The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Queen's University, Belfast 2011 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Jellytots122
hmm I don't know :frown: hard descision for me
living in elms would be so fun, but still... I'd rather you were allowed to apply for just a term instead of a year - would they let me?
I think i'll live at home and use the money to buy a car instead, its more convinent, then maybe the second year I could live in private accommodation. Can use your loan to do that, or do you have to give it back if you decide to not live in accommodation anymore?

Email or call someone in accommodation would be best to ask that..
I am thinking you'll lose your deposit since they have one room gathering dust for 2 terms :colondollar:

Second year, most people go into a private accommodation in most places. It would hopefully be cheaper than elms..

Come join us for the social life! :biggrin:
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Original post by ChoYunEL
Second year, most people go into a private accommodation in most places. It would hopefully be cheaper than elms..

Thing you have to remember is that Elms isn't just your roof..... It's heating, electric, internet connection, even partial cleaning (communial areas only)

You rent privately and you have to pay all those things for yourself, and I'm pretty sure you won't have someone coming in to clean your living room and kitchen for you!
Reply 202
Original post by wordjunkie
I think I remember them saying they wouldn't when they gave a talk at our school last year. :/

Is ABC less ucas points than BBB???
Original post by Kez1983

I don't know but it doesn't matter for getting into Queens because apparently they don't work by the UCAS point system, just grades.
Original post by Kez1983

Queen's don't accept applicants on the basis of UCAS points, unfortunately. I believe they accept strictly on the grounds of grades.

I have a conditional offer for ABB. I am guaranteed AA, but I completely messed up an exam on Wednesday with my maximum mark getting me a D. I wasn't fast enough at writing (Hand was killing me), so I only had 10 minutes to do a 33 mark essay - I just got basic points down.

So yeah, because of that I will not be getting a B; thus no Queen's/University for me. Was so upset when I came home after that exam. It's crazy how much one exam within the space of an hour and a half can ultimately change/ruin your life :frown:
Reply 205
Original post by Irishmonkey1992
Queen's don't accept applicants on the basis of UCAS points, unfortunately. I believe they accept strictly on the grounds of grades.

I have a conditional offer for ABB. I am guaranteed AA, but I completely messed up an exam on Wednesday with my maximum mark getting me a D. I wasn't fast enough at writing (Hand was killing me), so I only had 10 minutes to do a 33 mark essay - I just got basic points down.

So yeah, because of that I will not be getting a B; thus no Queen's/University for me. Was so upset when I came home after that exam. It's crazy how much one exam within the space of an hour and a half can ultimately change/ruin your life :frown:

Are u sure u def won't get the grades!!! I was convinced I'd have to do a resit on my science exam I walked out so angry at myself for forgetting loads but walked away with 91% so fingers crossed u have passed! I'm going to coleraine in sept to do nursing yet to speak to anyone else going yet :-(
Original post by Kez1983
Are u sure u def won't get the grades!!! I was convinced I'd have to do a resit on my science exam I walked out so angry at myself for forgetting loads but walked away with 91% so fingers crossed u have passed! I'm going to coleraine in sept to do nursing yet to speak to anyone else going yet :-(

Yeah absolutely sure :/ It is impossible for 29 raw marks (the maximum that I could get for what I had written, could be lower if I got stuff wrong) to be anything higher than a D. So yeah, don't know if clearing would be for me - Had me heart set on Queen's for years. I guess I'll just get a job or something....
Original post by Irishmonkey1992

Actually Queens are not as cut and dry as they make out. I needed to have 80s across all of my access course, and dropped one module which wasn't the 80+ that they asked for, wasn't even a close 79 either, and I was still accepted. Don't give it all up as lost just yet. They MAY be willing to give you a place still going on your reference, your other grades and your subject choice etc.

Just wait and see what your grades are, and what Queens actually have to say about it come August.
Original post by leannemaxdot
Actually Queens are not as cut and dry as they make out. I needed to have 80s across all of my access course, and dropped one module which wasn't the 80+ that they asked for, wasn't even a close 79 either, and I was still accepted. Don't give it all up as lost just yet. They MAY be willing to give you a place still going on your reference, your other grades and your subject choice etc.

Just wait and see what your grades are, and what Queens actually have to say about it come August.

Wow! That is really uplifting to hear that about our own experience. I feel abit better now, thank you :smile:
Reply 209

That's reallly good to hear - lets hope we don't need to test it though hahah! Thanks for posting that :smile:
Actually Queens are not as cut and dry as they make out. I needed to have 80s across all of my access course, and dropped one module which wasn't the 80+ that they asked for, wasn't even a close 79 either, and I was still accepted.

According to the queens prospectus & their website, they ask you to achieve an average, they don't say it has to be met for each module. Nobody in my access class has been given an offer stating they need to hit the %age required in each module.
Original post by rocket0612
According to the queens prospectus & their website, they ask you to achieve an average, they don't say it has to be met for each module. Nobody in my access class has been given an offer stating they need to hit the %age required in each module.

Well my offer from Queens required an 80%+ average AND an 80%+ in ALL of my Maths modules... Everyone got that as their conditional offer on my Access Course, but you know, requirements change every year!

I had a long summer waiting last year if it was good enough to get in with my 96, 87, 86, 82 and 76. I'm very glad that they did let me in, because the Maths & Physics School is great and the staff are lovely!
Well my offer from Queens required an 80%+ average AND an 80%+ in ALL of my Maths modules... Everyone got that as their conditional offer on my Access Course, but you know, requirements change every year!

I had a long summer waiting last year if it was good enough to get in with my 96, 87, 86, 82 and 76. I'm very glad that they did let me in, because the Maths & Physics School is great and the staff are lovely!

96!! some score, well done!
Reply 213
Anyone else finding the £300 deposit difficult to gather together for accomodation?
Reply 214
Original post by ccasem11
Anyone else finding the £300 deposit difficult to gather together for accomodation?

The bank of my parent's :redface:
I hope..
Original post by emzaz
That's reallly good to hear - lets hope we don't need to test it though hahah! Thanks for posting that :smile:

Sorry Emzaz but for medicine there's no lee-way given.. if you miss the grades by 1% you don't get in.. its because they reject so many people every year who do go on to get the grades
Reply 216
Original post by ChoYunEL
The bank of my parent's :redface:
I hope..

I don't know how I'm going to raise it :/
It's pretty annoying having to find money for a uni I'm not sure I'll be going to... even though it's refundable

It has to be in before 1st August?
Reply 217
Original post by ccasem11
I don't know how I'm going to raise it :/
It's pretty annoying having to find money for a uni I'm not sure I'll be going to... even though it's refundable

It has to be in before 1st August?

If you have to find money, I would email them you situation. They might reply with something useful. You never know.

I found out that insurance people, if they apply for accommodation and get their firm, they're fully refunded.
Original post by rocket0612
96!! some score, well done!

Cheers :smile: That was the computing module
Reply 219
Original post by streetspirit
Sorry Emzaz but for medicine there's no lee-way given.. if you miss the grades by 1% you don't get in.. its because they reject so many people every year who do go on to get the grades

Shhh! Don't remind me lol! >_< Let me be! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending