The Student Room Group

June 2011 G485-Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Balls to that, I cant remember doing that and its not in my revision guide.

One of my physics teacher hated the idea of Left and Right hands and he only used Left. :redface:
Reply 261
How do you know wen to use left hand rule and right hand rule?
Reply 262
Does the magnetic field of proton go from S to N???

Page 66, CGP.
Reply 263
Original post by M_I

Page 66, CGP.

The field is uniformly attractive, basically if you are drawing it it has inny lines all around it evenly spaced.
Reply 264
Original post by jam.wa
Good to see a Curb fan by the way.

You too :five: I started from the beginning about ten days ago in anticipation of the next season. Intended to watch about two episodes a day, so I'd finish around the time of the season premiere, but watched nine on the first day :blush: Got four episodes left now
Reply 265
Well, 2 days to go, and honestly, Im bricking it. x_x

Its not so much the writing explaining any more, i can describe half of the things it asks, but the second an equation appears or a calculation... Failure appears in big red letters across the wall in front of me.
In Jan 07 MS the question is 3 marks but the MS is layed out like this:

Point 1 [1]
Either
Point 2 [1]
Or
Point 3 [1]

If the question is three marks surely you would have to write all three point and not just choose between two of those?
Reply 267
Original post by Terror
Well, 2 days to go, and honestly, Im bricking it. x_x

Its not so much the writing explaining any more, i can describe half of the things it asks, but the second an equation appears or a calculation... Failure appears in big red letters across the wall in front of me.

I am the opposite, I have all the calculations down but if too many of the big wordy questions pop up I am screwed. I also hope they accept definitions in equation form otherwise I may be in need of a paddel.
Reply 268
Original post by CoffeeStinks

In Jan 07 MS the question is 3 marks but the MS is layed out like this:

Point 1 [1]
Either
Point 2 [1]
Or
Point 3 [1]

If the question is three marks surely you would have to write all three point and not just choose between two of those?

Sometimes they change the number of marks allocated to questions but adds up to 100 again I think. I've seen it done before but it was stated on the MS that they did that, so I'm not entirely sure about this one.
Reply 269

Original post by Gawd
The field is uniformly attractive, basically if you are drawing it it has inny lines all around it evenly spaced.

I'm sorry, I don't get it, like most of the stuff.
Original post by Gawd
I am the opposite, I have all the calculations down but if too many of the big wordy questions pop up I am screwed. I also hope they accept definitions in equation form otherwise I may be in need of a paddel.

I hope they accept equations too. I think as long as you state what each term means you'll still get the marks.
Reply 271
Original post by M_I
I'm sorry, I don't get it, like most of the stuff.

Sorry, I read Electric field. I didn't think proton had magnetic field.
Reply 272
I hope they accept equations too. I think as long as you state what each term means you'll still get the marks.

Hopefully, since if they ask anything about Faraday's Law all I am writing is E=-N(do/dt) and thats all the stateing they are getting :wink:
Reply 273
They do accept equations, AS LONG AS:
You define the terms, if you dont, they cant give you the marks, because you could technically just look in the book and go "Oh! i remember those symbols".
Stupid really, we will NEVER. have to use half of this ever again...
Reply 274
Original post by Gawd
Sorry, I read Electric field. I didn't think proton had magnetic field.

Yeah, they do I think, its caused by spin or something. If you have the book, its got a picture in the 4th paragraph.
Reply 275
I suppose I should probably define each term then. I hate doing that, they are mrking my work they should know what the terms mean :mad:
Reply 276
[INDENT]Chapter 8 Electric Fields
Objectives (from Spec)

5.1.1 (a) (a) state that electric fields are created by electric charges;
5.1.1 (b) (b) define electric field strength as force per unit positive charge;
5.1.1 (c) (c) describe how electric field lines represent an electric field;
5.1.1 (d) (d) select and use Coulomb’s law in the form F=Qq/(4??0r2)
5.1.1 (e) (e) select and apply F=Q/(4??0r2) for the electric field strength of a point charge;
5.1.1 (f) (f) select and use E=V/d for the magnitude of the uniform electric field strength between charged parallel plates;
5.1.1 (g) (g) explain the effect of a uniform electric field on the motion of charged particles;
5.1.1 (h) (h) describe the similarities and differences between the gravitational fields of point masses and the electric fields of point charges.

Chapter 9 Magnetic Fields

Objectives (from Spec)

5.1.2 (a) –(a) describe the magnetic field patterns of a long straight current carrying conductor and a long solenoid;
5.1.2 (b) –(b) state and use Fleming’s left-hand rule to determine the force on current conductor placed at right angles to a magnetic field;
5.1.2 (c) (c) select and use the equations F = BIL and F = BIL sin?;
5.1.2 (d) –(d) define magnetic flux density and the tesla ;
5.1.2 (e) (e) select and use the equation F = BQv for the force on a charged particle travelling at right angles to a uniform magnetic field;
5.1.2 (f) –(f) analyse the circular orbits of charged particles moving in a plane perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field by relating the magnetic force to the centripetal acceleration it causes;
5.1.2 (g) –(g) analyse the motion of charged particles in both electric and magnetic fields;
5.1.2 (h) –(h) explain the use of deflection of charged particles in the magnetic and electric fields of a mass spectrometer (HSW 6a)..

Chapter 10 Electromagnetic Induction

Objectives (from Spec)

5.1.3 (a) (a) define magnetic flux ;
5.1.3 (b) (b) define the weber .
5.1.3 (c) (c) select and use the equation for magnetic flux ?=BA cos?;
5.1.3 (d) (d) define magnetic flux linkage ;
5.1.3 (e) (e) state and use Faraday’s law of electromagnetic induction;
5.1.3 (f) (f) state and use Lenz’s law;
5.1.3 (g) (g) select and use the equation: induced e.m.f. = –(rate of change of magnetic flux linkage);
5.1.3 (h) (h) describe the function of a simple ac generator;
5.1.3 (i) (i) describe the function of a simple transformer;
5.1.3 (j) (j) select and use the turns-ratio equation for a transformer;
5.1.3 (k) (k) describe the function of step-up and step-down transformers.

Chapter 11 Capacitors
Objectives (from Spec)

5.2.1 (a) (a) define capacitance and the farad ;
5.2.1 (b) (b) select and use the equation Q = VC ;
5.2.1 (c) (c) state and use the equation for the total capacitance of two or more capacitors in series;
5.2.1 (d) (d) state and use the equation for the total capacitance of two or more capacitors in parallel;
5.2.1 (e) (e) solve circuit problems with capacitors involving series and parallel circuits;
5.2.1 (f) (f) explain that the area under a potential difference against charge graph is equal to energy stored by a capacitor;
5.2.1 (g) (g) select and use the equations W=1/2QV and W=1/2CV2 for a charged capacitor;
5.2.1 (h) (h) sketch graphs that show the variation with time of potential difference, charge and current for a capacitor discharging through a resistor;
5.2.1 (i) (i) define the time constant of a circuit;
5.2.1 (j) (j) select and use time constant = CR;
5.2.1 (k) (k) analyse the discharge of capacitor using equations of the form x=x0e-(t/CR);
5.2.1 (l) (l) explain exponential decays as having a constant-ratio property;
5.2.1 (m) (m) describe the uses of capacitors for the storage of energy in applications such as flash photography, lasers used in nuclear fusion and as back-up power supplies for computers

Chapter 12 Atomic Structure

Objectives (from Spec)

5.3.1 (a) (a) describe qualitatively the alpha-particle scattering experiment and the evidence this provides for the existence, charge and small size of the nucleus;
5.3.1 (b) –(b) describe the basic atomic structure of the atom and the relative sizes of the atom and the nucleus;
5.3.1 (c) (c) select and use Coulomb’s law to determine the force of repulsion, and Newton’s law of gravitation to determine the force of attraction, between two protons at nuclear separations and hence the need for a short range, attractive force between nucleons;
5.3.1 (d) (d) describe how the strong nuclear force between nucleons is attractive and very short-ranged;
5.3.1 (e) (e) estimate the density of nuclear matter;
5.3.1 (f) (f) define proton and nucleon number ;
5.3.1 (g) (g) state and use the notation a z X for the representation of nuclides;
5.3.1 (h) (h) define and use the term isotopes ;
5.3.2 (a) –(a) explain that since protons and neutrons contain charged constituents called quarks they are, therefore, not fundamental particles;
5.3.2 (b) –(b) describe a simple quark model of hadrons in terms of up, down and strange quarks and their respective antiquarks, taking into account their charge, baryon number and strangeness;
5.3.2 (c) (c) describe how the quark model may be extended to include the properties of charm, topness and bottomness;
5.3.2 (d) (d) describe the properties of neutrons and protons in terms of a simple quark model;

Chapter 13 Nuclear Physics

Objectives (from Spec)
5.3.1 (i) (i) use nuclear decay equations to represent simple nuclear reactions;
5.3.1 (j) (j) state the quantities conserved in a nuclear decay.
5.3.4 (a) (a) select and use Einstein’s mass–energy equation ?E = ?mc2 ;
5.3.4 (b) (b) define binding energy and binding energy per nucleon ;
5.3.4 (c) (c) use and interpret the binding energy per nucleon against nucleon number graph;
5.3.4 (d) (d) determine the binding energy of nuclei using ?E = ?mc 2 and masses of nuclei;
5.3.4 (e) (e) describe the process of induced nuclear fission;
5.3.4 (f) (f) describe and explain the process of nuclear chain reaction;
5.3.4 (g) (g) describe the basic construction of a fission reactor and explain the role of the fuel rods, control rods and the moderator;
5.3.4 (h) (h) describe the use of nuclear fission as an energy source;
5.3.4 (i) (i) describe the peaceful and destructive uses of nuclear fission;
5.3.4 (j) (j) describe the environmental effects of nuclear waste;
5.3.4 (k) (k) describe the process of nuclear fusion;
5.3.4 (l) (l) describe the conditions in the core of stars that make fusion possible;
5.3.4 (m) (m) calculate the energy released in simple nuclear reactions.

Chapter 14 Radioactivity

Objectives (from Spec):

5.3.2 (e) (e) describe how there is a weak interaction between quarks and that this is responsible for ? decay;
5.3.2 (f) (f) state that there are two types of ? decay;
5.3.2 (g) (g) describe the two types of ? decay in terms of a simple quark model;
5.3.2 (h) (h) state that (electron) neutrinos and (electron) antineutrinos are produced during ?+ and ?- decays, respectively;
5.3.2 (i) (i) state that a ?- particle is an electron and a ?+ particle is a positron;
5.3.2 (j) (j) state that electrons and neutrinos are members of a group of particles known as leptons.
5.3.3 (a) (a) describe the spontaneous and random nature of radioactive decay of unstable nuclei;
5.3.3 (b) (b) describe the nature, penetration and range of ?-particles, ?- particles and ?-rays;
5.3.3 (c) (c) define and use the quantities activity and decay constant ;
5.3.3 (d) (d) select and apply the equation for activity A = ?N;
5.3.3 (e) (e) select and apply the equations A = A0e-?t and N = N0e-?t where A is the activity and N is the number of undecayed nuclei;
5.3.3 (f) (f) define and apply the term half-life ;
5.3.3 (g) (g) select and use the equation ?t 1/2 = 0.693;
5.3.3 (h) (h) compare and contrast decay of radioactive nuclei and decay of charge on a capacitor in a C–R circuit;
5.3.3 (i) (i) describe the use of radioactive isotopes in smoke alarms;
5.3.3 (j) (j) describe the technique of radioactive dating (ie carbon-dating).

Chapter 15 X-Rays

Objectives (from Spec)

5.4.1 (a) (a) describe the nature of X-rays;
5.4.1 (b) (b) describe in simple terms how X-rays are produced;
5.4.1 (c) (c) describe how X-rays interact with matter (limited to photoelectric effect, Compton Effect and pair production);
5.4.1 (d) (d) define intensity as the power per unit cross sectional area;
5.4.1 (e) (e) select and use the equation I = I 0 e-?x to show how the intensity I of a collimated X-ray beam varies with thickness x of medium;
5.4.1 (f) (f) describe the use of X-rays in imaging internal body structures including the use of image intensifiers and of contrast media;
5.4.1 (g) (g) explain how soft tissues like the intestines can be imaged using barium meal;
5.4.1 (h) (h) describe the operation of a computerised axial tomography (CAT) scanner;
5.4.1 (i) (i) describe the advantages of a CAT scan compared with an X-ray image.
5.4.2 (h) (h) describe the need for non-invasive techniques in diagnosis;

Chapter 16 Diagnostic Methods in Medicine

Objectives (from Spec)

5.4.2 (a) (a) describe the use of medical tracers like technetium-99m to diagnose the function of organs;
5.4.2 (b) (b) describe the main components of a gamma camera;
5.4.2 (c) (c) describe the principles of positron emission tomography (PET);
5.4.2 (d) (d) outline the principles of magnetic resonance, with reference to precession of nuclei, Larmor frequency, resonance and relaxation times;
5.4.2 (e) (e) describe the main components of an MRI scanner;
5.4.2 (f) (f) outline the use of MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) to obtain diagnostic information about internal organs;
5.4.2 (g) (g) describe the advantages and disadvantages of MRI;
5.4.2 (h) (h) describe the need for non-invasive techniques in diagnosis;

Chapter 17 Ultrasound

Objectives (from Spec)

5.4.2 (i) (i) explain what is meant by the Doppler effect;
5.4.2 (j) (j) explain qualitatively how the Doppler effect can be used to determine the speed of blood.
5.4.3 (a) (a) describe the properties of ultrasound;
5.4.3 (b) (b) describe the piezoelectric effect;
5.4.3 (c) (c) explain how ultrasound transducers emit and receive high frequency sound;
5.4.3 (d) (d) describe the principles of ultrasound scanning;
5.4.3 (e) (e) describe the difference between A-scan and B-scan;
5.4.3 (f) –(f) calculate the acoustic impedance using the equation Z = ?c ;
5.4.3 (g) –(g) calculate the fraction of reflected intensity using the equation Ir/I0 = (Z2 –Z1)2/(Z2 + Z1)2;
5.4.3 (h) –(h) describe the importance of impedance matching;
5.4.3 (i) –(i) explain why a gel is required for effective ultrasound imaging techniques.

Chapter 18 –The nature of the Universe

5.5.1 (a) (a) describe the principal contents of the universe, including stars, galaxies and radiation;
5.5.1 (b) (b) describe the solar system in terms of the Sun, planets, planetary satellites and comets;
5.5.1 (c) (c) describe the formation of a star, such as our Sun, from interstellar dust and gas;
5.5.1 (d) (d) describe the Sun’s probable evolution into a red giant and white dwarf;
5.5.1 (e) (e) describe how a star much more massive than our Sun will evolve into a super red giant and then either a neutron star or black hole;
5.5.1 (f) (f) define distances measured in astronomical units (AU), parsecs (pc) and light-years (ly);
5.5.1 (g) (g) state the approximate magnitudes in metres, of the parsec and light-year;
5.5.1 (h) (h) state Olbers’ paradox;
5.5.1 (i) (i) interpret Olbers’ paradox to explain why it suggests that the model of an infinite, static universe is incorrect;
5.5.1 (j) (j) select and use the equation ??/?= v/c;
5.5.1 (k) (k) describe and interpret Hubble’s redshift observations;
5.5.1 (l) (l) state and interpret Hubble’s law;
5.5.1 (m) (m) convert the Hubble constant H0 from its conventional units (km s-1 Mpc-1 ) to SI (s-1);
5.5.1 (n) (n) state the cosmological principle;
5.5.2 (a) (a) explain that the standard (hot big bang) model of the universe implies a finite age for the universe;
5.5.2 (b) (b) select and use the expression age of universe ? 1/H0;

Chapter 19 The evolution of the Universe

Objectives (from Spec)

5.5.1 (o) (o) describe and explain the significance of the 3K microwave background radiation.
5.5.2 (a) (a) explain that the standard (hot big bang) model of the universe implies a finite age for the universe;
5.5.2 (b) (b) select and use the expression age of universe ? 1/H0;
5.5.2 (c) (c) describe qualitatively the evolution of universe 10-43 s after the big bang to the present;
5.5.2 (d) (d) explain that the universe may be ‘open’, ‘flat’ or ‘closed’, depending on its density;
5.5.2 (e) (e) explain that the ultimate fate of the universe depends on its density;
5.5.2 (f) (f) define the term critical density ;
5.5.2 (g) (g) select and use the expression for critical density of the universe ? = 3H02/8?G;
5.5.2 (h) (h) explain that it is currently believed that the density of the universe is close to, and possibly exactly equal to, the critical density needed for a ‘flat’ cosmology.[/INDENT]

Too much to learn...
Reply 277
Original post by M_I
Yeah, they do I think, its caused by spin or something. If you have the book, its got a picture in the 4th paragraph.

I dont have the book, but I think I know what you are on about. I wasn't aware that we had to know much about the quark theory.
Reply 278
Original post by M_I

Page 66, CGP.

You always draw magnetic field lines going N to S.
can anyone explain the nucleon-nucleon spearation graph?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending