The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4460
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Medical schools don't see your other choices. So say if you applied to Leeds, the admissions tutors would see:

1. ......
2. ......
3. Leeds
4. .......

With the universities you applied to listed in alphabetical order (I think)- so I don't think they'll be able to tell what your first/second and so on choice is. They'll be able to see whether or not you applied to a fifth non-medical choice (by seeing 5. ...... on that list, or by not seeing it) but that's it. :smile:

thanks! i've found out since that with art you can apply using route b which gives more time to sort out your portfolio and stuff and with that one the universities can see your other choices, so that explains why i was confused. :smile:
Original post by Limitless
Like what?

Things like this: http://www.jumbulance.org.uk/index.html

There are hundreds of these organisations. Quite a few of them are Christian organisations and operate more as pilgrimages. It involves a week of volunteering.
Original post by ChessMister

There are hundreds of these organisations. Quite a few of them are Christian organisations and operate more as pilgrimages. It involves a week of volunteering.

Thanks will have a look at it.
Original post by liviaaa
Because they are randomly generated, so it's likely people will have an equal number of harder/easier one's. There are a lot of questions so it should even out though I'm sure they're all of similar hardness anyway. If you're good at the section you're more likely to get a high mark what ever the questions.

In essence, what you have said may be true for the majority of cases,but even is a single person gets a difficult exam, it is unfair, and the whole process has failed them.

Remember, time is key in this exam. Therfore, easier questions take less time, and give you better marks. As a direct consequence, it picks some of your choices of university for you.

They should produce one exam, like the BMAT, to be sat at one given time, otherwise it's a very subjective, and not so reliable exam.
Like what?

My sister signed up with some volunteer group (something like Volunteer GB) and it routinely sent her details of schemes requiring volunteers. She was going to help with children with cerebal palsy but the dates weren't too good for her and as she got the horse riding for the disabled about the same time she didn't actually do it.
I can ask her when she gets back from Cambridge next week if she remembers the details (probably not knowing her). She's too busy celebrating the end of exams to be bothered with us back home at the moment.
Original post by Got the tshirt
My sister signed up with some volunteer group (something like Volunteer GB) and it routinely sent her details of schemes requiring volunteers. She was going to help with children with cerebal palsy but the dates weren't too good for her and as she got the horse riding for the disabled about the same time she didn't actually do it.
I can ask her when she gets back from Cambridge next week if she remembers the details (probably not knowing her). She's too busy celebrating the end of exams to be bothered with us back home at the moment.

Thanks will have a look at it.

Original post by lolo-x
thanks! i've found out since that with art you can apply using route b which gives more time to sort out your portfolio and stuff and with that one the universities can see your other choices, so that explains why i was confused. :smile:

Original post by liviaaa
Because they are randomly generated, so it's likely people will have an equal number of harder/easier one's. There are a lot of questions so it should even out though I'm sure they're all of similar hardness anyway. If you're good at the section you're more likely to get a high mark what ever the questions.

Original post by EternalDoom
Are the BMAT and UKCAT continous exams?

Like say if you manage to finish the whole of the UKCAT all 4 sections before the time limit, can you go back to say section 1 questions?

Similarly with the BMAT, if you finish the exam in less than 2 hours, can you go back over past questions? Or is it like that they take away your answer sheet / prevent you from going back to previous answers once each section's time limit is up?

Original post by xgoldenx
Does everyone sit the same ukcat paper regardless of which day we take it on? :s-smilie:

Original post by oHellno
Oh okay, well try a day centre then, you will be doing similar things in terms of interaction and it's still just as useful.

I mainly did what the staff did, so served tea and snacks, played a few games (mainly just playing yourself tbh, as many are very unresponsive), started some group activities, like a song or something and helped during feeding.
With the residents, they talk a lot, they have lots of stories, so you sort of listen and comment a bit. In terms of starting a conversation, idk really, asking something as simple as 'you okay?' goes a looong way lol.
You don't have to dance but honestly even if you do, you wont feel stupid or anything, once you get there you'll know what I mean.

Can anyone mark this BMAT essay type question for me please? i know it's not perfect or good, but i want to improve, the title is :

Stop moaning! The pain is there to help you!

What does the above statement imply? Give examples that illustrate how pain can be benificial and others that illustrate the opposite. How can you explain the differences in the function of pain?

Pain, as the statement implies, is present in order to provide benefit to someone whatever that help may be. Clearly, it generalises that all types of pain are of good effect and that in all cases, it works to help.

The assumption made by the statement ignores the fact that pain is not always beneficial, and we know today that pain can exist in many kinds and forms. For one, pain can be beneficial though it can always equally be unbeneficial. Pain also exists in different forms, ranging from emotional pain, and physical pain, which are two distinct types of pain which may be linked, but are separate.

As a result, pain can have advantageous, disadvantageous, or both depending on what view you look at it. For example, evolution states that an organism has a natural mechanism by which they can survive and pass on their genes; namely, avoiding harmful stimuli. As a result, touching a fire will obviously cause pain. However, this pain will hurt considerably so it would be simple to state the pain is a disadvantage and is no help whatsoever. However, without that pain to alert, it logically follows that skin and tissue will be burnt. Thus, in order to protect an organism pain can act as a useful mechanism though it can be seen in two different lights.

However, there are times where pain produces no real benefit. For example, if someone faces strong emotional pain due to mental health issues, Alzheimer’s which is known to cause great emotional stress, and other such scenarios. Are there any benefits to which we can assume that for the greater good, there is a temporary ‘pain’ to enable a longer term benefit like I demonstrated in the last example. Clearly, in these cases a patient with Alzheimer’s will not have nay benefit and may only suffer emotional and mental stress and pain. In this case, the title is disproved on the account that no benefit is extracted from the pain.

As a result of the different kinds of pain, and the effects they produce, we can not deem that all pain is useful. However, what we can assume is that some pain can be of benefit to the survival of an organism, whilst other pain can be fairly degrading and of no use. Though, like the evolutionary pain, it initially causes distress, but we see there is a benefit which is long term in the interest in the survival of the organism.
Original post by im no superman
Can anyone mark this BMAT essay type question for me please? i know it's not perfect or good, but i want to improve, the title is :

Stop moaning! The pain is there to help you!

What does the above statement imply? Give examples that illustrate how pain can be benificial and others that illustrate the opposite. How can you explain the differences in the function of pain?
Pain, as the statement implies, is present solely to provide benefit to someone whatever that help may be. Clearly The statement generalises that all types of pain are of good effect and that in all cases, it works to help. (This last line has awkward wording, and is a repetition of the first; put "generalise" in the first line and scrap the rest)

The assumption made by the statement ignores the fact that pain is not always beneficial, and we know today that pain can exist in many kinds and forms. For one, pain can be beneficial though it can always equally be unbeneficial (unbeneficial is arguably not a word; there is a repetition problem, in the first line of this paragraph you imply that pain can also be disadvantageous, so there is no need to repeat that in explicit terms). Pain also exists in different forms, ranging from emotional pain, and to physical pain, which are two distinct types of pain (repetition of "different forms") which may be linked, but are separate. (This is a generalised statement on pain, rather than a statement addressed to the question; relate it to the question)

As a result (as a result of what? what you mention next is not a consequence of the existence of emotional and physical pain) , pain can have advantageous, disadvantageous, or both depending on what view you look at it (Pretty much what you said in the previous paragraphs). For example (an example of the previous statement would be a situation in which pain is both advantageous and disadvantageous, like you have outlined below, so save this for your example), evolution states that from evolution we can infer that an organism has a natural mechanism by which they can survive and to pass on their genes; namely, avoiding sensitivity to harmful stimuli. As a result For example, touching a fire with your hand (be specific) will obviously cause pain. However (use however when you're showing the other side of the argument, like you have done below; putting it right after an example does not much sense)This pain will hurt considerably so it would be simple to state the pain is a disadvantage and is no help whatsoever. However, without that pain to alert, it logically follows that skin and tissue will be burnt, incapacitating the person and causing further needless pain (ie. ask yourself why being burnt is bad) Thus, in order to protect an organism pain can act as a useful mechanism though it can be seen in two different lights.

However (Join this to your previous paragraph, eg. "This second light in which pain can be viewed") There are times where (when?) pain produces no real benefit. For example, if someone faces strong emotional pain due to mental health issues, Alzheimer’s which is known to cause great emotional stress, and other such scenarios (I know what you mean, but it doesn't make grammatical sense). Are there any benefits to which we can assume that for the greater good, there is a temporary ‘pain’ to enable a longer term benefit like I demonstrated in the last example (or, "Are there any benefits to the pain caused by Alzheimer's"; I struggled making sense of your last sentence). Clearly, in these cases a patient with Alzheimer’s will not have nay benefit and may only suffer emotional and mental stress and pain. In this case, the title statement is disproved on the account that no benefit is extracted from the pain.

As a result of the different kinds of pain, and the effects they produce, we can not deem that all pain is useful. However, what we can assume is that some pain can be of benefit to the survival of an organism, whilst other pain can be fairly degrading (sidetracking to a different topic; not relevant) of no use. Though, like the beneficial (or pain beneficial to survival, if you want to include the evolutionary aspect) evolutionary pain, it initially causes distress, but we see there is a benefit which is long term in the interest in the survival of the organism. (Doesn't make grammatical sense; you seem to have been talking from one angle at the beginning and another at the end; revise)

I haven't marked it, because that would take far longer, but altered it as best I can. Your writing style is fairly good, but your points seem confused and, when broken down, amount to little. You would benefit from planning and writing reasons down before you start the essay (do you have time to do this in the BMAT?).

I have left some bits black which should have been highlighted in order to avoid altering the structure of a paragraph. I think you need to develop your ideas more (ask, why is this, have I clarified this enough, do I understand what I mean by this) and ask yourself whether the expressions used, the"howevers and for examples", make sense in the situation.

Sorry if I've missed any colours out, I really cba to proof read it :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
I haven't marked it, because that would take far longer, but altered it as best I can. Your writing style is fairly good, but your points seem confused and, when broken down, amount to little. You would benefit from planning and writing reasons down before you start the essay (do you have time to do this in the BMAT?).

I have left some bits black which should have been highlighted in order to avoid altering the structure of a paragraph. I think you need to develop your ideas more (ask, why is this, have I clarified this enough, do I understand what I mean by this) and ask yourself whether the expressions used, the"howevers and for examples", make sense in the situation.

Sorry if I've missed any colours out, I really cba to proof read it :tongue:

+REP

:smile: the best person to me is one who helps me learn by constructive criticism, thank you!

the BMAT essay is 30 minutes,i spent 5 minutes planning here is my plan:

PLAN: INTRO= STATEMENT ABOUT the indication that pain is something wrong, and that it helps keep you from harm, alert you away from harm, and overall allow you to take steps to return to safer position.
MAIN ARGUMENT : ARGUING FOR AND AGAINST, BENIFICIAL PAINS = IF YOU’RE ILL OR SICK, ALERTS YOU, IF YOU ARE TOUCHING SOMETHING DANGEROUS, “EVOLUTIONARTY”. UNBENIFICIAL, MENTAL PAIN, EMOTIONAL PAIN, PHYSICAL ILNESS?
CONCLUSION TO WRAP IT ALL UP.

(i did the essay in around 20 ish minutes , but i had a computer)
Reply 4468
Original post by im no superman
+REP

:smile: the best person to me is one who helps me learn by constructive criticism, thank you!

the BMAT essay is 30 minutes,i spent 5 minutes planning here is my plan:

PLAN: INTRO= STATEMENT ABOUT the indication that pain is something wrong, and that it helps keep you from harm, alert you away from harm, and overall allow you to take steps to return to safer position.
MAIN ARGUMENT : ARGUING FOR AND AGAINST, BENIFICIAL PAINS = IF YOU’RE ILL OR SICK, ALERTS YOU, IF YOU ARE TOUCHING SOMETHING DANGEROUS, “EVOLUTIONARTY”. UNBENIFICIAL, MENTAL PAIN, EMOTIONAL PAIN, PHYSICAL ILNESS?
CONCLUSION TO WRAP IT ALL UP.

(i did the essay in around 20 ish minutes , but i had a computer)

To be honest, I wouldn't place too much emphasis on discussing emotional pain for this question as the statement seems to refer to a physical pain specifically.
Could someone answer my last post?

"Are the BMAT and UKCAT continous exams?

Like say if you manage to finish the whole of the UKCAT all 4 sections before the time limit, can you go back to say section 1 questions?

Similarly with the BMAT, if you finish the exam in less than 2 hours, can you go back over past questions? Or is it like that they take away your answer sheet / prevent you from going back to previous answers once each section's time limit is up?"
Reply 4470
Helllooooo guys :smile:
Just need advice on the UKCAT ! i just started revising for it from the 600 UKCAT book & that book seems next to impossible... any tip about how to improve & gain more marks in the UKCAT?? Thankss :smile: x
Reply 4471
Like what?

i'm going to help with a playscheme for children with autism for a week in the summer, you could see if where you live has anything like that. we were asked if we were interested at college
Original post by lolo-x
i'm going to help with a playscheme for children with autism for a week in the summer, you could see if where you live has anything like that. we were asked if we were interested at college

I could always ask my teachers.
Reply 4473
Original post by aqua05
Helllooooo guys :smile:
Just need advice on the UKCAT ! i just started revising for it from the 600 UKCAT book & that book seems next to impossible... any tip about how to improve & gain more marks in the UKCAT?? Thankss :smile: x

i'm doing that book right now! just read all of the advice they give you, the beginning of the book and every single section has loads of tips, work through it all.

i went to manchester uni open day today and the man said that the best thing to do for the ukcat isn't books but is to do the timed practice exam on the ukcat website because the main area where most people fall down is timing. but in my opinion you should do most of the book first cuz that gets your brain into the right way of thinkng :smile:
Reply 4474
I could always ask my teachers.

yeah, if your tutor's any good you could maybe ask them.

i was having trouble getting this special needs school to ring me back and my tutor rang for me and has managed to set me up with volunteering there for one afternoon a week, they have powers :smile: haha
hi guys im new here and abit stuck as to how I could have made a question page thing lol. I wanted to know which Unis dont give alot of weiht to GCSe's for medicine?
Thank you!
Reply 4476
Original post by lolo-x
i'm doing that book right now! just read all of the advice they give you, the beginning of the book and every single section has loads of tips, work through it all.

i went to manchester uni open day today and the man said that the best thing to do for the ukcat isn't books but is to do the timed practice exam on the ukcat website because the main area where most people fall down is timing. but in my opinion you should do most of the book first cuz that gets your brain into the right way of thinkng :smile:

Where are you planning to apply ? I'm really not sure about where to apply as my GCSEs are not all that.. got 3A*s 5As & 1B..where do you think i should apply ?
Reply 4477
Original post by Ronnylover
hi guys im new here and abit stuck as to how I could have made a question page thing lol. I wanted to know which Unis dont give alot of weiht to GCSe's for medicine?
Thank you!

Birmingham loooks into GCSES - i think you need like 8A*s
What did you get ?
Original post by aqua05
Birmingham loooks into GCSES - i think you need like 8A*s
What did you get ?

I got:
GCSE English Language: Grade B
GCSE English Literature: Grade A
GCSE Maths: Grade B
GCSE Science: Grade B
GCSE Information Technology: Grade B
GCSE Urdu: Grade A*
GCSE Arabic: Grade A
theyre not as great as they oculd have been due to my g.pops passing away...
Reply 4479
Original post by Ronnylover
I got:
GCSE English Language: Grade B
GCSE English Literature: Grade A
GCSE Maths: Grade B
GCSE Science: Grade B
GCSE Information Technology: Grade B
GCSE Urdu: Grade A*
GCSE Arabic: Grade A
theyre not as great as they oculd have been due to my g.pops passing away...

Ohh sorry to hear about that.. well you can look around which uni look less into GCSEs & then apply.. but i'm sure if you meet their requirements then you should get in as well..

Latest

Trending

Trending