The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by tehsponge
Agreed. I am completely overwhelmed by the A2 content. There is just so much of it. Its like memorising a dictionary.

But I'm sure I'll be begging for this much content after I get to uni. :tongue:

LOL uni is all content anyway - assuming if you are doing a science at degree level
Original post by User12399
46.76% of A2 so 23.38% of whole A Level, biggest of them all.

oh nooo.. :frown::frown:
Original post by Flux_Pav
LOL uni is all content anyway - assuming if you are doing a science at degree level

What do you mean?
Reply 783
its the same weighting as BIOL2 aint it? 140/600?
Reply 784
Original post by tehsponge
What do you mean?

the stuff you learn in uni - its more content and less application and definately less HSW
i am confused again :/
does adrenaline only bind to receptors on muscle cells and glucagon only to receptors on liver cells?

also, is it chloride or calcium ions that move into the post synaptic knob to cause hyperpolarisation in inhibitory synapses?

and finally, how does the refractory period ensure that a nerve impulse is propagated in one direction?
Original post by Flux_Pav
the stuff you learn in uni - its more content and less application and definately less HSW

Ah,well thats a relief :tongue: but it surely depends on the uni
WTF are sense and antisense strand? I'm doing some questions and a questions asks this.??

Never heard of them...
Reply 788
hey i was just planning an essay on the ' causes of variation' i came up with these topics

directional selection/ stabalising selection
natural selection
speciation
mutations
different repeating units/ introns
changes in amino acid sequences
gene expression
mitosis
meiosis

can anyone chek these to see if they apply and maybe add a few more
thanks
i hate this unit soooo much!!!
Reply 790
It's not ****ing humanly possible to revise AS and A2 in the the kind of depth and detail that they seem to be requiring from look at the old spec synoptic essays, let alone write a coherent essay in about half an hour taking away fifteen for planning. If I'd been told I would have to write an essay I wouldn't have bloody picked Biology. Somebody please tell me that in our spec we don't have to know everything to that ridiculous amount of detail.
Reply 791
WTF are sense and antisense strand? I'm doing some questions and a questions asks this.??

The sense strand is the one that's 'read' and codes for a gene. The antisense strand is the complementary strand.

mRNA is complementary to the sense strand :smile:

i have a way of remembering this (its awful but who cares:biggrin:):

sense = normal DNA strand (the one that makes sense

non-sense = copied pre-mrna strand (its nonsense our body can do this)
Original post by ben10
hey i was just planning an essay on the ' causes of variation' i came up with these topics

directional selection/ stabalising selection
natural selection
speciation
mutations
different repeating units/ introns
changes in amino acid sequences
gene expression
mitosis
meiosis

can anyone chek these to see if they apply and maybe add a few more
thanks

Is the title on genetic variation or more general?
If the title is on just 'variation' I would put in some stuff about how the environment affects phenotype- i.e. modification :smile:
Reply 794
Original post by student777
Is the title on genetic variation or more general?
If the title is on just 'variation' I would put in some stuff about how the environment affects phenotype- i.e. modification :smile:

what do you mean by modification
yes it is just generally in variation
could i put in stuff about variation in heamoglobin , carbs etc?
Original post by ben10
what do you mean by modification
yes it is just generally in variation
could i put in stuff about variation in heamoglobin , carbs etc?

Modification is a change to the phenotype, it is not inherited.
You couldd use haemoglobin etc as examples to show selection and variation. But make sure you do it in A2 detail! :smile:
this is ****ing killing me! soooooooo much to revise! how the hell am i supposed to remember AS as well!
Reply 797
this is ****ing killing me! soooooooo much to revise! how the hell am i supposed to remember AS as well!

how far have you got with remembering AS stuff!
i have maths too on monday!
sucks! :mad:
Original post by choc1234
how far have you got with remembering AS stuff!
i have maths too on monday!
sucks! :mad:

not very far. i resat bio4, so i can remember that very easily. bio1 and bio2, i read and forget. :frown:

I have maths as well! C4! But last maths one at 9. Can't wait till that's over!
Hey can anyone answer this question for me?
The Nelson Thornes textbook states on P143 that when organisms display kinesis, the more unpleasant the stimulus the more rapidly they move and the more rapidly they change direction. However in the CGP guide, it says that the more unpleasant the stimulus the more rapidly they move and the slower they change direction. They contradict! So which is correct?

I feel more included to trust the endorsed textbook, however the CGP book seems to make more logical sense. So according to CGP: in nice conditions they change direction a lot, so essentially they stay in the ideal area, and in horrible conditions they move in a straight line, so they would leave the nasty area quicker.

And the textbook reckons when in a nice place they dont change direction much, and in unpleasant areas they change direction more rapidly. Hmmm.

Please help?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending