The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4480
Is it true that Bham now are looking for A*AA - AAA?? I saw it on UCAS and was a bit shocked??
Original post by aqua05
Ohh sorry to hear about that.. well you can look around which uni look less into GCSEs & then apply.. but i'm sure if you meet their requirements then you should get in as well..

do you think that in november/decemebr i should resit my gcse maths and ICT to try an get A?
Reply 4482
Did anyone get the chance to go to the Manchester open day? I didn't :frown:
I'd appreciate it, if someone told me what happened :h:
Original post by sablarrr

nope, but manchester does pbl - what are your views on it?:smile:

mark my essay pleaseee

Science is a great and glorious enterprise--the most successful, I argue, that human beings have ever engaged in. To reproach it for its inability to answer all the questions we should like to put to it is no more sensible than to reproach a railway locomotive for not flying or, in general, not performing any operation for which it was not designed.
(The Limits of Science, Peter Medawar)

Write a unified essay in which you address the following:
What do you understand by the statement above? Explain why it might be argued that science should be expected to answer all the questions that are put to it. Discuss, giving examples, the extent to which science has limits.

The statement seems to imply that science can explain things which can be tested and tried. It further assumes that for questions science seems not to be able to propose an answer, it is not because of a flaw in the scientific method, but rather, a flaw in what we put to science. If our questions are illogical, we can not expect a logical answer from an illogical question.
An example of an illogical question can be “how can you make a car travel faster than light”. Clearly, light achieves this speed due to it’s near no mass. A car has mass, so producing such a question and not obtaining a scientific answer is not the fault of science, but on the question proposed.
We expect science to be able to explain to us how the universe works. To understand why, it is important to fully understand what the scientific method is. Primarily, science is an explanation which is tested and tried through experiment, which may be replicated. It explains what we otherwise can not explain by ourselves. As a result, we assume that any mechanism in our universe should be able to have some form of explanation as to how it has come about or works, because in order to find this out, it logically follows that the scientific method needs to be utilised.
The flaw with assuming that the scientific method can explain every mechanism in the universe, is that there are many things that science can not explain. For instance, science does explain that the big bang originated the universe; however, it can not explain how mater can exist in the first place. Theories have been put forward to explain this phenomenon; however, no plausible scientific evidence can answer it. This is primarily because no-one was there before the universe existed (no physical life form) to document what happened.
Science can sometimes provide explanations (though not always as I have explained), but can not produce solutions. Cancer currently has no indefinite cure. We understand that is due to the abnormal division of cells which can cause the spread of these cells, thus harming the organism by interference of the organs.
As a result of logical scientific queries that science can not answer, and sometimes not be able to provide a solution to, we can assume science does not always provide answers. As a consequence, it is not only when an illogical question is asked at science. It may be argued that eventually science may have an answer, but due to questions about the origin of the universe, it is difficult to find an answer because scientific method can not be implanted.
Reply 4484
Original post by aqua05
Where are you planning to apply ? I'm really not sure about where to apply as my GCSEs are not all that.. got 3A*s 5As & 1B..where do you think i should apply ?

try looking on different universities websites and see how they use GCSEs. I got 4A*s 4As and 2Bs so im in a similar boat :/

manchester said you only need 5 A/A*s so you'd be fine there, but when i went to leicester they said they would use your gcses and your ukcat combined to narrow down applicants so i don't knw about that one.

try looking here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements :smile:
Reply 4485

i went today :smile:
there was a talk where a man told us about what it takes to be a good doctor etc and what it will involve, and then a lady told us about the admissions (5 A grade GCSEs minimum, mini interviews, etc) and then the parents were taken away to a different lecture theatre to have a separate talk for some reason and we were told about the structure of the course, explained in more detail about pbl, and then there was a q&a with the student panel.. if you've been to any other medicine talk anywhere else you will know everything i heard today already really!
the only interesting new thing i found out is they are renovating the whole of the stopford building (the medical school) over the summer and it will be lovely and new when we go and also they are redoing the student's union and stuff :smile:
Reply 4486
Original post by Ronnylover
do you think that in november/decemebr i should resit my gcse maths and ICT to try an get A?

Well, its really up to you, honestly. Check out the unis you planning to apply & see if they accepting re-sitting GCSE applicants.
If, they say yes - i'm sure you will make it to an A* as GCSE is waay easier than AS or A2 & work hard :smile: Goood Luck:biggrin:
Reply 4487
Original post by lolo-x
try looking on different universities websites and see how they use GCSEs. I got 4A*s 4As and 2Bs so im in a similar boat :/

manchester said you only need 5 A/A*s so you'd be fine there, but when i went to leicester they said they would use your gcses and your ukcat combined to narrow down applicants so i don't knw about that one.

try looking here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements :smile:

i didnt expect leicester to use GCSE :eek:
Well, where are you planning to apply ?
Reply 4488
Original post by aqua05
i didnt expect leicester to use GCSE :eek:
Well, where are you planning to apply ?

yeah i really want to go there! but just gotta get a really good ukcat score
umm im thinking leicester, manchester, nottingham, and then i dont know.i like the look of kings college london. wht about you?
So I got an E in my AS general studies, and after the A2 exam, I'll probably get a U, lol, but should that really affect my chances of getting into medicine next yr, especially since I feel as if I have done well in my exams so far, and if I get 3 A's or above? Because I still have one more general studies exam, and thats before my Biology exam on wed, so I feel as if its a waste of time :/
Original post by The_Tarin
So I got an E in my AS general studies, and after the A2 exam, I'll probably get a U, lol, but should that really affect my chances of getting into medicine next yr, especially since I feel as if I have done well in my exams so far, and if I get 3 A's or above? Because I still have one more general studies exam, and thats before my Biology exam on wed, so I feel as if its a waste of time :/

General studies is usually not accepted by universities so your safe. It is a pretty useless a-level if you ask me.
Reply 4491
Original post by lolo-x
yeah i really want to go there! but just gotta get a really good ukcat score
umm im thinking leicester, manchester, nottingham, and then i dont know.i like the look of kings college london. wht about you?

Oooohh :cool: Nicee ! i want to go kings like soo badly.. i just hope i get in it.Heard they dont take many international students.. grrr..
I'm planning kings, queens mary, leicester, & manchester.
Original post by aqua05
Oooohh :cool: Nicee ! i want to go kings like soo badly.. i just hope i get in it.Heard they dont take many international students.. grrr..
I'm planning kings, queens mary, leicester, & manchester.

awsome

i'm planning on kings if i get a good UKCAT

other than that, if i get predicted A*AA (unlikely) , i will apply to imperial anyway

and also leicster, nottingham, and maybe another university?
Original post by Limitless
General studies is usually not accepted by universities so your safe. It is a pretty useless a-level if you ask me.

guys...

is it only me that feels ... bored?

i'm doing ukcat ect, but i feel like just reading up on common medical ailments, or diseases...
Original post by im no superman
guys...

is it only me that feels ... bored?

i'm doing ukcat ect, but i feel like just reading up on common medical ailments, or diseases...

I'm busy wasting time doing nothing let me be. :colondollar::cool:

I'm busy wasting time doing nothing let me be. :colondollar::cool:

i've done nothing much at all to be honest...

without w/e i can do virtually NOTHING.

but i am going to start, by reading on medical ilnesses, because it's fun!

want to have a debate?(medical ethics?)
Reply 4496
How do you find out what type of learning each Medicine course involves eg. PBL? Is it on the UCAS website??
Original post by t_star
How do you find out what type of learning each Medicine course involves eg. PBL? Is it on the UCAS website??

They are usually in the prospectuses and the universities websites, and if you still can't find it then you could try asking people on here.
Reply 4498
Original post by lolo-x
i went today :smile:
there was a talk where a man told us about what it takes to be a good doctor etc and what it will involve, and then a lady told us about the admissions (5 A grade GCSEs minimum, mini interviews, etc) and then the parents were taken away to a different lecture theatre to have a separate talk for some reason and we were told about the structure of the course, explained in more detail about pbl, and then there was a q&a with the student panel.. if you've been to any other medicine talk anywhere else you will know everything i heard today already really!
the only interesting new thing i found out is they are renovating the whole of the stopford building (the medical school) over the summer and it will be lovely and new when we go and also they are redoing the student's union and stuff :smile:

Thanks :smile: I'm guessing that you're applying to manc then?
Reply 4499
Thanks :smile: I'm guessing that you're applying to manc then?

I think I am now yeah :smile: I wasn't planning to but now I've been there I quite like it, alhough the 67% student satisfaction on unistats is a bit worrying..

Latest

Trending

Trending