The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by Engineer31
Revising won't help for these exams, there are just going to be some bull**** questions which are ambiguous and require no biological knowledge, in unit 4 they asked you to guess whether you think prescriptions for antibiotics will go below a certain number, and they gave you 4 sets of points which gave a weak negative correlation... FOR 3 MARKS!

It always leaves me feeling cheated that they do so much data analysis in the papers for this course. However, I really shouldn't moan that much as on the whole data analysis questions are VERY easy... pretty much guaranteed marks if you follow the given structure.

This test will be much harder than the last few though with the pre-release material meaning there is 30 marks of synoptic stuff!
Reply 1981
Original post by AGM
It always leaves me feeling cheated that they do so much data analysis in the papers for this course. However, I really shouldn't moan that much as on the whole data analysis questions are VERY easy... pretty much guaranteed marks if you follow the given structure.

This test will be much harder than the last few though with the pre-release material meaning there is 30 marks of synoptic stuff!

what is the structure for data analysis questions lol? i always struggle with them :s-smilie:
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
I've got questions on those I think. I meant like, the role of twin studies, people with damaged brains etc.

Thanks for offering the other questions though, very nice of you. :smile:

lol i'm just trying to cleanse my karma...
here's a question on twin studies:

There is much debate about the reasons for variation in human characteristics. One source of evidence in this ‘nature and nurture’ debate is provided by studies of identical (monozygotic or MZ) twins.

In one study, which involved 69 pairs of identical twins, fifty pairs of the twins had been brought up together since birth and nineteen pairs of the twins had been brought up apart since birth. The height, body mass and intelligence (IQ) of each twin was measured and the difference between each pair was determined for each characteristic.

The table below shows the mean differences between the pairs of twins.

______________________________Mean difference
Characteristic___________together________________apart
Height/cm_______________1.7____________________1.8
Body mass/kg____________1.9____________________4.5
Intelligence (IQ)___________3.1____________________6

(a) Explain what these figures suggest about the effects of nature and nurture on these three characteristics. (3)
(b) Suggest two reasons why the conclusions drawn from the data above should be treated with caution. (2)

Answers:

(a) Identical twins are genetically identical / eq;
Height mainly due to {genes / nature} / not affected much by environment;
Body mass and intelligence are mainly due to{environment / nurture / eq};
Reference to figure(s) to back up argument / valid comparison
e.g. less effect of nurture of those reared together / converse;
[max 2 marks for description]
Reference to body mass e.g. diet, exercise;
Reference to intelligence e.g. schooling, parental encouragement;
Reference to height being {polygenic / multifactorial};
[max 2 marks for explanation]

(b) Only a small sample / eq;
Fewer (MZ) twins reared apart / converse;
Characteristics not measured using {same / comparable} units;
Intelligence {difficult to measure / subjective / testing unreliable};
Reference to not knowing whether the differences are statistically significant;
No comparison with {unrelated people / rest of population / dizygotic twins / other siblings};
Reference to two samples being matched for {age / sex / culture / race / eq};
One-off measurements and differences in characteristics may change over time;
Fears that the data may have been falsified;

..if you give me your email address i can send you the 60 pages worth of questions that i have on the nervous system... there's some stuff on depression, parkinsons etc..
Original post by memomemootoo

Thanks. Does the document have anymore of those nature/nurture ques?

I already got like a 70 page document on nervous questions etc. so won't have enough time answering another load of similar ques
Thanks. Does the document have anymore of those nature/nurture ques?

I already got like a 70 page document on nervous questions etc. so won't have enough time answering another load of similar ques

lol lucky you ...nope no more, i think that was the only one))
Reply 1985
Original post by jklm123
what is the structure for data analysis questions lol? i always struggle with them :s-smilie:

It is usually.

Trend - i.e There is a positive correlation. As exercise increases so does ventilation rate.
Data point - i.e The peak comes at 5 minutes where ventilation rate hits 25.
Data manipulation - i.e This peak is 50% higher than when the person started exercising.

3 points in the bag nice and easy :wink:
lol lucky you ...nope no more, i think that was the only one))

Bet edexcel are saving them up for our exam :colone:

Yeah I'm hoping to start it at 2 and finish it by the end of the day. So many questions :frown:
ey do you have the questions on nervous you have attached only the answers??they seems to be good,where do yu get them have u got more on othertopics.please attach the questions.
do you mean the stuff on habituation and cute little kittens with sewn up eyes?

if yes then i've got some questions but they're too heavy to upload on here... i can try sending them to your email if you like..?
oh dear oh dear :emo:
Original post by Maria1234
ey do you have the questions on nervous you have attached only the answers??they seems to be good,where do yu get them have u got more on othertopics.please attach the questions.

the questions were too big to upload on here... if you like you can send me your email address and i'll email them to you :smile:

...i uploaded some more questions on other topics earlier in this thread...
I thought regions that don't get transcribed are introns :s-smilie:

Nope. Introns are transcribed to make strands of pre-mRNA and then during the post-transcriptional changes, spliceosomes remove the introns and splice together exons to make mRNA.
Reply 1991
For the point of the specification: describe how plants detect light using photoreceptors and how they respond to environmental cues.

What exactly do this include?

I've revised all of the phytochromes, long day plants, short day plants, but what does the environmental cues bit entail?
Original post by lbavfc
For the point of the specification: describe how plants detect light using photoreceptors and how they respond to environmental cues.

What exactly do this include?

I've revised all of the phytochromes, long day plants, short day plants, but what does the environmental cues bit entail?

Stuff like light intensity, direction of light, gravity, water, touch, chemicals, length of darkness..factors that plants respond to (tropisms).
Original post by sparkle*92
Nope. Introns are transcribed to make strands of pre-mRNA and then during the post-transcriptional changes, spliceosomes remove the introns and splice together exons to make mRNA.

Ah yes, you are correct. The entire gene is transcribed and then the changes are made. Cheers :smile:
Difference between atpase and atpsynthase anyone
can anyone explain it to me how IGF-1 supresses FOXO?
hey guys, any questions for the response of plants?? especially the phytochrome part!! and could someone tells me how exactly phytochrome works?
Reply 1997
why is the IGF-1 GENE localised?
Not sure but i have at the moment that it prevents other organs from growing, so only mucles can increase in their size.

this is the article
Reply 1998
Original post by sadbuttrue92
hey guys, any questions for the response of plants?? especially the phytochrome part!! and could someone tells me how exactly phytochrome works?

two types Pf and Pfr.
Pf absorbs red light and is converted into pfr
pfr absorbs far red light and forms pr

in long winters-plenty of darkness so large amount of pfr is converted into pr
summer not enough time nor darkness for pfr to be convereted into pf as not nuf of far red light is absorbed due to lack of darkness

long day plnts only flower when the exceed critical value and when the have a period of darkness less than 12 hours
so these pfr so less than 12 means less darkness so more red light so more pfr converted into pfr stimulate flowering

short day plnts
only flowe when the have more than 12 hours of darkness so these need pf so by having more darkness more pfr absorbs far red light and forms pf which is used for flowering

rushed kinda revisin article
Original post by voices1
two types Pf and Pfr.
Pf absorbs red light and is converted into pfr
pfr absorbs far red light and forms pr

in long winters-plenty of darkness so large amount of pfr is converted into pr
summer not enough time nor darkness for pfr to be convereted into pf as not nuf of far red light is absorbed due to lack of darkness

long day plnts only flower when the exceed critical value and when the have a period of darkness less than 12 hours
so these pfr so less than 12 means less darkness so more red light so more pfr converted into pfr stimulate flowering

short day plnts
only flowe when the have more than 12 hours of darkness so these need pf so by having more darkness more pfr absorbs far red light and forms pf which is used for flowering

rushed kinda revisin article

thx :smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending