The Student Room Group

Stalling on Hill Starts.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FXX
More gas isn't the answer. As said above you need no more than 2k rpm to pull away on a hill. If you need any more than that you need to improve your clutch control - unless you enjoy a burnt clutch, because semi-engaged plates at 3k or more on an incline does it no good whatsoever.

Your instructor sounds pretty terrible if his recommendation is to floor it everytime you pull away on a gentle slope.

I'm learning in a 1.3 CDTI..... I don't even need any gas on a hill start, at all.

So when I say more gas, I think that IT IS the answer, because I'm not too sure you can start on a hill with no gas in a petrol. Before commenting try and find out the reasoning behind what you're responding to first, otherwise you'll get **** on like I just did to you :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
I'm learning in a 1.3 CDTI..... I don't even need any gas on a hill start, at all.

So when I say more gas, I think that IT IS the answer, because I'm not too sure you can start on a hill with no gas in a petrol. Before commenting try and find out the reasoning behind what you're responding to first, otherwise you'll get **** on like I just did to you :smile:

Sorry who's the one that's actually passed their test... Don't patronise me. I learned in diesel and it got changed half way through my lessons to petrol. You're acting like a complete dick now until you actually pass your test and, according to you never stall, then you can comment on other peoples stalling issues.
Original post by AllanMcG
Sorry who's the one that's actually passed their test... Don't patronise me. I learned in diesel and it got changed half way through my lessons to petrol. You're acting like a complete dick now until you actually pass your test and, according to you never stall, then you can comment on other peoples stalling issues.

I have NOT passed my test yet. I have passed a mock test, of which I've had around 13 lessons prior to that, I have only stalled twice on my first lesson. Stop using " You haven't passed" as your defence, because quite frankly you're making yourself sound worse by admitting to stalling with a full UK driving license !!

Lmao
From my experience (which isn't a huge amount i'll admit) you just lift the clutch abit more than usual so you see the front of the car actually rise up abit, use abit more gas than usual then don't raise the clutch too fast while increasing the gas as you move off.
Reply 24
I have NOT passed my test yet. I have passed a mock test, of which I've had around 13 lessons prior to that, I have only stalled twice on my first lesson. Stop using " You haven't passed" as your defence, because quite frankly you're making yourself sound worse by admitting to stalling with a full UK driving license !!

Lmao

The most experienced drivers still stall.. Just because you pass your test doesnt mean you are perfect.
Reply 25

... are you suggesting that cars idle at 2000 rpm then? Because according to your post there, there is no middle ground between "more gas" and "no gas".
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26

Lmao

Cool story bro. Let us know how the real test goes.
Original post by FXX
... are you suggesting that cars idle at 2000 rpm then? Because according to your post there, there is no middle ground between "more gas" and "no gas".

Of course not. Idles at around 800rpm, you know what I'm saying, stop trying to twist things aruond because you know you're wrong. And I will be sure to let you know how to the real test goes :smile:
Reply 28
Of course not. Idles at around 800rpm, you know what I'm saying, stop trying to twist things aruond because you know you're wrong. And I will be sure to let you know how to the real test goes :smile:

Seriously dude, just stop talking. There are many members on this board with a lot more experience than you, myself included. So you've driven two cars? Whoopdedoo. I've driven 10 or 15 different cars on public roads since I passed two years ago and many more off road/private land too - from my current car, to a TD Pug 405 estate to a Honda Civic 1.6 to a Defender 110 to a 3.9L V8 Range Rover. As I said earlier in the thread, more gas doesn't really solve much. Clutch control is the key. I can pull away in third gear in my car on the flat without too much trouble at barely above idle, which is saying something for a 1968 1.1L, and it's all down to clutch control.

You passed your mock test? Sweet. I failed all of my mock tests and passed my practical with 3 minors - mock tests aren't a realistic measure of your ability to pass, in the same way that the proper test isn't a realistic measure of your ability to drive as a whole. Accept that you don't know as much as other members on here do, and stop arguing. Who cars if some people stall with a license? My Dad's been driving for nearly 50 years, including driving Marines forces vehicles in desert/rainforest conditions and drove cars around the country for a living for 10 years, and he still stalls sometimes.
Reply 29

You seemed to assume that I was talking about using no gas whatsoever. Hence the comment

I'm not too sure you can start on a hill with no gas in a petrol

If you're stalling the answer is not more gas. If it is for you, that's a sign of poor car control, and you won't pass your test if you think that is the solution.
Original post by Nuffles
Seriously dude, just stop talking. There are many members on this board with a lot more experience than you, myself included. So you've driven two cars? Whoopdedoo. I've driven 10 or 15 different cars on public roads since I passed two years ago and many more off road/private land too - from my current car, to a TD Pug 405 estate to a Honda Civic 1.6 to a Defender 110 to a 3.9L V8 Range Rover. As I said earlier in the thread, more gas doesn't really solve much. Clutch control is the key. I can pull away in third gear in my car on the flat without too much trouble at barely above idle, which is saying something for a 1968 1.1L, and it's all down to clutch control.

You passed your mock test? Sweet. I failed all of my mock tests and passed my practical with 3 minors - mock tests aren't a realistic measure of your ability to pass, in the same way that the proper test isn't a realistic measure of your ability to drive as a whole. Accept that you don't know as much as other members on here do, and stop arguing. Who cars if some people stall with a license? My Dad's been driving for nearly 50 years, including driving Marines forces vehicles in desert/rainforest conditions and drove cars around the country for a living for 10 years, and he still stalls sometimes.

I'm not saying I'm experienced, it has nothing to do with experience. Whoopdedoo you've drove 10-15 different cars, aren't you a total badman!

Oh, I'm not the one who said more gas solves the problem, so I'll ignore that last section of the paragraph because I already know that :smile:

I don't care if people stall with a license, I care that because I myself don't have a license people seem to think I don't know what I'm talking about. I have not stalled since first lesson, if you stall there must be something wrong with you. How can you forget to clutch down? Really?...lol
Original post by FXX
You seemed to assume that I was talking about using no gas whatsoever. Hence the comment

If you're stalling the answer is not more gas. If it is for you, that's a sign of poor car control, and you won't pass your test if you think that is the solution.

Thanks for regurgitating what I've said already during this thread, bravo :smile:
Reply 32
I'm not saying I'm experienced, it has nothing to do with experience. Whoopdedoo you've drove 10-15 different cars, aren't you a total badman!

Oh, I'm not the one who said more gas solves the problem, so I'll ignore that last section of the paragraph because I already know that :smile:

I don't care if people stall with a license, I care that because I myself don't have a license people seem to think I don't know what I'm talking about. I have not stalled since first lesson, if you stall there must be something wrong with you. How can you forget to clutch down? Really?...lol

This thread isn't even about "clutch down" it's about clutch control when pulling off.

I hope you make regular appearances on the ultimate "failed your driving test" thread.
Original post by Luke0011
This thread isn't even about "clutch down" it's about clutch control when pulling off.

I hope you make regular appearances on the ultimate "failed your driving test" thread.

You obviously didn't read what I was responding to when I used "Clutch down"....

Guys it's not hard, biting point, you'll see the nose of the car rise, and you'll even hear the engine RPMs change.... nothing more nothing less.
Reply 34
You obviously didn't read what I was responding to when I used "Clutch down"....

Guys it's not hard, biting point, you'll see the nose of the car rise, and you'll even hear the engine RPMs change.... nothing more nothing less.

But you have no experience being in the car, on your own, noone telling you what to do. So you don't know what you're talking about yet.
But you have no experience being in the car, on your own, noone telling you what to do. So you don't know what you're talking about yet.

I knew how to drive before my lessons, I haven't been in a car on my own, but I have with friends.

Besides my instructor doesn't tell me what to do anyway, it's all common sense. I told him to let me do things my way and if I go wrong then he can criticize, rather than constantly telling me to do this and that :smile:
Reply 36
I knew how to drive before my lessons, I haven't been in a car on my own, but I have with friends.

Besides my instructor doesn't tell me what to do anyway, it's all common sense. I told him to let me do things my way and if I go wrong then he can criticize, rather than constantly telling me to do this and that :smile:

But you haven't been on the road, on your own, without an instructor. Suddenly, for a while, it's a lot more daunting. I ended up rushing, and stalling sometimes.
But you haven't been on the road, on your own, without an instructor. Suddenly, for a while, it's a lot more daunting. I ended up rushing, and stalling sometimes.

Nope, I've been on the road with a friend who wasn't an instructor, same thing as being alone. It's not daunting, I love driving, I'm a confident driver and I still stick to having not stalled since my first lesson, I don't see how you can stall, especially once you know how not to stall!!
Reply 38
Nope, I've been on the road with a friend who wasn't an instructor, same thing as being alone. It's not daunting, I love driving, I'm a confident driver and I still stick to having not stalled since my first lesson, I don't see how you can stall, especially once you know how not to stall!!

Was that not illegal then?

And it's pretty easy to stall when you go from a diesel to a petrol.
Reply 39
clio's have got a wierd biting point and are really wierd to drive after learning in another car, but keep practicing and you'll get used to it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending