The Student Room Group

Psychology A Unit 3 AQA - 17th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1700
who did bruce and young question in perception? How did u find it?
Original post by lol234
who did bruce and young question in perception? How did u find it?

I hated that paper!
Almost burst into tears at the end
Relationship: was pretty good
Intelligence: ok but don't think I had enough evaluation points
Perception: where to begin. I couldn't remember what model it was. So I outlined and evaluated the only explanation for face recognition I can think of which was the biological stuff so said that was Bruce and Young's model. Zero marks I think for that question :frown: am devastated because needed that!
Original post by liamcol123
January 2011?! Pleeeaasseee link it if you do! :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1532524

the jan 11 paper and mark schemes in the first comment in that thread :smile:

ohhh didnt find that one one, thank you! :smile:
Original post by Smilie :)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1532524

the jan 11 paper and mark schemes in the first comment in that thread :smile:

Christ, I don't know what I'm talking about, already got the PSYA4 paper aha, I'm mixing up my subjects! Cheers anyway :smile:
Original post by mvd_02
yeah i think sleep is gnna have two questions.. One on consequences of sleep disruption and the nature of sleep.

honestly. You're some kind of wizard?!?!
Reply 1706
Original post by harleyceverett88

honestly. You're some kind of wizard?!?!

haha I just worked it out LOL xD told a few friends and when we were in the exams, they all looked at me like wth LOL :\ i dno i just guessed it! but not sure for unit 4!
Original post by MVD_02
haha I just worked it out LOL xD told a few friends and when we were in the exams, they all looked at me like wth LOL :\ i dno i just guessed it! but not sure for unit 4!

Dang. Does anyone have any predictions? I did the PSYA4 exam after christmas but epically failed. Does anyone know what came up in it. I know it was a bitch of an exam...

But yeah, how did you find the exam? I was pretty happy!

BIOLOGICAL RHTHYMS: Was completely freaking out about the first question as it was so vague, but I have been assured that my answer is credit-worthy! And, the second question went ok, could've put in more A02/3.
RELATIONSHIPS: Went fine, again, could've picked up a few extra marks. Kicking myself in the teeth now.
AGGRESSION: WENT AMAZINGLY WELL! Could've cried when I saw neural and hormonal come up, and plus I finished it in like 20 minutes, so I had enough time to add a load of alternatives at the end!! :smile:
Reply 1708

Dang. Does anyone have any predictions? I did the PSYA4 exam after christmas but epically failed. Does anyone know what came up in it. I know it was a bitch of an exam...

But yeah, how did you find the exam? I was pretty happy!

BIOLOGICAL RHTHYMS: Was completely freaking out about the first question as it was so vague, but I have been assured that my answer is credit-worthy! And, the second question went ok, could've put in more A02/3.
RELATIONSHIPS: Went fine, again, could've picked up a few extra marks. Kicking myself in the teeth now.
AGGRESSION: WENT AMAZINGLY WELL! Could've cried when I saw neural and hormonal come up, and plus I finished it in like 20 minutes, so I had enough time to add a load of alternatives at the end!! :smile:

Yeahh I loved the aggression and sleep question!! also the eating behaviour one xD

but now its time for UNIT 4! i did the jan paper too.. i got a C but i thought f*** it, might as well retake and hope for the best! but yeah im doing schiz and media :smile: wbu?
Original post by MVD_02
Yeahh I loved the aggression and sleep question!! also the eating behaviour one xD

but now its time for UNIT 4! i did the jan paper too.. i got a C but i thought f*** it, might as well retake and hope for the best! but yeah im doing schiz and media :smile: wbu?

Same :smile: Schizophrenia's easy as it's literally just 5 topics, but media is like 8 :O But I guess it isn't as bad as biological rhythms. Not going to bother learning research methods until monday when I will spend all day on it, as my friend is helping me! And she's an utter genius!
What came up in the last psya4 exam, do you know? And at least you didn't get a U! Haha! I came out adamant in March I got at least a B!! :L
Reply 1710

Same :smile: Schizophrenia's easy as it's literally just 5 topics, but media is like 8 :O But I guess it isn't as bad as biological rhythms. Not going to bother learning research methods until monday when I will spend all day on it, as my friend is helping me! And she's an utter genius!
What came up in the last psya4 exam, do you know? And at least you didn't get a U! Haha! I came out adamant in March I got at least a B!! :L

yeahh that's true and I guess you can kinda suss what may come up.. tbh I got a feeling biological explanations and maybe a psychological/biological therapy will come up :smile: ahh yeah I may leave research methods till monday but bare in mind thats 35 marks!! :| haha aww lucky you xD
and media hmm I dunno, probably revise about half the topics lool! but I hate media :\:\
awwww well i'm very sure you'll smack it this time!! :smile:
Reply 1711
Ahh I have really mixed feelings about the exam - just don't feel like what I wrote was of the quality I normally write (normally get over 23 in essays) and this just didn't feel like it! I hated the splits of some of the q's!

I did sleep, relationships + eating. Really wasnt pleasant

If anyones feeling kind, here's everything i remember i wrote about, how good/bad is it?

Spoiler

Can anyone link me to the unit 4 thread?
Reply 1713
I did Aggression, Sleep and Intelligence.
All 3 Q's I'd predicted to come up, so I was smiling like an idiot when I saw them come up!
Those who did intelligence, how did you include your A03?
I included ethics and something else, just wondering what else we could have written?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ajs2602
I did Aggression, Sleep and Intelligence.
All 3 Q's I'd predicted to come up, so I was smiling like an idiot when I saw them come up!
Those who did intelligence, how did you include your A03?
I included ethics and something else, just wondering what else we could have written?

I talked about it being post hoc therefore deterministic to assume such theories can explain evo of hum I etc.
hated that paper, opened it and my first thoughts were 'i cant answer this'. did manage to figure something out in the end, gave answers for all questions, but whether they were right i guess i'll have to wait and see!
Reply 1716
Original post by gchaggar75
I talked about it being post hoc therefore deterministic to assume such theories can explain evo of hum I etc.

Oh okay, I talked about gender differences in brain size and determinism i think..
Was a tough exam i wrote 12 pages?
Reply 1718
quality not quantity
I think you have an A grade essay there if you evaluated in detail too. I did Eating Behaviour and Relationships:

In relationships I also talked about Bowlby; his primary attachment theory with monotropy, internal working model, continuity hypothesis etc... I then went on to talk about Ainsworth and Bell's similar ideas, then Kaplans ideas such as direct observation, social facilitation, and instruction. I talked about Gabriel and Tarde's social hypothesis of close proximity, imitation of superiors, understanding of concepts and role model behaviour. I then went on about Hazan and Shaver's 'Love Quiz' published in the Rocky Mountain News.

It seems you have decent evaluation in that question, I think you should of perhaps (if you didn't) mentioned about most of the research in this field being emic constructs (primarily made in a Western culture) and then being used as imposed etics. I think you mentioned determinism? - the idea our previous child-parent relationship determines our future adult ones removes our autonomy. I would have mentioned about most of the research being observation so to directly infer cause and effect is difficult etc... I wouldn't worry, you have a much better essay structure than most people, you should be hitting an A grade at least with that; especially due to the lower grade boundaries of Psychology.

I was quite fond of the relationships question. The first five marker was 'Outline' not 'explain', so providing back up research wouldn't have gained you any extra marks, but if you were borederline, may have persuaded the examiner up one. I talked again about Gabriel and Tarde's (1912) original hypothesis on the social learning theory. And I did actually provide back up research about how media plays an influence which can be explained through social learning by Fearn on the Island of Fiji and the media coming into effect before and after 1995 etc... If in your answer you outined fully the approach and gave an example of how it works you'll be hitting 4-5 marks; if you didn't, you'll be hitting around 2/3-4 marks.

I'm glad the evolutionary question came up, it has so many flaws it's easy to find evaluative points. I originally talked about Darwin and the fact our behavioural traits must portray an advantage or make no difference to survival and reproduction and then related it to our modern day society eating behaviours (including all the EEA stuff), I explained all what you did in the first part of your essay; so that's all good! I also talked about Davis and Desor; it's great research, I didn't know anyone else would find it! I also talked about Dunbar's hypothesis on Dietary (with Hladik on smell and taste preferences), Mental Maps and Extractive Foraging hypothesis (with Mercader's research in West Africa and the Kung San, Tazmanian Aborigines tribe) and then Social hypothesis by Stanford on Meat Sharing etc... I like your evaluative points, I also mentioned Karl Poppers falsification principle, determinism, I evaluated at the start how evololutionary theory is the biological approach and the weaknesses of that too.

In principle, you have done well, and included a nice balance of research and evaluation; most people don't mention a lot of research and some completely forget most of the marks are in evaluation and application. I would bet money on you obtaining an A grade, I don't know what you need, if you're looking for an A* or not as that too, is possible. To really analyse what mark you got I'd have to read your real paper, but I'd stop worrying about because you've definitely done fine! :smile:

Original post by Been_22
Ahh I have really mixed feelings about the exam - just don't feel like what I wrote was of the quality I normally write (normally get over 23 in essays) and this just didn't feel like it! I hated the splits of some of the q's!

I did sleep, relationships + eating. Really wasnt pleasant

If anyones feeling kind, here's everything i remember i wrote about, how good/bad is it?

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending