The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
I will probably be applying for Oxford, LSE, UCL, Durham and Bristol.

Messed up my AS Jan exams though which means I have to work extra hard now. The wait for results is killinggggg me
Reply 761
Original post by MAB26
I will probably be applying for Oxford, LSE, UCL, Durham and Bristol.

Messed up my AS Jan exams though which means I have to work extra hard now. The wait for results is killinggggg me

Wow, ambitious choices in terms of risk? The only sort of back up you have there is Durham and that is a pretty high back up by anyone's standards!
Reply 762
Original post by tateco
Wow, ambitious choices in terms of risk? The only sort of back up you have there is Durham and that is a pretty high back up by anyone's standards!

Hmmm true... I need to rethink that actually. Might go for southampton/surrey instead of bristol. Have to see the unis first of course!
Reply 763
Hoping to apply to Warwick / Nottingham for Economics and I'm taking Maths, Economics, Physics & Chemistry for AS. Our school told us we have to take all four AS subjects to A2, but I've heard that it doesn't really give you any sort of advantage
Original post by somaiyar
Hoping to apply to Warwick / Nottingham for Economics and I'm taking Maths, Economics, Physics & Chemistry for AS. Our school told us we have to take all four AS subjects to A2, but I've heard that it doesn't really give you any sort of advantage

Most universities will only require 3 subjects as they routinely give offers for 3. However some people take all 4 to A2 and cope fairly well. I'm surprised your school forces you to do all four, may I ask which school you go to?

Good luck on your application :smile:
Reply 765
I go to Watford Grammar, and apparantly most people are supposed to take 4 A2, but I might just take 4 A2's because I haven't taken Further Maths
Original post by somaiyar
I go to Watford Grammar, and apparantly most people are supposed to take 4 A2, but I might just take 4 A2's because I haven't taken Further Maths

Oh I see. Well, if you are confident that taking 4 won't affect the grades you ultimately come out with then by all means go ahead and take 4 :smile:

I also haven't taken further maths (which I deeply regret), so I plan to take AS further maths next year. Perhaps you could consider taking up further maths at AS level?
Reply 767
I'm not sure whether my school offers Further Maths AS next year, but if they do I will definately take it
Original post by tateco
They're three very competitive choices. You do have a slight edge because I assume you'd pay international fees (especially with LSE), but to reduce risks you should go for some slightly lower universities. For example Birmingham, York maybe?

Original post by Hemzo
Depends how you feel buddy, if you're feeling relatively confident then I would advise two other top universities. Otherwise I'd follow Tat's advice and go for two medium choice universities like Southampton/York/Durham. All ask for one grade less than LSE and Cambridge. I'm not too sure what St.Andrews are asking for though. All the best in your application mate :smile:

So there is a bit of an advantage being an international because of the fees?
Are there any other schools (beside LSE, Cambridge, and St. Andrews) that are 'known' for Economics?
Reply 769
Original post by rockinrobin337
Are there any other schools (beside LSE, Cambridge, and St. Andrews) that are 'known' for Economics?

There's a big advantage. Very unfair in my eyes but that's how it is, the success rate for international students is much higher and some universities even give lower offers to international students.

The best universities for economics in the UK are probably:

Cambridge, LSE, St. Andrews, Edinburgh, UCL, Warwick, Bristol, Bath, Nottingham, Durham.

That's just my opinion, but I'd say that those universities make up the top 10 for economics (Oxford isn't included because they don't offer economics), the list is in no particular order and the order will change dramatically depending on your preferences.
Reply 770
Original post by rockinrobin337

I'd have no idea about the internation fees, so I can't really help you there mate. Tat's basically listed all the others and Oxford don't offer full Economics, only Economics with Management.
Reply 771
Original post by tateco
There's a big advantage. Very unfair in my eyes but that's how it is, the success rate for international students is much higher and some universities even give lower offers to international students.

Cambridge, LSE, St. Andrews, Edinburgh, UCL, Warwick, Bristol, Bath, Nottingham, Durham.

That's just my opinion, but I'd say that those universities make up the top 10 for economics (Oxford isn't included because they don't offer economics), the list is in no particular order and the order will change dramatically depending on your preferences.

I feel such a daredevil applying to 5 out of the top 10. :colondollar:

I've polished up my personal statement - it's only a first draft and I'm already feeling pretty pleased with it.
Reply 772
Original post by Groat
I feel such a daredevil applying to 5 out of the top 10. :colondollar:

I've polished up my personal statement - it's only a first draft and I'm already feeling pretty pleased with it.

Durham looks okay but the course isn't mathematical enough for me. And it's a little far away.
Reply 773
Original post by tateco
Durham looks okay but the course isn't mathematical enough for me. And it's a little far away.

I'm still undecided over Durham. I think I'll near towards Nottingham, Bath or Exeter.
Reply 774
Original post by Groat
I'm still undecided over Durham. I think I'll near towards Nottingham, Bath or Exeter.

Looking like Cambridge (Catz), LSE/Warwick, UCL, Bath, Nottingham. Apparently Warwick is really dreary but then LSE is very unlikely. If all goes to plan I won't care what offers I get this year anyway!
Original post by tateco
Looking like Cambridge (Catz), LSE/Warwick, UCL, Bath, Nottingham. Apparently Warwick is really dreary but then LSE is very unlikely. If all goes to plan I won't care what offers I get this year anyway!

Have been meaning to ask: what gap year schemes are you thinking of applying to?
Reply 776
Original post by thegenius31416
Have been meaning to ask: what gap year schemes are you thinking of applying to?

PMed
Reply 777
Original post by tateco

Warwick, Bath, Nottingham and 2 others for me. Not to sure about the other 2, might end up choosing Bristol and probably Southampton for insurance.

No one else putting down an insurance uni? :tongue:
Reply 778
Original post by Hemzo
Warwick, Bath, Nottingham and 2 others for me. Not to sure about the other 2, might end up choosing Bristol and probably Southampton for insurance.

I don't want to sell myself short, and with the likelihood of a gap year scheme I don't feel it's worth having an insurance university.

Nice choices though. Just out of interest, if you got Bristol, Bath, and Nottingham but no other offers which would you firm? (They all seem about level for me)
Original post by Hemzo

My insurance choice is Exeter. I know they offer A*AA but virtually everyone, at my school, who applies there, gets an offer so it's more about an insurance in case I get no other offers than for my grades. My grades insurance would be Nottingham as they offer AABB (if that's still going for next year anyway).

Latest

Trending

Trending