The Student Room Group

Do you answer withheld/anonymous phone calls?

I usually ignore but recieved one today now I'm intrigued :P

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah. What's the worst that could happen? If I hear that it's a scam, or some sound board prank call thing I hang up straight away.
Why in the hell wouldn't you answer? It could be something important & you have the built in option to hang up if it's not, what's the worst that could happen?

And you should always answer withheld numbers. I work for a research company & our surveys are awesome & always relevant to you, but we withhold our number, so by ignoring such calls you could be missing out on one of our fantastic uber-surveys. And that will haunt you forever. So always answer withheld numbers.
This p****** me off so much! I do not understand why people do this!

Unless you have a hit on you/in debt to a man called "Big Dave" or just generally in danger, what is the worse that is going to happen?

I suggest you just grow the f*** up and answer the phone like a big girl!
Reply 4
If it's friday or saturday night then no.
Reply 5
Always. I work in a hospital and our number shows up as withheld. A lot of employers, agencies, etc use withheld numbers (quite a few interview offers I've had have come from withheld numbers!). If it's someone trying to sell me stuff I just tell them to **** off and put the phone down. It's hardly the end of the world and better than missing something important.
Reply 6
Yeah, they really can be rather amusing. Especially the prank calls from dominos you've heard one million times over.
yeah the last time i answered one i got offered my job :biggrin:
Reply 8
Unless I'm expecting a call from a place I know uses withheld numbers (GP, an agency, or whatever) I wouldn't answer it. I hate cold calling at the best of times, not even knowing where the call is coming from makes it even more of a nuisance.

Our landline blocks withheld numbers as well, makes life a lot easier. :smile:
Yes. It tends to be my mother!
Reply 10
Why not?

The police and other emergency service often withold their number. What would you do if your mother had been in a car accident and you squandered the chance to be at her side in hospital?
Original post by Bakmouth
Why not?

The police and other emergency service often withold their number. What would you do if your mother had been in a car accident and you squandered the chance to be at her side in hospital?

I recall the one time the emergency services called me it came up in big capital letters "999 EMERGENCY", rather than withheld.

Are you sure you're not thinking of hospitals etc., who do call anonymously.

Original post by Dez

Our landline blocks withheld numbers as well, makes life a lot easier. :smile:

Because there isn't a dialling code to evade anon call blocking. We only use it if the call has been requested, but there are a load of companies that will use it all the time, call blocking is crap tbh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
i do indeed, it's usually my mum anyway
Reply 13
No. I don't pick up the phone unless I'm expecting a call (and even then, I get someone to pick it up first).

... but a very strange boy from my year is madly in love with me despite having spoken to me only once in his life, and keeps sending me love letters and cold-calling me to proclaim his love, so that's why :rofl:
Reply 14
Original post by pamelaa
I usually ignore but recieved one today now I'm intrigued :P

I usually don't write my mobile number on forms or give it out to anyone other than family and friends. Because of this, when I get a withheld call I normally ignore it and if they ring again (within next 10 mins) I answer it because it could be my sister. I always follow the saying of "if it's important, they'll ring again" :colondollar:
Reply 15
If it's at 3am at night, then I'm 99% sure it's my friends prankcalling me.
Reply 16
Nope. If it says international, unknown or is an 08 I ignore, on the homephone at least. Mobile I am more inclined to answer as I give it out to only a few people.
Reply 17
Original post by davidcy147
This p****** me off so much! I do not understand why people do this!

Unless you have a hit on you/in debt to a man called "Big Dave" or just generally in danger, what is the worse that is going to happen?

I suggest you just grow the f*** up and answer the phone like a big girl!

I don't know, maybe spelling 'worst' correctly..
Yes. Verbally abusing telemarketers is a great way of relieving stress.
yes, because my home phone is blocked, and my parents get angry if i don't pick up, so i usually assume it's them. my work phone is also blocked, so it's usually either my parents or my boss.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending