The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1940
Any predictions as to what synoptic stuff may come up in this exam???
Original post by sam_xo
Any predictions as to what synoptic stuff may come up in this exam???

i'm pretty sure there will be something on the immune system... cos of the stuff on viruses in the article and the unit 4 paper in jan didn't have very much on it if i remember correctly... someone uploaded a pile of possible article questions earlier, there's lots of synoptics in there (clinical trials, protein synthesis, cardiovascular diseases...such fun)
Reply 1942
Original post by memomemootoo
i'm pretty sure there will be something on the immune system... cos of the stuff on viruses in the article and the unit 4 paper in jan didn't have very much on it if i remember correctly... someone uploaded a pile of possible article questions earlier, there's lots of synoptics in there (clinical trials, protein synthesis, cardiovascular diseases...such fun)

Ah I don't mind unit 4 stuff as the revision is still quite fresh in my head lol but I really don't want AS stuff to come up as I cannot remember any of it and don't have time to go over it! :frown:
What's a promoter sequence in the context of DNA?
Reply 1944
sup ppl? :biggrin:
hope everyone does well in the exam :biggrin:
I need questions and asnwers for the atricle any one any advice?thnsz\
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
What's a promoter sequence in the context of DNA?

It's a sequence of bases on DNA (before the coding region) that regulates transcription as RNA polymerase and transcription factors bind to the promoter region before transcription begins. :smile:
hey is there any jan.2010 pastper?for 6bio5?
Original post by sparkle*92
It's a sequence of bases on DNA (before the coding region) that regulates transcription as RNA polymerase and transcription factors bind to the promoter region before transcription begins. :smile:

So the promoter region doesn't code for a gene? So would you say it's an intron or..?
Original post by sam_xo
Ah I don't mind unit 4 stuff as the revision is still quite fresh in my head lol but I really don't want AS stuff to come up as I cannot remember any of it and don't have time to go over it! :frown:

i think we should be fine without the AS stuff... unless they decide to ask us something obscure about sweetcorn again... or the effect of evolution on the circulatory system of autotrophic dung beetles :rolleyes:
Reply 1950
i think we should be fine without the AS stuff... unless they decide to ask us something obscure about sweetcorn again... or the effect of evolution on the circulatory system of autotrophic dung beetles :rolleyes:

LOL. Ah I'm really scared about this exam :frown: I hate the article stuff and I always get tricked by the way they word questions! I'll always think 'Crap, when did we cover this' when all they've done is worded it differently. LOL Well, I hope it's a nice paper! :confused::confused::confused:
Reply 1951
does anyone know whether the article questions in the real exam will have details of where in the article each question is related to? (e.g. page 4, paragraph 5 or whatever..)
thanks))

They have in the past papers eg. June 10 so they should do :smile:
Reply 1952
My teachers tell me there is a reasonable chance some AS stuff will come up and considering what was in BIO4 and the BIO4 retake i don't doubt it.
Can anyone outline the kind of things from AS that might come up? bit of a stretch i know, but someone might know...

Also, says here in the spec; Compare methods of co-ordination in plants and animals i.e. nervous&hormonal against the role of IAA in phototropism. How would you go about answering that?

LASTLY oh man, what social and moral issues are there for the use of the Human Genome Project in new drug development? :s-smilie: i can't stand the ethics side of these exams.

thank you!
Original post by Scheeps
My teachers tell me there is a reasonable chance some AS stuff will come up and considering what was in BIO4 and the BIO4 retake i don't doubt it.
Can anyone outline the kind of things from AS that might come up? bit of a stretch i know, but someone might know...

Also, says here in the spec; Compare methods of co-ordination in plants and animals i.e. nervous&hormonal against the role of IAA in phototropism. How would you go about answering that?

LASTLY oh man, what social and moral issues are there for the use of the Human Genome Project in new drug development? :s-smilie: i can't stand the ethics side of these exams.

thank you!

The main areas where I expect they'll bring up AS/unit 4 knowledge will be related to the scientific article, like the heart and things we learnt in unit 1, probably not in much detail, but quickly looking at the heart structure and a couple of other things like blood clotting, probably wouldn't hurt. As transcription factors comes up briefly in this topic, maybe also look back at that?

Methods of co-ordination, I think they're most likely to ask for differences between nervous system/ hormones in humans and plant growth factors. e.g.
- nervous response is faster because it uses electrical impulses but more localised
- hormones are a chemical response so slower as they travel in blood, but its more widespread throughout the body.
- plant growth factors are also chemical, but because plants don't have a circulatory system carrying blood, the chemicals (IAA etc.) move by diffusion, so the response is more localised to the area near where they are released.

Finally the ridiculous ethics stuff- you can probably make it up, but what they want are comments about insurance companies getting peoples genome and unfairly discriminating, and drug companies creating drugs for specific genetic variations, which will increase costs and mean that only rich people can afford it.

I'm not 100% about all of this but that's my best guess, hope it helps :smile:
I need help in the brain bit. What are the main things that we need to know for the CT, MRI and fMRI scanning?
can someone pls help me with those phytochrome stuff?? It's really confusing.
So the promoter region doesn't code for a gene? So would you say it's an intron or..?

Um well, I read somewhere that RNA polymerase only starts transcription from the beginning of the coding region and the promoter sequence basically attracts the RNA polymerase towards that region so the promoter region isn't transcribed so it can't be an intron. :smile:
Can anyone please post the question papers for Unit 5 2010 Jan, 2010 June and 2011 Jan?

I am guessing these are the only Unit 5 papers available for the new specification?
Original post by sparkle*92
Um well, I read somewhere that RNA polymerase only starts transcription from the beginning of the coding region and the promoter sequence basically attracts the RNA polymerase towards that region so the promoter region isn't transcribed so it can't be an intron. :smile:

I thought regions that don't get transcribed are introns :s-smilie:
I thought regions that don't get transcribed are introns :s-smilie:

thats wat i thought aswell arent they

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending