The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Pirates 4 really grossed that much? what the **** O_o looks like Pirates 5 is guaranteeed

Stakeland, now that's a film I wanna see
Original post by lukejoshjedi
first post, daaaamnit -_-

on a completely random note, I wonder why Frodo and his ragtag fellowship just fly on the giant eagles straight to Mount doom and drop the ring in the volcano like that, cut out the Two Towers and ROTK

Hey, I know you did this flippin ages ago but I can't be arsed to go find any LOTR related posts so I'll pick on you :wink: I think it was because the nazgul would have flown up and eaten them all :tongue:

Also what I don't get, sorry if someone's already mentioned it, but how come aragorn goes stabbing and slashing all the blood riders and setting them on fire, then they all get washed down the river by a tidal wave, and aragorn's all like ohh they can't die... Then all eowyn has to do is stab the witch king in the face and he dies?!
Reply 2742
Original post by Mad Cat Lady
Also what I don't get, sorry if someone's already mentioned it, but how come aragorn goes stabbing and slashing all the blood riders and setting them on fire, then they all get washed down the river by a tidal wave, and aragorn's all like ohh they can't die... Then all eowyn has to do is stab the witch king in the face and he dies?!

Because Eowyn isn't a man. They can't be killed by men. That's why you get the cheesy "I am no man" line.
Original post by zjs
Because Eowyn isn't a man. They can't be killed by men. That's why you get the cheesy "I am no man" line.

But Arwen couldn't kill them and she's an elf..
Reply 2744

Think it had something to do with Merry attacking him first (as he's not technically a Man, but a hobbit).

Without him being attacked by Merry, it seems Eowyn wouldn't have been able to kill him.
Original post by zjs
Think it had something to do with Merry attacking him first (as he's not technically a Man, but a hobbit).

Without him being attacked by Merry, it seems Eowyn wouldn't have been able to kill him.

Ohhh so if they hadn't broken the rules and gone out to war then theoden would have been eaten by the nazgul because everyone else was men. Cool! :tongue:
But then in that case, frodo could have just killed him on weathertop rather than just flopping on the floor xD my friend and I had a very heated debate the other day about whether or not frodo is a wuss because compared to the other hobbits, he actually does very little. I argued that he did save sam once and he killed gollum, buuut then again...
I badly need to watch senna, the beaver and perhaps I'll try bridesmaids 0.0. Has anyone seen any of these films? I also really need finally see Hanna, confessions and black swan. I know I'm behind but there is no cinema in my town.:frown:
Original post by zjs
If we're mentioning great British t.v., I think Peep Show certainly deserves a mention. As does The Office.

Extras was good, but I do feel it was eclipsed by The Office. As for Spooks, I didn't like it beyond the first two seasons. Already, at that point, it was endlessly repeating the same 'countdown-to-save-the-world' scenarios.

I've only seen sporadic episodes of The Sopranos, so I can't judge. The Wire is, however, phenomenal. Likewise, Seinfeld could rightly be called the forerunner for most sitcoms (especially Friends).

You also need to see series one of being human at least, on the note of good British TV

1) Arwen is an elf not a human, therefore not a woman, weird I know. Well that's my explanation
2) I like that moment as a pro feminist thing
3) However I think that Tolkien might have wondered how he could of given his story resolution and a conclusion, and used gender as a loophole.
Reply 2749
Ohhh so if they hadn't broken the rules and gone out to war then theoden would have been eaten by the nazgul because everyone else was men. Cool! :tongue:
But then in that case, frodo could have just killed him on weathertop rather than just flopping on the floor xD my friend and I had a very heated debate the other day about whether or not frodo is a wuss because compared to the other hobbits, he actually does very little. I argued that he did save sam once and he killed gollum, buuut then again...

I think it was the combination of the two of them that was needed, and he was always going to die at the hands of a woman, as there was some prophecy (in the book) which described his death in terms of not being at the hands of a "male". Tolkien always used Male when he meant members of the race of Men, so this reference seems to mean the male of any Middle Earth 'species.

He didn't really kill Gollum though, so much as fought him for the Ring on the edge of Mt. Doom (according to the film, at least), at which point Gollum bit off his finger and fell into the volcano. Frodo had to 'bear the Ring' though, which was supposedly the hardest task of all, as it kept drawing him in.
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Pirates 4 really grossed that much? what the **** O_o looks like Pirates 5 is guaranteeed

Stakeland, now that's a film I wanna see

:smile: same here, I heard about it on the film show on radio5 live, however I'm game to watch just about anything that involves supernaturals.
Original post by midnight'sdream
I badly need to watch senna, the beaver and perhaps I'll try bridesmaids 0.0. Has anyone seen any of these films? I also really need finally see Hanna, confessions and black swan. I know I'm behind but there is no cinema in my town.:frown:

Senna is a breathtakingly good film in a year that is shaping up to have a lot of strong documentaries. Out of all of those it's definitely the one you should try and check out if you have the chance.
Original post by Christien
No.

You know, before I read Twilight, I was firmly convinced that people have the right to enjoy whatever they please. Many would heap scorn upon my obsession with Star Wars, and every argument I would make fell upon deaf ears. As such, I felt a peculiar kinship with these people; they liked something outside of the norm, something not everyone would be on board with. Why did they deserve so much crap for liking something that didn't fall in line with most other people's interests?

Then I read the book.

Every poorly-constructed sentence, every instance of Edward and Bella looking longingly at one other, the climax that exists solely because you can't have a vampire novel without someone getting ****ed up led to everything negative everyone said being wholly justified.

I will never forgive the lady in question for subjecting me to that, I will never forgive Ms. Meyer for writing it. I will never forgive the publisher for thinking it might be something someone might want to eventually read. My faith in literature, art and humanity was destroyed completely.

I might not like the films of, say, James Cameron, but I can at least respect the craftsmanship, and that even if his pictures are essentially cliche-ridden nonsense, something important happens whenever he directs a film. Meyer contributes nothing to anything. She documents her sex dreams and sells them by the ton. :colonhash:

There, there. Go read Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace will make everything better. :console:
Original post by Madjackismad
There, there. Go read Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace will make everything better. :console:

Haha. Sorry all, that was a fairly drunken, idiotic, rambling post. :facepalm2:

I do want to read some David Foster Wallace, but I've ordered Cloud Atlas because people keep banging on about it and I have to get through that first. :colonhash:
Haha. Sorry all, that was a fairly drunken, idiotic, rambling post. :facepalm2:

I do want to read some David Foster Wallace, but I've ordered Cloud Atlas because people keep banging on about it and I have to get through that first. :colonhash:

I think Infinite Jest may be the best book I've read so far and that says a lot since I've read a lot. :p:
Original post by Madjackismad
I think Infinite Jest may be the best book I've read so far and that says a lot since I've read a lot. :p:

I don't like the name. People need to stop quoting Hamlet in titles, they seem to think it a sort of shorthand saying 'this is going to be clever'. But I have some marathon flights coming up and will need stuff to read after the Mitchell book so I will buy it. If it's not the greatest novel I've ever read -and it almost definitely won't be- expect a vicious rebuke. :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't like the name. People need to stop quoting Hamlet in titles, it's annoying as ****. But I have some marathon flights coming up and will need stuff to read after the Mitchell book so I will buy it. If it's not the greatest novel I've ever read -and it almost definitely won't be- expect a vicious rebuke. :colonhash:

It's one of the best novels I've read. :wink: The name is important, but you need to stick with it for about 100 pages or so before you start to make sense of what the book is really about.
Original post by zjs
I like the "points" system that operates in Battlefield. The fact that I can sit behind a teammate's tank, as an Engineer, and repair it for a consistent slew of points and then get into the tank and take down the enemy with the tank's machine gun. I thought the addition of your own 'squad' within the team was a great feature too, as helping them earned you three times the points and you could use them to spawn on. The downside of this was the difficulty the server often found in selecting me a squad.

Another thing which was really good was the way that deaths were handled in objective gametypes. I can't remember precisely, but they started from a certain number and counted downwards every time someone died, and rose when an enemy was killed. And the medic class was ultimately crucial since saving a life would save the score. None of this crap emphasis on kill/death ratios. Other positives being a lot of people tend to have microphones for the purpose of actually communicating and a lot of people actually thank you for saving them. Pleasant gameplay all round.

That and running around with a defibrillator. :ahee:

I didn't even know you were much of a gamer until you posted about it. Always learning new things. :tongue:

I thought it died because he'd stabbed in the mouth? Quite how a puny little sword would kill something that size is beyond me though. :hmmm2:.

Nah, it took him to Davy Jones Locker. And then in the third film, one of the villains (forgettable) who was ransoming the heart told Davy Jones he had ordered him to kill his own beast.

You're forgetting the golden rule of POTC: anything that kills thousands of people, is legendary for how fearsome and devastating it is: Blackbeard's magic, Calypso, the Kraken, the crew of the Black Pearl, is only able to slightly scare and inconvenience Jack Sparrow.

I sort of like that trait in Jack Sparrow.

There's also this obsession with living for a long time. First film, the treasure cursed them to become half-dead, second and third films were concerned with Davy Jone's heart and sailing the seas forever and finally, the fourth film is the Magic Fountain and the extension of life. Getting slightly boring now.

No.

You know, before I read Twilight, I was firmly convinced that people have the right to enjoy whatever they please. Many would heap scorn upon my obsession with Star Wars, and every argument I would make fell upon deaf ears. As such, I felt a peculiar kinship with these people; they liked something outside of the norm, something not everyone would be on board with. Why did they deserve so much crap for liking something that didn't fall in line with most other people's interests?

Then I read the book.

Every poorly-constructed sentence, every instance of Edward and Bella looking longingly at one other, the climax that exists solely because you can't have a vampire novel without someone getting ****ed up led to everything negative everyone said being wholly justified.

I will never forgive the lady in question for subjecting me to that, I will never forgive Ms. Meyer for writing it. I will never forgive the publisher for thinking it might be something someone might want to eventually read. My faith in literature, art and humanity was destroyed completely.

I might not like the films of, say, James Cameron, but I can at least respect the craftsmanship, and that even if his pictures are essentially cliche-ridden nonsense, something important happens whenever he directs a film. Meyer contributes nothing to anything. She documents her sex dreams and sells them by the ton. :colonhash:

Take comfort in the fact that you just read the first book, and not all four. They get progressively worse. You'd probably end up gnawing your own fingers off.

It's best not to treat them as literature. View them as fan fiction. That makes me feel infinitely better about the world.
I have quite a liking for the National Treasure films. They aren't much in terms of great films, but they sure are enjoyable.
(edited 12 years ago)
There's a new film which I'd love to see, and have been anticipating for almost a year now... I missed out on getting free tickets twice. Ack. Anyway, it's called Good Neighbours and it's by one of my favorite directors, Jacob Tierney. It's based on the book Chère voisine, and it's about three Anglophones living in a french neighbourhood where serial killings have been going on. Apparently it's one of the goriest films out this year (!) and I'm really against that, which is why I'm not buying tickets myself to go see it...

Quick Reply

Latest