The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Accomodation at Imperial

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Original post by Dark-Myth
I had a lot of faith until I 'met' you... oh the purple bruises on my ego *hmph* xD

I'm kidding.

There there, does babby want an ice pack for those bruises?! XD /jestjestjest

(Pity it won't let me rep you. ><)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 861
applied Beit, Eastside, Southside, Garden, Weeks

fingers crossed for one of the first three :smile::smile:
Can't wait for imperial!!! woooop
Reply 862
Original post by arianex

(Pity it won't let me rep you. &gt;&lt:wink:

Shame. I can't rep you back either.
I reckon just get me some money for a kettle would do...

xD xD
Reply 863
Original post by arianex

(Pity it won't let me rep you. &gt;&lt:wink:

xD xD

Shame. You could just both rep me instead then :tongue:.
Reply 864
Original post by Zottula
Shame. You could just both rep me instead then :tongue:.

Shame.
"Please rate some other members before rating this member again."

I can't even if I try.
Reply 865
Shame.
&quot;Please rate some other members before rating this member again.&quot;

I can't even if I try.

I'm amused you actually tried.

Hmmm. So what have you recently repped me for (or negged)?
Reply 866
Original post by Zottula
I'm amused you actually tried.

Hmmm. So what have you recently repped me for (or negged)?

Not a clue. You ought to tell me which post you last received rep for. That might have been me. Who knows. That said, I've not repped anyone for a small while, because I haven't been that active.
Reply 867
Not a clue. You ought to tell me which post you last received rep for. That might have been me. Who knows. That said, I've not repped anyone for a small while, because I haven't been that active.

Erm well I've been repped and negged a lot recently so wouldn't know. Ah well, doesn't matter.
Reply 868

xD xD

Oh shuddup you. :tongue: Please don't stoop to THAT level, I thought the BS allergy thing was a done deal... xD

Original post by Zottula
Erm well I've been repped and negged a lot recently so wouldn't know. Ah well, doesn't matter.

Ditto, can't rep you either. :frown:
Reply 869
Hello friends,

As you can see I'm fairly new, although have been reading the forums quite a bit. I'm an exchange student from Australia and applied for accommodation to Imperial, but I didn't get to choose specific rooms like you guys seem to, only price bands. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Sorry to get the conversation back on topic... :P
Reply 870
Original post by Levo
Hello friends,

As you can see I'm fairly new, although have been reading the forums quite a bit. I'm an exchange student from Australia and applied for accommodation to Imperial, but I didn't get to choose specific rooms like you guys seem to, only price bands. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Sorry to get the conversation back on topic... :P

Even specific room types have their corresponding price bands beside them; e.g. Garden - Triple Room - Less than 100 (ppw) and Garden - Single Room - 130-145 (ppw, or something like that.) Are you saying that all you were given was the list of price bands, and that you only got to pick one? :/
Reply 871
Original post by arianex
Even specific room types have their corresponding price bands beside them; e.g. Garden - Triple Room - Less than 100 (ppw) and Garden - Single Room - 130-145 (ppw, or something like that.) Are you saying that all you were given was the list of price bands, and that you only got to pick one? :/

Not quite, I probably should have been more specific. I could choose a room type, in each college, with a specific price band. I could only choose each college once though. I'm not sure if you could choose it multiple times, but I read somewhere that someone could. Also people are saying they could choose from Deluxe/Premium/Standard single. I couldn't. It only came up as Single 175-190pw or something, which incorporates both the premium and standard room rates. So maybe it wasn't so different to what you guys could choose from.

Also, I said that price band was more important to me. Considering I chose single rooms in eastside and southside, which are pretty high price bands, what will this mean if I don't get these rooms? Do they go for the lowest price bands? Or is based on the price band in my preferences?

So many questions...
Reply 872
Original post by Levo
Not quite, I probably should have been more specific. I could choose a room type, in each college, with a specific price band. I could only choose each college once though. I'm not sure if you could choose it multiple times, but I read somewhere that someone could. Also people are saying they could choose from Deluxe/Premium/Standard single. I couldn't. It only came up as Single 175-190pw or something, which incorporates both the premium and standard room rates. So maybe it wasn't so different to what you guys could choose from.

Also, I said that price band was more important to me. Considering I chose single rooms in eastside and southside, which are pretty high price bands, what will this mean if I don't get these rooms? Do they go for the lowest price bands? Or is based on the price band in my preferences?

So many questions...

It's not each college, it's "each hall". Garden is a hall. Eastside is a hall. Beit is a hall. Wilson is a hall. (And etcetera. xD) All these *halls* belong to one College - Imperial college. xD

Here's how it works: Room type refers to single/twin/triple, ensuite or not does not fall under that. You can choose two different room types within a hall - I put down a Garden Triple and a Garden Twin, and that went through. You cannot, however, put down two of the same room type even if one is ensuite and one isn't; so for example, if I put down a twin non ensuite in Beit, I can't put down the twin ensuite option as well.
When people talk about putting deluxe/premium/standard down in their apps, it just means that they chose the relevant price bands (there aren't actually "deluxe/premium/standard" options listed in the apps.) People know that if it's a single and it's more than 190 ppw, that's GOT to be deluxe.

It depends on what price band the majority of your rooms fall under - I believe they'll definitely look at that. (Say for example: someone who puts down mostly rooms under 100 ppw but has one in the 100-115 range and puts down price as the important factor will probably be more likely to get a <100ppw room.) That said, having put down singles at Eastside and Southside, they'll know that you can afford anything that falls into that price band...so they'll probably bear that in mind when allocating rooms.

Don't sweat it - any other Qs, just fire away. There are also a few seniors lurking around who will probably have loads more info at their fingertips than I will. xD

PS// I think it's safe to say that you got the same app like all of us.
Reply 873
Original post by arianex
It's not each college, it's "each hall". Garden is a hall. Eastside is a hall. Beit is a hall. Wilson is a hall. (And etcetera. xD) All these *halls* belong to one College - Imperial college. xD

Here's how it works: Room type refers to single/twin/triple, ensuite or not does not fall under that. You can choose two different room types within a hall - I put down a Garden Triple and a Garden Twin, and that went through. You cannot, however, put down two of the same room type even if one is ensuite and one isn't; so for example, if I put down a twin non ensuite in Beit, I can't put down the twin ensuite option as well.
When people talk about putting deluxe/premium/standard down in their apps, it just means that they chose the relevant price bands (there aren't actually "deluxe/premium/standard" options listed in the apps.) People know that if it's a single and it's more than 190 ppw, that's GOT to be deluxe.

It depends on what price band the majority of your rooms fall under - I believe they'll definitely look at that. (Say for example: someone who puts down mostly rooms under 100 ppw but has one in the 100-115 range and puts down price as the important factor will probably be more likely to get a <100ppw room.) That said, having put down singles at Eastside and Southside, they'll know that you can afford anything that falls into that price band...so they'll probably bear that in mind when allocating rooms.

Don't sweat it - any other Qs, just fire away. There are also a few seniors lurking around who will probably have loads more info at their fingertips than I will. xD

PS// I think it's safe to say that you got the same app like all of us.

Oh sorry. Here we call all the halls 'colleges', and the college 'uni'. My fault, just getting confused with the terminology.

See, one difference is that you can choose, for example, Garden Triple and Garden Twin. I couldn't do that. I would only have been able to choose one. If I tried to choose another it said that I am only allowed to choose one room type from each hall. I think. Actually maybe I just tried single in a different price band. Serves me right for being so antisocial with my room choice...

Anyway thanks for the help. I don't think I have many other questions for now. Been lurking a bit so I know a bit of the info. I'm looking forward to going though. Assuming my final acceptance comes through. Then I'll be a 3rd year 21/22 year old living with all the fresher 18 year olds in halls. Hopefully they don't party TOO much because some of us might have to study...
Reply 874
Original post by Levo
Oh sorry. Here we call all the halls 'colleges', and the college 'uni'. My fault, just getting confused with the terminology.

See, one difference is that you can choose, for example, Garden Triple and Garden Twin. I couldn't do that. I would only have been able to choose one. If I tried to choose another it said that I am only allowed to choose one room type from each hall. I think. Actually maybe I just tried single in a different price band. Serves me right for being so antisocial with my room choice...

Anyway thanks for the help. I don't think I have many other questions for now. Been lurking a bit so I know a bit of the info. I'm looking forward to going though. Assuming my final acceptance comes through. Then I'll be a 3rd year 21/22 year old living with all the fresher 18 year olds in halls. Hopefully they don't party TOO much because some of us might have to study...

Nah, it's understandable. Places like Yale dub their halls [residential] colleges so I'm not surprised. For us, college/uni is kinda interchangeable; but usually we use uni to refer to those places that do both UG + PG courses, and college to refer to those with only UG. Don't ask me why ICL uses that word in its, though :tongue: It *does* have university status, however...

No probs - and don't sweat it, halls aren't just filled with only freshers. Okay, most of your hall mates ARE gonna be freshers; but there are hall seniors (year 2 onwards) in every hall who assist the wardens with hall admin and stuff like that, so you -will- have older peeps to talk to. :smile: Plus, you do get the odd soph/junior/senior who stays in halls as well, so yeah. ^^

Also, there's a good mix of every type (partiers, well-balanced etc), even amongst the freshers :smile:
Reply 875
Original post by Levo

Just to be confusing we use both "university" and "college" to describe some universities. Often related to the size of them. I think Imperial call themselves a college because they used to be a college in the University of London but now they are just a stand alone university that happens to call themselves a college.

Some universities do refer to their halls as being part of a college though and have this weird college system.

Wouldn't worry about being a 3rd year 21/22 year old. There will mostly be freshers, but some older people will be in halls. You'll also have people who have taken gap years and so will be older or people who have just chosen to go to university later on. You also have freaks like me who don't like partying and are fans of peace and quiet so you'll be fine :smile:. I expect you'll meet quite few people at Imperial who are quiet, studious types rather than wild party animals.
Reply 876
Original post by Zottula
Just to be confusing we use both "university" and "college" to describe some universities. Often related to the size of them. I think Imperial call themselves a college because they used to be a college in the University of London but now they are just a stand alone university that happens to call themselves a college.

Some universities do refer to their halls as being part of a college though and have this weird college system.

Wouldn't worry about being a 3rd year 21/22 year old. There will mostly be freshers, but some older people will be in halls. You'll also have people who have taken gap years and so will be older or people who have just chosen to go to university later on. You also have freaks like me who don't like partying and are fans of peace and quiet so you'll be fine :smile:. I expect you'll meet quite few people at Imperial who are quiet, studious types rather than wild party animals.

Awesome. You guys are so helpful. Maybe I'll just keep posting all my other questions in this thread.

I'm doing Chemical Engineering. Does anyone know what the work load is like? What periods in the year can I travel? I've heard that most of the work comes in the form of exams in the may/june period, so I know not to go away then. And presumably Christmas is a holiday. But there's a music festival I want to go to in early December, what are the chances I'll be able to get away for a whole weekend? Also, is the time around April relaxing, or is everyone studying for exams already? And how many non-exam assessments are there for the average subject?

Maybe I should have started another thread...
Reply 877
Original post by Levo
Awesome. You guys are so helpful. Maybe I'll just keep posting all my other questions in this thread.

I'm doing Chemical Engineering. Does anyone know what the work load is like? What periods in the year can I travel? I've heard that most of the work comes in the form of exams in the may/june period, so I know not to go away then. And presumably Christmas is a holiday. But there's a music festival I want to go to in early December, what are the chances I'll be able to get away for a whole weekend? Also, is the time around April relaxing, or is everyone studying for exams already? And how many non-exam assessments are there for the average subject?

Maybe I should have started another thread...

Workload - Best leave this Q to an actual senior doing the subject...tell you what, why not join the ICL Freshers 2011 Facebook group and post that Q there? :smile:

Breaks - We have 3 terms with 3 corresponding breaks: Christmas, Easter and Summer. Christmas break is around mid-December and lasts 3-4 weeks, same goes for Easter which I believe is around March. I believe weekends are do-as-you-please affairs...so I don't see how getting away is going to be a problem yet. :smile:

Non-exam assessments - Again, best handled by seniors; but they probably vary from subject to subject.
Reply 878
Out of Beit, Southside, Willis Jackson, which is the closest to the college?
Reply 879
Original post by hardees
Out of Beit, Southside, Willis Jackson, which is the closest to the college?

Beit's closest as it's right opposite the lecture halls. After that is Southside, which is 5 mins away max (I think it's less), then there's Willis Jackson which is 15-ish mins away (it's in the Fulham/Chelsea area though.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending