The Student Room Group

ANYBODY like Jane Austen? D:

It's incredible that there's not a society for it yet, if anyone want to join feel free :biggrin:
You can talk about all the shows about her work, films etc :biggrin:

It's called The Jane Austen Society P:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I love P&P, need to read her others though :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
I like Pride and Prejudice. But that really just means Mr Darcy. And that really just means Colin Firth :ahee:
Reply 3
Original post by Pandora.
I love P&P, need to read her others though :colondollar:

I've read S&S but undoubtedly P&P is my favourite D:
MY FRIEND GOT ME THE BOOK + DVD for my birthday ;')

Original post by whitemagesonia
Pride and prejudice rules!!:biggrin::biggrin: Emma looks good too..*quickly scribbles down Emma as a summer read*

I kinda hate emma but then again ive only seen the TV adaptations, I usually do better with it once i've read it :biggrin:

Original post by CrazyBeautiful
I like Pride and Prejudice. But that really just means Mr Darcy. And that really just means Colin Firth :ahee:

I'm more of the Matthew Macfadyen but Colin Firth is also just awesome :3
Reply 4
Original post by CrazyBeautiful

Original post by MOOOSEH
I'm more of the Matthew Macfadyen but Colin Firth is also just awesome :3

I love them both :biggrin::biggrin:

Was S&S good?
Reply 5

I love them both :biggrin::biggrin:

Was S&S good?

Yuss, and I love the adaptation with Emma Thompson + Hugh Grant :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by MOOOSEH
Yuss, and I love the adaptation with Emma Thompson + Hugh Grant :biggrin:

I really need to see that. I love Emma Thompson, she's a brilliant actress :love:
Reply 7
I really need to see that. I love Emma Thompson, she's a brilliant actress :love:

i knowww, she's so beautiful as well D:
Reply 8
Original post by MOOOSEH
i knowww, she's so beautiful as well D:

Absolutely :love:
Original post by MOOOSEH
It's incredible that there's not a society for it yet, if anyone want to join feel free :biggrin:
You can talk about all the shows about her work, films etc :biggrin:

It's called The Jane Austen Society P:

I just joined. I'm a big JA fan (read all her books + short stories + her unfinished works numerous times and have seen nearly all the films/TV adaptations) :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Language_student
I just joined. I'm a big JA fan (read all her books + short stories + her unfinished works numerous times and have seen nearly all the films/TV adaptations) :biggrin:

How would you rate the 6 books? Just out of interest, I've only read P&P (well, I'm reading it anyway :tongue:).
Mr Knightley > Mr Darcy. AND WHAT!
Reply 12
I thought Northanger Abbey was ok(ish). Just found the first part extremely dull! I supose if your into it then your into it...just something that doesn't overly agree with me.
(edited 12 years ago)
To be honest, I only read Jane Austen because of the male charachters.
I loved Mr Knightley for example oh and Mr. Tilney, other than that it is kind of boring but yeah the males with their wittyness keep me reading
How would you rate the 6 books? Just out of interest, I've only read P&P (well, I'm reading it anyway :tongue:).

They are difficult to rate really as it depends on personal taste and I admit that my favourites change quite a lot, but here's what I would say off the top of my head.
1: P&P (Mr. Darcy was my first love :wink: and I like to think that I am like Elizabeth Bennet sometimes. Also, JA writes so beautifully in P&P, but the same is true of all her novels.
2: "Sense and Sensibility" - I like the juxtaposition of the two sisters, Elinor and Marianne, and there is a whole subplot regarding Willoughby (whom I do not like). I recommend S&S next if you want to read more.
3: "Persuasion" - this is the thinnest of JA's novels I think, but it is also one of the most beautiful. You have to read Wentworth's letter to Anne Elliot. It's nearly moved me to tears before! It's one of JA's more sombre novels but it's wonderful.
4: Mansfield Park - a lot of people dislike the heroine of this one and she is a bit prim and proper at times but she's also a strong character.
5: Northanger Abbey - JA wrote NA as a parody of the Gothic romance novels which were popular with young women in the Regency era. A modern-day equivalent of the Gothic romances is probably the "Twilight" series. "Northanger Abbey" is a fun read although not her best. I found the heroine quite irritating as well when I last read it.
6: Emma - I don't know how "Emma" got left until last. It definitely isn't my least favourite but as I said, it is difficult to rate them all in terms of favourites as each time I re-read one it makes me like it even more! The heroine of "Emma" is called Emma Woodhouse and she is frustrating but endearing.

Have fun reading! There's lots more I could say but I'm heading to bed now -- busy day with revision tomorrow. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by T'archer
I thought Northanger Abbey was ok(ish). Just found the first part extremely dull! I supose if your into it then your into it...just something that doesn't overly agree with me.

If you don't mind me saying, it's unusual to find a guy reading Jane Austen (but something which should be encouraged IMO :smile:). Yes, I agree with you about Northanger Abbey. It's not one of her better works IMO but her other novels are quite different.
Reply 16
They are difficult to rate really as it depends on personal taste and I admit that my favourites change quite a lot, but here's what I would say off the top of my head.
1: P&P (Mr. Darcy was my first love :wink: and I like to think that I am like Elizabeth Bennet sometimes. Also, JA writes so beautifully in P&P, but the same is true of all her novels.
2: "Sense and Sensibility" - I like the juxtaposition of the two sisters, Elinor and Marianne, and there is a whole subplot regarding Willoughby (whom I do not like). I recommend S&S next if you want to read more.
3: "Persuasion" - this is the thinnest of JA's novels I think, but it is also one of the most beautiful. You have to read Wentworth's letter to Anne Elliot. It's nearly moved me to tears before! It's one of JA's more sombre novels but it's wonderful.
4: Mansfield Park - a lot of people dislike the heroine of this one and she is a bit prim and proper at times but she's also a strong character.
5: Northanger Abbey - JA wrote NA as a parody of the Gothic romance novels which were popular with young women in the Regency era. A modern-day equivalent of the Gothic romances is probably the "Twilight" series. "Northanger Abbey" is a fun read although not her best. I found the heroine quite irritating as well when I last read it.
6: Emma - I don't know how "Emma" got left until last. It definitely isn't my least favourite but as I said, it is difficult to rate them all in terms of favourites as each time I re-read one it makes me like it even more! The heroine of "Emma" is called Emma Woodhouse and she is frustrating but endearing.

Have fun reading! There's lots more I could say but I'm heading to bed now -- busy day with revision tomorrow. :smile:

Thanks! I'll have to buy the collection :love:
Emma. 'Nuff said.

Spoiler

Also, I predict that there will be a lot of :love: emoticons used in this thread hehe
Reply 18
If you don't mind me saying, it's unusual to find a guy reading Jane Austen (but something which should be encouraged IMO :smile:). Yes, I agree with you about Northanger Abbey. It's not one of her better works IMO but her other novels are quite different.

Not by choice!!! I had to read it for my course last year. But then i'll read pretty much anything anyway. I was thinking about maybe reading some of her other stuff in the next year...to break up some of the other stuff i'm reading (which is totally opposite to the lovely world of Austin!).
Reply 19
I thought P&P was brilliant. I'm reading some H.G. Wells at the moment, but I might read another by Austen afterwards; any suggestions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending