The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2000
thanx for those questions.. and plz post if anyone has any questions on case study
What do people suggest we revise for in terms of the scientific article, almost completely forgot about it!!! Now I'm freaking out because I have no notes on it and it all just sounds foreign to me! HELP!
Original post by voices1

Original post by voices1
two types Pf and Pfr.
Pf absorbs red light and is converted into pfr
pfr absorbs far red light and forms pr

in long winters-plenty of darkness so large amount of pfr is converted into pr
summer not enough time nor darkness for pfr to be convereted into pf as not nuf of far red light is absorbed due to lack of darkness

long day plnts only flower when the exceed critical value and when the have a period of darkness less than 12 hours
so these pfr so less than 12 means less darkness so more red light so more pfr converted into pfr stimulate flowering

short day plnts
only flowe when the have more than 12 hours of darkness so these need pf so by having more darkness more pfr absorbs far red light and forms pf which is used for flowering

rushed kinda revisin article

What are you revising for the article?
Reply 2003
Original post by Student-Distressed
What are you revising for the article?

im acutally revisin key concept gene therapy, epo, ifg-1, etc etc
im actually revising answers to questions that may come up. from there onwards linking certain aspects of the article becomes much more easier.

i'm sure in previsous posts there are word documents about the articlle.
Original post by voices1

Original post by voices1
im acutally revisin key concept gene therapy, epo, ifg-1, etc etc
im actually revising answers to questions that may come up. from there onwards linking certain aspects of the article becomes much more easier.

i'm sure in previsous posts there are word documents about the articlle.

What actually is ifg-1 is it just a random protein or are we meant to know about it in depth?
Reply 2005
IGF-1 is a protein made in the liver stimulated by the human growth hormone and it is used for cell growth particularly in the muscles. Used to increase size, strenght and effieiceny of muslces.
exist in five forms- MGF.
These forms are made as result of splicing mrna transcibed from dna- this pre mrna. this contains sections introns that dnt code for proteins these are removed. however some exons are also removed that code for mrna slightly differently from the original MRNA, so different amino acids, producin variations of IGF-1 protein.
Original post by voices1

Original post by voices1
IGF-1 is a protein made in the liver stimulated by the human growth hormone and it is used for cell growth particularly in the muscles. Used to increase size, strenght and effieiceny of muslces.
exist in five forms- MGF.
These forms are made as result of splicing mrna transcibed from dna- this pre mrna. this contains sections introns that dnt code for proteins these are removed. however some exons are also removed that code for mrna slightly differently from the original MRNA, so different amino acids, producin variations of IGF-1 protein.

Thanks that's really helpful :smile:
Original post by memomemootoo

Original post by memomemootoo
CT:
-uses X-rays
-produces cross-section images of the brain
-different densities of tissue absorb different amounts of radiation and show up as different colours
-shows major structures in the brain without much detail
-used to tell the extent of an abnormality and its location in the brain
-loss of a function may be associated with the abnormality seen

MRI:
-uses radio waves
-cross-section images
-tissues seen in much more detail
-extent of abnormality and location
-loss of a function may be associated with the abnormality seen

fMRI:
-like MRI but show changes in brain activity as they happen
-more oxygenated blood flows to active brain areas, these areas show up in a different colour
-identify parts of the brain associated with a function whilst it is performed in the scanner
-study diseases caused by abnormal brain activity rather than structure

:awesome: CGP

Thanks a million!!!
Reply 2008
going og different sub sections of the article-making summary of each and then including the key biological stuff.
What do we need to know about critical window. nature and nuture and Habituation(I know already)? The green book ann fullick just talk rubbish about it and the CGP dont mention anything about it.
Reply 2010
Original post by darkiee
What do we need to know about critical window. nature and nuture and Habituation(I know already)? The green book ann fullick just talk rubbish about it and the CGP dont mention anything about it.

there's quite alot about those 3 things in the CGP book...
Reply 2011
Hi Everyone,

Mature, distant student here in need of a bit of help!! Can you guys just explain what it means by Unit 5 is Synoptic? Does it mean they can test you on any of the previous units, including AS? If so, is that just for the Article question, or for all of them?

Many thanks
Original post by darkiee

critical period:
- there is a time shortly after birth when an organism must receive enough stimulation in order for its brain to develop correctly e.g. in visual development if enough stimuli are not received during the critical period the synapses which are not used become destroyed and the visual cortex does not develop properly, permanently impairing vision... this has been supported using studies on newborn kittens with one eye being sewn up for several weeks after birth - the eye was no longer able to function properly and brain studies showed that the column cells associated with that eye have fewer synapses and are significantly smaller... observations of people born with cataracts have shown similar findings... however, in adults covering the eye makes no difference because their brain is already developed..

nature and nurture:
- studies on newborn babies to see which characteristics are nature (genes) as the babies have not yet been influenced by their environment very much (nurture)
- twin studies with siblings raised apart... identical genes but different environments... so any similarities between them may be due to genes and differences due to nurture
- cross-cultural studies... again similarities due to genes and differences due to nurture

habituation:
- allows organisms to ignore unimportant stimuli and save time and energy
- happens with increased exposure to the insignificant stimulus (reduced response each time)
- can be studied by poking turtles and snails and timing how long it takes for them to come back out...

:smile:
Original post by Meesta
there's quite alot about those 3 things in the CGP book...

yeah the CGP book does those quite well. Haven't looked at it for habituation but the nature-nurture debate and critical window stuff was done very nicely.
Reply 2014
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
yeah the CGP book does those quite well. Haven't looked at it for habituation but the nature-nurture debate and critical window stuff was done very nicely.

yup and habituation is summarised very well and the core practical is done in bullet points which is always good!
Original post by Meesta
yup and habituation is summarised very well and the core practical is done in bullet points which is always good!

You just reminded me I need to go over the core pracs lol. Cheers :biggrin:
Reply 2016
Original post by helly4149

Original post by helly4149
The main areas where I expect they'll bring up AS/unit 4 knowledge will be related to the scientific article, like the heart and things we learnt in unit 1, probably not in much detail, but quickly looking at the heart structure and a couple of other things like blood clotting, probably wouldn't hurt. As transcription factors comes up briefly in this topic, maybe also look back at that?

Methods of co-ordination, I think they're most likely to ask for differences between nervous system/ hormones in humans and plant growth factors. e.g.
- nervous response is faster because it uses electrical impulses but more localised
- hormones are a chemical response so slower as they travel in blood, but its more widespread throughout the body.
- plant growth factors are also chemical, but because plants don't have a circulatory system carrying blood, the chemicals (IAA etc.) move by diffusion, so the response is more localised to the area near where they are released.

Finally the ridiculous ethics stuff- you can probably make it up, but what they want are comments about insurance companies getting peoples genome and unfairly discriminating, and drug companies creating drugs for specific genetic variations, which will increase costs and mean that only rich people can afford it.

I'm not 100% about all of this but that's my best guess, hope it helps :smile:

Thank you :biggrin: that clears a lot up!
there's one final thing though, you wouldn't be able to describe how to get HR from an ECG for me could you? doing a pract. question and i have no idea how they got the answer once i looked it up in the mark scheme.
did any one made a summary from the article who can share it?
Notes for topic 8 done...
The layout of it is a bit messed up because my laptop broke so had to use my brother's netbook... long story short, the netbook is too small for me to see the layout of notes properly.
anyhoo here they are
http://www.4shared.com/document/rYvY5H9u/Unit_5_Biology_-_Topic_8.html
Reply 2019
Anyone got any notes they have uploaded? I found some the other day and now can't find them =/
Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending