The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Limitless
I need help. I needed places I can volunteer to show that I can work with children. I will be doing this during the last weeks of summer so need places which will be open at that time.

Is it possible for you to do some in July, because then you could try any local primary schools to help out during lessons or after school clubs. In terms of summer holiday try playschemes, don't know how useful it would be, or day nurseries?

Children's hospice would be really good, but they would take forever to get back to you after training/CRBs so probably a waste of time tbh.
Original post by oHellno
Lol is that even possible? :nooo:

impossible is nothing

but it is not practical...the questions are impossibly hard at times...and require a lot of calculations...

=/ my weakest section is abstract reasoning....

when i say weak, it is in the broad sense, as i do not really see strengths in the other sections...
Original post by im no superman
day care centres, nursery?

i need places i can work with the very elderly, suffering from dementia and such

i also need gp, and work experience...

=)i i didn't leave it late, i actually applied 9 months ago, was rejected...phoned every month as well...got my mum to phone

Why did you get your mum to phone? :confused:
Original post by oHellno
Is it possible for you to do some in July, because then you could try any local primary schools to help out during lessons or after school clubs. In terms of summer holiday try playschemes, don't know how useful it would be, or day nurseries?

Children's hospice would be really good, but they would take forever to get back to you after training/CRBs so probably a waste of time tbh.

i'm not the kind of person to work in a nursing home, but i will push myself totally out of my comfort zone here, because i need the experience, and so i can demonstrate it too
day care centres, nursery?

i need places i can work with the very elderly, suffering from dementia and such

i also need gp, and work experience...

=)i i didn't leave it late, i actually applied 9 months ago, was rejected...phoned every month as well...got my mum to phone

I left mine really late but then again that is just me and how I do things I'm a last minute kind of guy. I wrote a couple of letters to GPs a week ago and just waiting for replies at the moment.
Original post by oHellno
Lol is that even possible? :nooo:

Of course it is but only for super awesome cool people.
i'm not the kind of person to work in a nursing home, but i will push myself totally out of my comfort zone here, because i need the experience, and so i can demonstrate it too

Why not? I actually really enjoyed volunteering at the nursing home? If you're actually able to do things it can be really good.
Original post by oHellno
Why did you get your mum to phone? :confused:

when after ages waiting to apply, they didn't really do much

plus, they wouldn't take me seriously. they don't care tbh, they rejected me and my friend, no interview, the application was a random procedure as well...no ps, nothing , i bet they didn't even read it.

how can w/e and voluntary be so critical in an application YET it is hard , and impossible at times, to even aquire?
Original post by Limitless

Of course it is but only for super awesome cool people.

Unfortunately I don't think I'm one of them, I suppose I could try though. :emo:
Original post by oHellno

No I'm busy doing work experience at a hospital during July.
Original post by oHellno
Unfortunately I don't think I'm one of them, I suppose I could try though. :emo:

Are you not the "chosen one"?
Original post by oHellno
Why not? I actually really enjoyed volunteering at the nursing home? If you're actually able to do things it can be really good.

i was told by a manager , she was nice, but she told me that it'd be a step too much for me, i should not do it, i should go somewhere like a day care

this was on the phone when i applied.

what did you do there , in the nursing home, and how did you change your communication to adapt to the residents?

i don't want to be asked to do things i am uncomfortable doing...

i am not the kind to dance, ect, i just want to talk, and help out at times, here and there, ask about them, ect

not going to dance or play poker as i've never done that in my life nor will i ever do.
i was told by a manager , she was nice, but she told me that it'd be a step too much for me, i should not do it, i should go somewhere like a day care
this was on the phone when i applied.
what did you do there , in the nursing home, and how did you change your communication to adapt to the residents?
i don't want to be asked to do things i am uncomfortable doing...
i am not the kind to dance, ect, i just want to talk, and help out at times, here and there, ask about them, ect
not going to dance or play poker as i've never done that in my life nor will i ever do.

Oh okay, well try a day centre then, you will be doing similar things in terms of interaction and it's still just as useful.

I mainly did what the staff did, so served tea and snacks, played a few games (mainly just playing yourself tbh, as many are very unresponsive), started some group activities, like a song or something and helped during feeding.
With the residents, they talk a lot, they have lots of stories, so you sort of listen and comment a bit. In terms of starting a conversation, idk really, asking something as simple as 'you okay?' goes a looong way lol.
You don't have to dance but honestly even if you do, you wont feel stupid or anything, once you get there you'll know what I mean.
Does everyone sit the same ukcat paper regardless of which day we take it on? :s-smilie:
Are the BMAT and UKCAT continous exams?

Like say if you manage to finish the whole of the UKCAT all 4 sections before the time limit, can you go back to say section 1 questions?

Similarly with the BMAT, if you finish the exam in less than 2 hours, can you go back over past questions? Or is it like that they take away your answer sheet / prevent you from going back to previous answers once each section's time limit is up?
Original post by oHellno
Oh okay, well try a day centre then, you will be doing similar things in terms of interaction and it's still just as useful.

I mainly did what the staff did, so served tea and snacks, played a few games (mainly just playing yourself tbh, as many are very unresponsive), started some group activities, like a song or something and helped during feeding.
With the residents, they talk a lot, they have lots of stories, so you sort of listen and comment a bit. In terms of starting a conversation, idk really, asking something as simple as 'you okay?' goes a looong way lol.
You don't have to dance but honestly even if you do, you wont feel stupid or anything, once you get there you'll know what I mean.

cheers

nope, even if i am insulted, shouted or screamed at, i will never let anyone tell me that i can't do something.

my will to do it has gone stronger. i need this experience, whether it will be the worst, because i know i will reflect well from it.

i am not applying to medical school without relevant w/e and voluntary. and if given the life, i am definitley applying to medical school

so will do it by any lawful means neccesary. i will claw with my finger nails for that inch.

because i know, that's going to make the difference between winning and losing
Original post by xgoldenx
Does everyone sit the same ukcat paper regardless of which day we take it on? :s-smilie:

No it's a bit like the driving theory test where they have a bank of questions that are randomly chosen by the computer.
cheers

nope, even if i am insulted, shouted or screamed at, i will never let anyone tell me that i can't do something.

my will to do it has gone stronger. i need this experience, whether it will be the worst, because i know i will reflect well from it.

i am not applying to medical school without relevant w/e and voluntary. and if given the life, i am definitley applying to medical school

so will do it by any lawful means neccesary. i will claw with my finger nails for that inch.

because i know, that's going to make the difference between winning and losing

The main point about any voluntary work/ work experience is what you learn from it. The quality is more important than the quantity. My sister got 2 offers Nottingham and Cambridge) last year with very little work experience. All she did was a few months helping out for a couple of hours a week at riding for the disabled, once a week for an hour (during lunchtime) helping with PE at a special school for 6 months and a week shadowing a GP.
During the summer holidays there are lots of schemes for disabled people which need volunteers.
Original post by Got the tshirt
No it's a bit like the driving theory test where they have a bank of questions that are randomly chosen by the computer.

how is that fair?

if everyone gets different questions...what if someone gets easier ones?
Reply 4458
how is that fair?

if everyone gets different questions...what if someone gets easier ones?

Because they are randomly generated, so it's likely people will have an equal number of harder/easier one's. There are a lot of questions so it should even out though I'm sure they're all of similar hardness anyway. If you're good at the section you're more likely to get a high mark what ever the questions.
Original post by Got the tshirt
The main point about any voluntary work/ work experience is what you learn from it. The quality is more important than the quantity. My sister got 2 offers Nottingham and Cambridge) last year with very little work experience. All she did was a few months helping out for a couple of hours a week at riding for the disabled, once a week for an hour (during lunchtime) helping with PE at a special school for 6 months and a week shadowing a GP.
During the summer holidays there are lots of schemes for disabled people which need volunteers.

Like what?