we've got them in the stock room hanging over from previous syllabuses, but that doesn't make them any more valid than other texts. It's what you do with them that matters. Likewise, there are almost as many different links to be made as there are candidates. That's the beauty of Literature, as well as the reason why people of a more scientific turn of mind find it frustrating. So just because you didn't get a link that someone here has posted, it doesn't mean that you are wrong.

I completely understand that you are under enormous strain here. I see it first hand, working in a very high pressure school, and also having been a parent going through it from that point of view too. I understand the need to re-evaluate your experience - it's how human beings learn. However, I would suggest being kind to yourselves and stepping away from the overthinking. Leave TSR for a bit because it's only going to make you feel worse, if you are prone to fretting. You cannot live in a state of fever pitch all the way to results day and in any case, many of you will still have other exams. Things usually have a way of working out, which is hard to see when you are this close to it. If you've been conscientious over 2 years, it will pay off. Please don't make yourselves ill.

Good luck with the rest of the summer!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending