The Student Room Group

June 2011 G485-Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Ralphus J

Original post by Ralphus J
What does it mean by "describe the principles of ultrasound scanning"?? its on the specification sheet (OCR Physics A) under ultrasound (d). Please reply as soon as possible :smile:

Thanks

These are the bullet points I'm remembering for that:

- frequency of 20000Hz
- non-ionising
- distinguishes muscle and blood
- high intensities can be destructive
Reply 201
c4 on monday followed by this on tuesday. FML.
Reply 202
Original post by Roar.

Original post by Roar.

I feel for you.
Reply 203
Original post by Roar.

me too :frown:
plus fp1 on wednesday and chem unit 5 on friday
AWFUL WEEK
Reply 204
Original post by jam.wa
There is SO MUCH PHYSICS!
Dream question:

'Fail to calculate this really difficult capacitor question'

I HATE capacitors more than anything.

Ahhh I could get full marks and then some in that! :P
Reply 205
Original post by Roar.

Further Pure 2 on Monday followed by this...
Then Mechanics 2 and Statistics 2 on Wednesday.

OCR has definitely screwed me over.
Original post by jam.wa
Yeah, I've done every paper I can get my hands on. Don't you find you can't do some? On some of the Health/Cosmology ones, I'm getting max 2 out of 7 questions that I can do with my knowledge of the current syllabus.

Yeah I thought it was just me. It's a complete change in specification.
Original post by jam.wa
These are the bullet points I'm remembering for that:

- frequency of 20000Hz
- non-ionising
- distinguishes muscle and blood
- high intensities can be destructive

+1

The only thing I'd add to that is that Ultrasound is a longitudinal wave rather than a transverse wave.
Reply 208
Original post by Acta Non Verba

+1

The only thing I'd add to that is that Ultrasound is a longitudinal wave rather than a transverse wave.

It's quite easy to forget that one. AS seems so long ago.
Original post by jam.wa
It's quite easy to forget that one. AS seems so long ago.

True dat. Your points are better, but sometimes you can get marks for really basic stuff so it's worth having in there.

On a completely unrelated note:

I was having LOADS of trouble with Lenz's law, someone explained it to me like this and it helped a lot:

During electromagnetic induction you're inducing a current. Using the right hand rule you can find out the direction of said current. Make note of the direction of your thumb, which shows force.
However, we know that the flow of current also produces a magnetic field. If you now use your left hand you'll find that the magnetic field produced by this induced current provides a force in the opposite direction to the original magnetic field we associated with the electromagnetic induction. Thus, the current 'moves in such a way as to oppose the flux change that caused it.'
Reply 210

True dat. Your points are better, but sometimes you can get marks for really basic stuff so it's worth having in there.

On a completely unrelated note:

I was having LOADS of trouble with Lenz's law, someone explained it to me like this and it helped a lot:

During electromagnetic induction you're inducing a current. Using the right hand rule you can find out the direction of said current. Make note of the direction of your thumb, which shows force.
However, we know that the flow of current also produces a magnetic field. If you now use your left hand you'll find that the magnetic field produced by this induced current provides a force in the opposite direction to the original magnetic field we associated with the electromagnetic induction. Thus, the current 'moves in such a way as to oppose the flux change that caused it.'

NO, this is an unrelated note:

Yes.
I bet Faraday was fuming when Lenz came along and bagged himself a law.
All Lenz did was put a minus sign infront of FARADAY'S equation!
And now the equation belongs to both of them.
Bloody Lenz!!!!
Electromanetic induction is probably the worst thing that has happened to me :frown:
Reply 212
Can someone explain this question, its from the cgp book page 65, question 2b

The time base on a CRO was set to be 50x10-6 s cm-1. Reflected pulses from either side of a fetal head are 2.4cm apart on the screen. Calculate the diameter of the head if the ultrasound travels at 1.5 kms-1.

Thanks...its 4 marks btw.
Reply 213
How many marks is the paper out of? Is it 150?
Original post by M_I

The time base on a CRO was set to be 50x10-6 s cm-1. Reflected pulses from either side of a fetal head are 2.4cm apart on the screen. Calculate the diameter of the head if the ultrasound travels at 1.5 kms-1.

I couldnt do that one, I find them hard to do unless its a show that.

Original post by Roar.

Original post by Roar.

the actual paper is out of 100, but the results are converted into ums; which are out of 150 :smile:
Reply 216

Original post by M_I

time base - 50x10-6 s cm-1, pulse width - 2.4cm, ultrasound speed - 1.5 kms-1

- Work out the time difference between receiving pulse from the front of the head, and the back of the head first:

2.4 x 50x10-6 s cm-1 = 1.2 x 10-4 s

- Work out the difference in distance the echo has had to travel:

distance = speed x time; 1.5 x 10^3 x 1.2 x 10-4 = 0.18m

- Because this is the distance covered by the echo going to the back and then coming to the front again it's half this distance:

0.18/2 = 0.09m
Reply 217
Out of interest, does anyone know the grade boundaries for the June 2010 paper and the Feb 2011 paper?
Original post by Daave92
Out of interest, does anyone know the grade boundaries for the June 2010 paper and the Feb 2011 paper?

66 and 65 for an A.
Reply 219
Original post by jam.wa
Dream question:

'Fail to calculate this really difficult capacitor question'

I HATE capacitors more than anything.

:confused:

I'd like lots of marks on capacitors and nuclear/atomic stuff. Zero on health and electromagnetism would be :sogood:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending