The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - June 2011 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AliceEM
Hello! Before this exam I was really hoping for an A* in chem, but I actually think I'll be lucky to get a C on this paper :frown:

Just out of interest, what do people think the boundary for an A* will be in raw marks? I know that last June it was 81 I think...

Might as well be optimistic... HAH!

I think anything from 70-74 could be the A*. Let's hope 70!
why are people suggesting the grade boundaries so high?!
June 2010 and jan11 were waaaaaaaaaaay easier!!!!! They should be atleast similar to jan11 if not les!
The grade boundaries are set around how people perform so that a certain percentage will achieve A's, B's etc. Besides knowing it won't be more than 75 for an A but not less than 64 for an A I think it's hard to give it an exact number.
Reply 3023
Original post by MoTheMedic
The grade boundaries are set around how people perform so that a certain percentage will achieve A's, B's etc.

That's not true at all, just a common misconception. Comparing June 2010 and January 2011:

June 2010:

8.51% had an A*
31.76% had at least an A
56.98% had at least a B
75.63% had at least a C
etc.

January 2011:

0.99% had an A*
12.25% had at least an A
48.22% had at least a B
76.88% had at least a C
etc.

All figures available on the OCR website.
Original post by BA1
That's not true at all, just a common misconception. Comparing June 2010 and January 2011:

June 2010:

8.51% had an A*
31.76% had at least an A
56.98% had at least a B
75.63% had at least a C
etc.

January 2011:

0.99% had an A*
12.25% had at least an A
48.22% had at least a B
76.88% had at least a C
etc.

I'm ****ed lol
Original post by BA1

June 2010:

8.51% had an A*
31.76% had at least an A
56.98% had at least a B
75.63% had at least a C
etc.

January 2011:

0.99% had an A*
12.25% had at least an A
48.22% had at least a B
76.88% had at least a C
etc.

link? :smile:
Original post by BA1

January 2011:

0.99% had an A*
12.25% had at least an A
48.22% had at least a B
76.88% had at least a C
etc.

Faaaaaaaaaaaaark!
Reply 3027
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BackDoorEntry
will get a cumload of ECF and method marks and these all add up!

what a good unit of measurement

only 5 people got an A* in january 2011 for chemistry?
i was one of 5 people to get an A* in F324? or am i looking at this incorrectly? :s-smilie:
Reply 3030
To people who say the boundaries will be +70... Shut up. My teacher who was an examiner for OCR and knows the Chief Examiner personally said this was a very hard paper. Some people didn't even attempt the big mark questions such as the PH and the last one on titration. Also questions such as the polymer one with the C-C bonds and entropy would have caught alot of people out... and even the Pka ones as the majority in my school had no idea what that was.

It'll be tough to predict but no way near 70.... around same as January to be honest, slightly lower maybe as January was a breeze compared to this one.
Reply 3031
Original post by wilsea05
only 5 people got an A* in january 2011 for chemistry?
i was one of 5 people to get an A* in F324? or am i looking at this incorrectly? :s-smilie:

Between F324 and F325 in January, five A* grades were awarded. Out of 506 papers sat.

It's not a lot because many schools don't enter candidates for A2 exams in January, so it's mainly resits. Look at June 2010:

14931 A2 exams were sat! Such a big difference.
Reply 3032
Original post by Swagger_Buck
thats exactly what i say, what are they trying to test our ability to guess between possible answers...the book says explicitly 1st order is CONSTANT and second INCREASING the curve did both lol

I thought it was 2nd order but then using exam knowledge I knew they would never ask 2nd order as you would have to differentiate the line of best fit to get a line in the form y=mx+c to see if it was 2nd order.
As the vast majority of A2 Chemistry candidates wouldn't know that/isn't mentioned... It had to be first order as it was an Experiment.

If I just said that the order was 1 by saying that half life is constant how many marks do I loose, as I didn't quote any figures FFS.
Original post by BA1
Between F324 and F325 in January, five A* grades were awarded. Out of 506 papers sat.

It's not a lot because many schools don't enter candidates for A2 exams in January, so it's mainly resits. Look at June 2010:

14931 A2 exams were sat! Such a big difference.

but 3 people in my school achieved an A* in F324? that can't be right? :s-smilie: lol
Reply 3034
Original post by wilsea05
but 3 people in my school achieved an A* in F324? that can't be right? :s-smilie: lol

It does seem a bit odd, maybe the OCR results table has missed out lots of people? Haha. For some other subjects (e.g. Accounting) then apparently only 27 people did the exam. Hmmm.
Original post by BA1
It does seem a bit odd, maybe the OCR results table has missed out lots of people? Haha. For some other subjects (e.g. Accounting) then apparently only 27 people did the exam. Hmmm.

I suppose it includes candidates who have sat F324 and F325, so those of us who did F324 in January aren't counted because it's not the full A-level there, we haven't done F325. So that would just be resit candidates who are sitting F324 and/or F325 perhaps?
Reply 3036
Ahh I think I understand it now. It seems to be the results that have been cashed in. So approx. 500 people resat A2 modules in January and THEN cashed in their new result without waiting to resit more exams in summer. But many more candidates did the same A2 exams for the first time. And the results for June 2010 show that approx. 14000 students cashed in their A2 results to get the A-level award.
Original post by BA1

June 2010:

8.51% had an A*
31.76% had at least an A
56.98% had at least a B
75.63% had at least a C
etc.

January 2011:

0.99% had an A*
12.25% had at least an A
48.22% had at least a B
76.88% had at least a C
etc.

I stand corrected :smile:
Reply 3038
Original post by alexllew
The answer for the KOH dissociation should be as follows:

4OH- -> O2 + 2H2O + 4e-

2H+ +2e- -> H2

The H+ coming from the dissociation of water.

how many marks was this worth i did not see it :frown:. what question was it worth + how many marks was the upside down born cycle worth :frown:
Reply 3039
Can't believe this thread is still active :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending