The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
ooo thanks. So I was reading Ecclesiastes 3 and found this: He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. (verse 11)

It's the He has set eternity in the human heart bit that I'm pondering over. I can't work out what it means...

I would take a stab that it shows as humans philosophising over the afterlife and it's a mechanism that God uses to bring us to him.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Oh also, prayer request, my dad does some mentoring with children from disadvantage backgrounds, broken homes etc, and the kid he's mentoring at the minute took an overdose (luckily didn't die, and is now being monitored etc.) and while my dad obviously can't go into detail with background of child etc, it's obvious prayers are needed because he really must be feeling low to attempt to kill himself. So please can we pray that he realises his worth, my dad can show him God's love, and that his situation improves!

That's sad, have prayed for him.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
My two best friends (one Presbyterian, one Anglican) can't keep in touch with me (long story). It causes me a lot of pain :cry2: I miss them very much but I know they pray for me, and I try to offer up my own suffering to relieve the Presbyterian friend of hers :smile: We will never all be together again and we probably won't speak or see each other again properly very soon... but I'm slowly trying to accept this :smile:

On a separate note, does anyone ever go to church, hear the readings and feel like that reading is directly relevant to something they've been thinking about? Like God speaking to them through the Scripture that day, that time, that place? Or am I the only one? :o:

*squishes*

Sometimes a verse seems particularly relevant to me or someone I know's situation.
Original post by Calumcalum
evangelism and evangelicalism... Hope this clears things up a bit :-) )

:yep: ta.

Although I'm definitely pro-life when it comes to abortion, I can't really see as much good theological reason to be anti-euthanasia (nor anti-legalisation of euthanasia), so found it quite awkward hearing that announcement... any help??

Please define what you mean. Active or passive? Voluntary or involuntary? Physician just giving the drugs to the patient or doing the deed?
Original post by randdom
I am strongly opposed to assisted suicide (I actually have just made a post about it in the thread in society). However I reached that decision before becoming a christian and my reasoning is probably not as based in scripture as it should be.

One quote that I read spoke about no man being able to stay alive when it was his time to die and similarly no person should choose to die before it is their time. I think that it is Ecclesiastes 8:8 but I could be wrong with the reference.

On a lighter note. Have you set a date/started dress shopping yet? I've been helping my friend with hers and it's a flipping nightmare!
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. I should have read this verse a lot sooner than I did.
Original post by rainbowbex

On a lighter note. Have you set a date/started dress shopping yet? I've been helping my friend with hers and it's a flipping nightmare!

We are getting married on the 22nd of October :smile:

Dress, reception venue, service plan, rings and photographer are sorted.

Next plan we have to sen the invitations (we already have them) and get a florist :smile:
So what is everyone else's view on biblical inspiration?
Reply 4505
I think the confusion about evangelicalism is partly to do with the fact that lots of people say "evangelical doctrine" when they mean "protestant doctrine" - sola fides and sola scriptura. Also, as someone pointed out, there's a difference between this doctrine and evangelical behaviour - I love evangelical worship, but I'm much more liberal and catholic (as opposed to protestant, rather than Roman) in my doctrinal beliefs.

Have had an oddly good day today. I had a minor breakdown last night, and I ended up bursting into tears in my tutorial this morning, but my tutor's a priest and we ended up having a really good chat about everything. Ended up going and talking to my other tutor too, and everything is now more or less sorted! On top of that, someone came out of nowhere and offered to deal with a big project that I've been finding it really difficult to handle recently (and is partly responsible for my current academic issues in the first place), so ... everything's going to be alright. God's really got me out of a mess, and I feel so much better. : ) Feeling so loved right now.

Would still appreciate prayers for my parents, though, if anyone has the time. They're both unwell in different respects and I'm really worried about them.
Waiting till marriage myself :biggrin:

:five:

Not that I have a choice, but still. :yes:

Original post by Facticity
Ah right! :colondollar: Upon you guys telling me, I do recall being explained a similar thing about the meaning of Allah just meaning 'God' and such. I'm having a slow day today :tongue:

Slipping, Facticity. :nope:

Original post by Alex-jc123
I believe there is still pain in child birth with an epidural. God's pleasure and satisfaction must come before our own.

wtf man

Original post by Tzarchasm
Gap year. :colondollar:

I feel highly uncomfortable with some of these TV pastors, especially the ones who earn millions.

I've seen some very dodgy things in Ghana, and even here. :sadnod:

Original post by ringham33170
I have to say that I have never heard this sermon before

Me neither lol

Hey guys, I'm looking for some new music.

Dream Theater

I plan to bring a similar sound to my youth band; I'm tired of the acoustic stuff

Original post by dreiviergrenadier
If you want some Christian grime, you might want to try Victizzle

lol

Well, it depends what you mean. I listen to all kinds of music from soft rock/pop to hardcore, I don't see a genre of music as a viable divide for what should be allowed to be considered 'Christian'. I mean it varies like I said, here I'll show you, it will get progressively heavier (All Christian Bands):

Make sure you have headphones in!

Spoiler

EDIT: Fixed the order.

I only listened to the last one lol :tongue: x

Reminds me of... See You Next Tuesday

Original post by sparklysparkles
Re prosperity gospel chat, I found CultWatch a really interesting website, made by some Christians, and has a bit on the prosperity gospel. And also, a good video on the subject (Piper again, actually):

Lovely.

Original post by marille
I've got quite into Gungor recently. They call themselves "liturgical post-rock", and though I can see the influence, I think they're a bit too lyrical for that - definitely hear some Muse influence though. : )

Post rock indeed.

Spoiler

Original post by JB Johnstone

Sorry, what's that :colondollar:
Reply 4508

Well, do you mean whether the bible was divinely inspired, or something else?
Original post by De Lubac

Same question here. Why must people be so ambiguous :eek3:
Original post by De Lubac

Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry, I'm curious, what else could it mean? I guess it could refer to people being inspired by the bible to do things.

I believe the Bible was written by a load of men who had heard stories or were inspired by what they saw and were moved by the Holy Spirit to write it down for others. That's not to say they understood or responded to the Holy Spirit correctly, imho, though :nah:

Original post by marille
Have had an oddly good day today. I had a minor breakdown last night, and I ended up bursting into tears in my tutorial this morning, but my tutor's a priest and we ended up having a really good chat about everything. Ended up going and talking to my other tutor too, and everything is now more or less sorted! On top of that, someone came out of nowhere and offered to deal with a big project that I've been finding it really difficult to handle recently (and is partly responsible for my current academic issues in the first place), so ... everything's going to be alright. God's really got me out of a mess, and I feel so much better. : ) Feeling so loved right now.

Would still appreciate prayers for my parents, though, if anyone has the time. They're both unwell in different respects and I'm really worried about them.

Sorry to hear that your parents are ill - have prayed - and that you had a minor breakdown :jumphug: I'm glad you were able to confide in your tutors and that things are looking up. Some of the priest tutors sounded awesome from what I heard. Do you know Fr Nick King? I love him :love:
Original post by + polarity -
:five:

Not that I have a choice, but still. :yes:

Slipping, Facticity. :nope:

wtf man

I've seen some very dodgy things in Ghana, and even here. :sadnod:

Me neither lol

Dream Theater

I plan to bring a similar sound to my youth band; I'm tired of the acoustic stuff

lol

I only listened to the last one lol :tongue: x

Reminds me of... See You Next Tuesday

Lovely.

Post rock indeed.

Spoiler

Polarity :smile: hii
Unlucky mate. Well you never know, I thought I did badly on my Chemistry last year but it came out well, sometimes post exam stress can get to you :console:

Don't let this (potential) slip up stop your revision of everything else, I understand it can be hard when you worry about the exam you just did, but the best thing to do is to do an exam and forget about it until the last exam otherwise as you said, it'l just affect your concentration :smile:

What other subjects do you have left?

It was a resit. :frown: I still have chemistry, biology and psychology remaining. Thanks.

Original post by Lantana

I know how you feel, esp. as I managed to take a rather windy route to medicine, but if you want to do it, there are ways. Just keep going:wink:

Thank you. :smile:

Don't mind me asking but what route did you take?

Original post by randdom
I know it is really hard when things don't go the way that you hoped that they would. At times like this it can be really hard to focus on god and to remember that he is there and that he has a plan. It is a plan that may not seem clear to you right now and may not for a long time but there will be a reason.

If you are struggling to focus maybe go and speak to someone you trust who you could meet up and pray with. Just talking it through and giving control to god can be really hard but really helpful when you think that things aren't going the way that you would like.

I've had some time to re-focus and I'm starting to get back on track but it may be too late. I hope it isn't.

Check out some of these videos:

Fr. Nofr

Polarity :smile: hii

Hi.
Reply 4515
Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry, I'm curious, what else could it mean? I guess it could refer to people being inspired by the bible to do things.

Well, I believe that the authors Bible was divinely inspired, as such, the Bible was written completely by God, and completely by man (both as the true authors).
Reply 4516
I believe the Bible was written by a load of men who had heard stories or were inspired by what they saw and were moved by the Holy Spirit to write it down for others. That's not to say they understood or responded to the Holy Spirit correctly, imho, though :nah:

Sorry to hear that your parents are ill - have prayed - and that you had a minor breakdown :jumphug: I'm glad you were able to confide in your tutors and that things are looking up. Some of the priest tutors sounded awesome from what I heard. Do you know Fr Nick King? I love him :love:

This is pretty much how I see it too. My views towards the Bible, and various other things, are fairly complicated really.
Original post by Tzarchasm

Thank you. :smile:

Don't mind me asking but what route did you take?

I've had some time to re-focus and I'm starting to get back on track but it may be too late. I hope it isn't.

Failed my A-levels, took a gap year because I had to, did a degree in Biomed and managed to scrape a 2:1 and am at the end of my 1st year of GEM. This is not the way I planned, but I'm here :biggrin: So you see why I don't think you should lose hope.
Reply 4518

I believe the Bible was written by good men such as Moses and the Apostles who were inspired to do so by God.

It is both human and divine, much like the Bible's central protagonist :smile:
Prayer said :smile:

On a separate note, does anyone ever go to church, hear the readings and feel like that reading is directly relevant to something they've been thinking about? Like God speaking to them through the Scripture that day, that time, that place? Or am I the only one? :o:

Thanks!

Not just Church. I get bible verses emailed to me each day (it's the only way I can guarantee to read some of the bible) and some days I'm just like "woah, that's exactly what I needed to hear!" I was talking to mum and she gets the same! God is cool like that!

Original post by Lantana
That's sad, have prayed for him.

Thank you :hugs:

Latest

Trending

Trending