The Student Room Group

June 2011 G485-Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by FristyKino

Original post by FristyKino
Agh **** sorry for the neg rep. Didnt mean to press that :frown:
I did resat unit 2 aswell. but didnt bother with unit 1 and 3.
Have a mid B in unit 1 and was 2ums points off a b in unit3

Heh, lucky you =P i got a D in every exam so far because i've been so set on Chemistry.. Soooo, im resitting everything now, and all i see when i go to bed is E=MC^2 x_x
Reply 161
Do we need to know what quarks and antiquarks make up mesons?
Reply 162

Original post by M_I
Do we need to know what quarks and antiquarks make up mesons?

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/kd/ocr_9587_kd_gce_spec.pdf

I dont think we do, but have a look on the specification ^^^
Reply 163
Scratch that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 164
Original post by Terror

Original post by Terror
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/kd/ocr_9587_kd_gce_spec.pdf

I dont think we do, but have a look on the specification ^^^

OK...and can you explain how we find the average increase or decrease in binding energy?....Its probably simple, but I don't get it. :frown:
Reply 165

Original post by M_I
Pretty much all of it lol.

Mainly ultrasound and x-ray. I don't get anything about ultrasound and don't get some x-ray equations and questions.....thanks.

here's something on X-ray For you then
X-ray tube: How are x-rays produced in a X-ray Tube and what energy changes take place?

In an X-ray Tube the electrons are emmited from the heated filament (cathode), The electrons are accelerated through a high Potential different in the evacuated X-ray tube towards the Tungston Anode. As the electrons smash into the tungston anode, about 1% of their kinetic energy is converted into X-ray photons. The rest of the 99% of the kinetic engery of the electrons is transffered as heat in the tungston anode. The tungston metal needs to be cooled down due to the bombarding of electrons, so therefore either oil is circulated through the metal or a motor turns the tungston anode to let it cool from one side whilst other parts of the tungston are smashed by electrons. The X-ray photons produced escape through a small window in the led casing in which the X-ray tube is situated. Then the flow of X-ray photons is controlled.

The reason why the X-ray tube is evacuated ( its a vacuum) is because the electrons need a certain amount of engergy to produce X-ray photons as they are decelerated when hitting the tungston anode. So therefore, a vacuum prevents them hitting an gas molecules which would slow them down on the way to the tungston anode.

The is question is worth around 7 to 8 marks but I've given a lot more points for reference.
The process by which electrons are emmited from the cathode in the X-ray tube is called Thermionic emission.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 166
Ok with ultra sound, the book just goes off on a mad one and i cant really separate the information needed to anser the syllabus statements, please help.

1) Describe the piezo electric effect

Would this be a big mark question?
Original post by Ralphus J
Ok with ultra sound, the book just goes off on a mad one and i cant really separate the information needed to anser the syllabus statements, please help.

1) Describe the piezo electric effect

Would this be a big mark question?

No, it came up last time as a 2 marker.
Reply 168
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey

Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
No, it came up last time as a 2 marker.

What do you think will be a big mark question?
Reply 169
Original post by m92singh

Original post by m92singh
here's something on X-ray For you then
X-ray tube: How are x-rays produced in a X-ray Tube and what energy changes take place?

In an X-ray Tube the electrons are emmited from the heated filament (cathode), The electrons are accelerated through a high Potential different in the evacuated X-ray tube towards the Tungston Anode. As the electrons smash into the tungston anode, about 1% of their kinetic energy is converted into X-ray photons. The rest of the 99% of the kinetic engery of the electrons is transffered as heat in the tungston anode. The tungston metal needs to be cooled down due to the bombarding of electrons, so therefore either oil is circulated through the metal or a motor turns the tungston anode to let it cool from one side whilst other parts of the tungston are smashed by electrons. The X-ray photons produced escape through a small window in the led casing in which the X-ray tube is situated. Then the flow of X-ray photons is controlled.

The reason why the X-ray tube is evacuated ( its a vacuum) is because the electrons need a certain amount of engergy to produce X-ray photons as they are decelerated when hitting the tungston anode. So therefore, a vacuum prevents them hitting an gas molecules which would slow them down on the way to the tungston anode.

The is question is worth around 7 to 8 marks but I've given a lot more points for reference.
The process by which electrons are emmited from the cathode in the X-ray tube is called Thermionic emission.

Thanks

How does increasing the tube voltage give the electrons more kinetic energy? Is there an equation that links the two?
Original post by M_I
What do you think will be a big mark question?

I think its more likely another topic will come up, but I wouldnt rule Ultrasound out.
Reply 171
eurghh i hate G485
medical physics is awful! :frown:
been trying to revise electromagnetism...does anyone know the function of a simple ac generator? :smile:
Reply 172
Original post by Lolly1

In X-ray imaging xrays are attenuated by absorption and scattering in three main ways, one is the photoelectric effect.

the cgp book says this:

a photon with around 30keV is absorbed by an electron and ejected from its atom. the gap in the electron shell is filled by another electron, which emits a photon.

are both the photons mentioned x-ray photons????

thanks guys
Reply 173
Original post by Lolly1

Original post by Lolly1
eurghh i hate G485
medical physics is awful! :frown:
been trying to revise electromagnetism...does anyone know the function of a simple ac generator? :smile:

Isn't it to produce an alternating current (electrical energy) from kinetic energy?
Reply 174
Can some one explain Flouroscopy?
Reply 175
Original post by rebmu
transformers are basically very simple you just have to use the equation vs/vp=ns/np
voltage in the secondary coil divided by the primary coil = numbers of coils in secondary coil/ number of coils in primary coil.
so its basically a ratio thing
so if you're given a question for example that if you needed to step down 230,000 volts to 230v and you had 5000 turns on the secondary coil you would simply
go 230/230,000=1/1000
1/1000= ?/5000 so the awnser is you would need 5 turns in the primary coil.
and for other things you just rearrange the formula accordingly.
and basiclaly step up tranformers have less turns in the secondary coil than the primary coil and for step down transformers as in this example the number of turns in the secondary coil is higher than the number of turns in the primary coil
think the revision guide explains it clearer than me so have a look in cgp:smile:

ooh ooh dw i just relzaised what i did wrong i was just being a tard you would have 5 million coils in the primary coil as it should have been rearranged to 1/1000=5000/?
Some of these exam questions on electricity are horrible.

Can anyone tell me what they did on page 120 Q3e, and why on Q2cii) It says the rod stays stationary, surely the positive side attracts to the negative plate and vise versa thus turning it.
Reply 177
There is SO MUCH PHYSICS!
Dream question:

'Fail to calculate this really difficult capacitor question'

I HATE capacitors more than anything.
Original post by M_I
Thanks

How does increasing the tube voltage give the electrons more kinetic energy? Is there an equation that links the two?

The electrons travel through more volts so the eV (electron volts) increases.

An electron volt is a standard unit of energy meaning it can make eV= 1/2 mv^2 so increasing the voltake increases eV and increases KE :smile:
Reply 179
Original post by jam.wa
There is SO MUCH PHYSICS!
Dream question:

'Fail to calculate this really difficult capacitor question'

I HATE capacitors more than anything.

Can you do resistors? I like to look at Capacitors like resistors even though they're not :redface:
V=IR and Q=VC
In Series or a resistor is a parrallel for a capacitor :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending