The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zjs
Ad infinitum. :moon:

I have, unfortunately, had the misfortune of watching two of the films out at the minute. If melodrama, angsty teenage decision-making and relationships are your thing, in the context of particularly feeble-looking vampires, then you'll love it.

I am the victim of the girlfriend and have been dragged to see all 3 in cinemas :emo:
Original post by zjs
It certainly doesn't have Carribean in the title. :fyi: :colonhash:

Smartarse :p:
Reply 2722
Original post by cambo211
I am the victim of the girlfriend and have been dragged to see all 3 in cinemas :emo:

This. :emo:

Why can't they have good taste in films? :nopity:

Original post by Jace Falco
Smartarse :p:

Jealousy doesn't suit you. :hand:
I have also been a victim of girls and twilight. :emo: Except instead of going to the cinema and having it all done within two hours or so, I had to read it. :indiff:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2724
Original post by Christien
I have also been a victim of girls and twilight. :emo: Except instead of going to the cinema and having it all done within two hours or so, I had to read it. :indiff:

At least you could slip another book inside it, pretend to read it while spacing out or mysteriously read large chunks of the book when she wasn't around and then give your opinion of the series, gleaned entirely from Wikipedia.

We had to stay staring at the screen and be nudged awake/continually scrutinised. :cry2:

It was like the reconditioning scene in A Clockwork Orange.
Original post by zjs
At least you could slip another book inside it, pretend to read it while spacing out or mysteriously read large chunks of the book when she wasn't around and then give your opinion of the series, gleaned entirely from Wikipedia.

We had to stay staring at the screen and be nudged awake/continually scrutinised. :cry2:

I wanted to do it honestly, despite knowing I would hate it, as it was part of a book swap thing. She never actually read the one I gave her. :colonhash:
Reply 2726
Original post by Phalanges
Fancy watching a film this afternoon. Any suggestions? Needs to be one I have, other than that I'm open to any ideas.

Red Road?
Reply 2727
I wanted to do it honestly, despite knowing I would hate it, as it was part of a book swap thing. She never actually read the one I gave her. :colonhash:

Your dignity lies like a carcass at the side of the road, trampled by all. :sadnod:
Watched the Karate Kid remake (finally...) and have to say that it was better then I had expected it to be. Wasn't great by any means, but still watch able.

Jaden Smith has potential, I think he'll have quite a decent career if he sticks to it.
I watched the first Twilight film out of curiosity.

Curiosity satisfied :colonhash: Never again.
Original post by zjs
Your dignity lies like a carcass at the side of the road, trampled by all. :sadnod:

Basically yes. I spend so much time on here to escape being that pitiful, beleaguered pushover. :sadnod:

reading it, oh dear god... then again it's a case of books > the films, which have become a reference point for popular jokes/parodies and all

Going to see twilight at cinemas is ok, just not with dudes...
Original post by zjs
Bad Company was excellent, and Bad Company 2 was equally sublime, imo. The different options somehow "made" the game for me. Although the improvements weren't extreme, they were very good. The different weapons, and things like the defibrillator for the Medic, changed the entire dynamic of the game. COD has been milked excessively, now, what with MW, MW2, World at War and now another title. That said, World at War was obviously from a different developer. I haven't played MW2 online as I haven't had a chance to, seeing as my PS3's at home.

Yeah, the different classes really contributed to gameplay in their own ways. I loved the teamwork aspect of Bad Company 2. Going lone wolf on CoD is boring and rather soulless gameplay. Yeah, Activision have devised a perfect formula for milking. The developers Infinity Ward and Treyarch interchangeable develop games (spending roughly 1 year on each game). Ensures a game every year.

When's the new COD out? I'd like to play the previous title online, but haven't been able to in the last six months. There'll be little point if the new one's out soon-ish, as everyone will migrate there. :grumble:

November 8. Yeah, there's little point in getting it now. I jumped on the Black Ops bandwagon a little late too (university and general disinterest in gaming) and the only good thing about the game was the Zombie mode.

They're not that important. The graphics in GTA4, as an example, or the latest COD were sufficient for me to think they were fantastic. I still welcome slight improvements and tweaks for realism but not, as you say, at the expense of the enjoyability of the game that lies underneath.

I like when they really push boundaries. Have you seen the facial animations in L.A. Noire? Bloody fantastic. Modern Warfare 3 looks like a rehash of MW2 where as Battlefield 3 looks pretty sexy aesthetically.

I thought the second one was a tad too ridiculous right from the point that putting one's heart in a box makes you Davey Jones was brought up. I did like the Kraken though. Always have done; the concept of it, at least. The third was awful, bar the fight sequence at the end. Not enough to save the film though. Wouldn't have watched this POTC if I hadn't been forced to. :colonhash: In all honesty, I've never wanted to see any of them at the cinema. The first one was a decent surprise when I was a kid and I think I ended up watching it twice. After that, it was a case of being the only film on when I went with mates, and the most recent was thanks to the girlfriend. :unimpressed:

And they killed it [Kraken] off-screen with no reason being given to why and a later scene with Jack looking over its corpse. What a way to go. Just like Cyclops in X-Men 3. The whole deal with Calypso made little to no sense. They spend the entire film hyping her up and what does she do? Cause a storm? :facepalm2:

Your girlfriend a fan of Captain Jack Sparrow? :awesome:

For someone so famously 'bad-ass' I was expecting him to be a lot more fearsome than he was. Probably the disadvantage of it being a Disney movie, though. I thought his voodoo-magic-thing was alright though.

Yeah, the villains are always degraded to laughable characters. Voodoo made no sense. :colonhash:

Not so much spoilers to anyone else reading: they threw the doll off a cliff and into the water below. Logically, Jack should have been hurt by the fall and died due to drowning. He screamed a bit and that was it.

The plot needs to actually be original in the next, rather than the formulaic "Jack sets compass for place noone thinks exist. Jack has trouble reaching said destination. Jack eventually reaches said destination. Fighting ensues. Jack eventually just fails to get what he was really looking for, but ultimately succeeds".

As soon as I read 'said destination' Sparrow's voice kicked in. Those are the words he typically uses. :teehee:

This doesn't make you feel any better about the future:

Gross revenue: $926,976,000
Original post by Phalanges
I'd attempt to screenshot but it would take too long. :p: I've got about 250, and they spread quite a wide range of genres. Ironically I don't have any of those though (I do have a DVD of Yuma kicking around somewhere but I never ripped it and didn't bother bringing any DVDs with me).

Have you watched Sherlock at least? Or were they empty promises? :pierre:

If you still need a film to watch: V for Vendetta, A Beautiful Mind, Oldboy or you could just forgo any social outing tomorrow, become a hermit and sit down to re-watch The Bourne Identity, Supremacy and Ultimatum. :awesome:

Original post by lukejoshjedi
Yeah some people have commented on how it doesn't even seem like a sequel, rather like a stand-alone film or something, however bad Potc 4 is, Jack Sparrow still managed to bring in audiences

The only thing that's surprised me about Pirates 4 has been its' relative success at the box office, it's not actually done too bad somehow...

Relative success? Man-yo, it's nearly earned $1 billion within a few weeks of release. :pierre:

So, having read the book, are you convinced Edward's face is the most beautiful thing in the universe? The most angelic? Perfectly carved? Chiselled? Sculptured? His break like the sweet smell of strawberries mixed with apricots? Or his eyes the warm golden colour that makes you all fuzzy inside? Or perhaps his soft lips so unlike his hard exterior? Or his fuzzy hair that you just want to melt and soak your hands into?

Eh?

Original post by zjs

:rofl:

Of all the times I have received Please rate some other members before rating this member again these past few days, why now?
Reply 2734
Just watched Austrailia. Have attempted to watch it in the past but fallen asleep. I have a problem with movies that go much past 90 mins lol. I start to either get really restless or else really bored, no matter how good the film is. But, I managed to get through it this time, and really enjoyed it.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

So, having read the book, are you convinced Edward's face is the most beautiful thing in the universe? The most angelic? Perfectly carved? Chiselled? Sculptured? His break like the sweet smell of strawberries mixed with apricots? Or his eyes the warm golden colour that makes you all fuzzy inside? Or perhaps his soft lips so unlike his hard exterior? Or his fuzzy hair that you just want to melt and soak your hands into?

Eh?

No.

You know, before I read Twilight, I was firmly convinced that people have the right to enjoy whatever they please. Many would heap scorn upon my obsession with Star Wars, and every argument I would make fell upon deaf ears. As such, I felt a peculiar kinship with these people; they liked something outside of the norm, something not everyone would be on board with. Why did they deserve so much crap for liking something that didn't fall in line with most other people's interests?

Then I read the book.

Every poorly-constructed sentence, every instance of Edward and Bella looking longingly at one other, the climax that exists solely because you can't have a vampire novel without someone getting ****ed up led to everything negative everyone said being wholly justified.

I will never forgive the lady in question for subjecting me to that, I will never forgive Ms. Meyer for writing it. I will never forgive the publisher for thinking it might be something someone might want to eventually read. My faith in literature, art and humanity was destroyed completely.

I might not like the films of, say, James Cameron, but I can at least respect the craftsmanship, and that even if his pictures are essentially cliche-ridden nonsense, something important happens whenever he directs a film. Meyer contributes nothing to anything. She documents her sex dreams and sells them by the ton. :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by bino756
Just watched Austrailia. Have attempted to watch it in the past but fallen asleep. I have a problem with movies that go much past 90 mins lol. I start to either get really restless or else really bored, no matter how good the film is. But, I managed to get through it this time, and really enjoyed it.

I thought Australia was alright but I do think it dragged a little. I'm not sure I would say that I have a problem with films over 90 minutes but I believe that the vast majority of films could be a lot shorter. 90 minutes, or less, used to be the norm back in the day but now film makers tend to get a bit carried away and include scenes that aren't all that necessary.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah, the different classes really contributed to gameplay in their own ways. I loved the teamwork aspect of Bad Company 2. Going lone wolf on CoD is boring and rather soulless gameplay. Yeah, Activision have devised a perfect formula for milking. The developers Infinity Ward and Treyarch interchangeable develop games (spending roughly 1 year on each game). Ensures a game every year.

Battlefield seems to have built up quite a bit of goodwill over the last couple of months, but they came perilously close to pissing all of their efforts up the wall with this hastily retracted retailer-exclusive DLC bull****. Activision must have been laughing themselves silly watching EA self-sabotage like that.

That is a truly staggering amount of money. Granted, Hangover 2 and PotC have pretty much had the entire last month to themselves with pretty much no other big releases, but the figures are still insane. Guess that just shows the power of 3D, particularly in places like China and Russia.

Have you watched Sherlock at least? Or were they empty promises? :pierre:

If you still need a film to watch: V for Vendetta, A Beautiful Mind, Oldboy or you could just forgo any social outing tomorrow, become a hermit and sit down to re-watch The Bourne Identity, Supremacy and Ultimatum. :awesome:

As far as I'm aware BBC haven't repeated Sherlock, so I haven't had the chance.

Don't have the time to watch a trilogy tomorrow, sadly. Ended up going for Jackie Brown today, amazing as always.
Reply 2738
No.

You know, before I read Twilight, I was firmly convinced that people have the right to enjoy whatever they please. Many would heap scorn upon my obsession with Star Wars, and every argument I would make fell upon deaf ears. As such, I felt a peculiar kinship with these people; they liked something outside of the norm, something not everyone would be on board with. Why did they deserve so much crap for liking something that didn't fall in line with most other people's interests?

Then I read the book.

Every poorly-constructed sentence, every instance of Edward and Bella looking longingly at one other, the climax that exists solely because you can't have a vampire novel without someone getting ****ed up led to everything negative everyone said being wholly justified.

I will never forgive the lady in question for subjecting me to that, I will never forgive Ms. Meyer for writing it. I will never forgive the publisher for thinking it might be something someone might want to eventually read. My faith in literature, art and humanity was destroyed completely.

I might not like the films of, say, James Cameron, but I can at least respect the craftsmanship, and that even if his pictures are essentially cliche-ridden nonsense, something important happens whenever he directs a film. Meyer contributes nothing to anything. She documents her sex dreams and sells them by the ton. :colonhash:

You've aroused my curiosity. I might give it a read now.

Phalanges
Ended up going for Jackie Brown today, amazing as always.

I love Jackie Brown, it's ridiculously underrated.
Reply 2739

I like the "points" system that operates in Battlefield. The fact that I can sit behind a teammate's tank, as an Engineer, and repair it for a consistent slew of points and then get into the tank and take down the enemy with the tank's machine gun. I thought the addition of your own 'squad' within the team was a great feature too, as helping them earned you three times the points and you could use them to spawn on. The downside of this was the difficulty the server often found in selecting me a squad.

The problem with COD is that you almost have to camp to get the higher killstreaks, or at get lucky enough to hit something like a five killstreak reward and stay alive as you advance up the killstreaks. I like using them, but the whole "stay alive at all costs" mentality just isn't conducive to entertainment being derived from the game.

Ape Gone Insane
November 8. Yeah, there's little point in getting it now. I jumped on the Black Ops bandwagon a little late too (university and general disinterest in gaming) and the only good thing about the game was the Zombie mode.

I thought the Campaign was decent enough. A good plotline, imo.

Ape Gone Insane
I like when they really push boundaries. Have you seen the facial animations in L.A. Noire? Bloody fantastic. Modern Warfare 3 looks like a rehash of MW2 where as Battlefield 3 looks pretty sexy aesthetically.

I've heard great things about them; I'd like to see the game in action. COD's becoming more and more a case of milking the cash cow at all costs.

Ape Gone Insane
And they killed it [Kraken] off-screen with no reason being given to why and a later scene with Jack looking over its corpse. What a way to go. Just like Cyclops in X-Men 3. The whole deal with Calypso made little to no sense. They spend the entire film hyping her up and what does she do? Cause a storm? :facepalm2:

I thought it died because he'd stabbed in the mouth? Quite how a puny little sword would kill something that size is beyond me though. :hmmm2: The franchise is good at hyping things up, only to have them fizzle out against the cast. Take the Kraken. At the beginning of a film, an admittedly relatively small, boat just disappears beneath the waves. That's it. Yet the ship with Jack Sparrow and whatever-Orlando-Bloom's-character-was took about fifteen minutes of screen time to be taken down into the water, agonisingly slowly.

Ape Gone Insane
Your girlfriend a fan of Captain Jack Sparrow? :awesome:

A fan of Johnny Depp in general, really. I'm fine with that though; at least he can act so his films are watchable.

Ape Gone Insane
Yeah, the villains are always degraded to laughable characters. Voodoo made no sense. :colonhash:

Not so much spoilers to anyone else reading: they threw the doll off a cliff and into the water below. Logically, Jack should have been hurt by the fall and died due to drowning. He screamed a bit and that was it.

You're forgetting the golden rule of POTC: anything that kills thousands of people, is legendary for how fearsome and devastating it is: Blackbeard's magic, Calypso, the Kraken, the crew of the Black Pearl, is only able to slightly scare and inconvenience Jack Sparrow.

Ape Gone Insane
As soon as I read 'said destination' Sparrow's voice kicked in. Those are the words he typically uses. :teehee:

Deliberately. :plz2:

Ape Gone Insane
This doesn't make you feel any better about the future:

They've already filmed the fifth, apparently, and there's talk of a sixth. :sigh:

Of all the times I have received Please rate some other members before rating this member again these past few days, why now?

It's ok, you can save the praise for a more convenient time. :moon:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest