The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I keep trying to rep people, but appaz I get you guys too much. Whoops.
Reply 4641
Original post by rainbowbex
I keep trying to rep people, but appaz I get you guys too much. Whoops.

I had the same problem earlier! Too many thoughtful, helpful, repworthy posts in this thread.
:ditto:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:awesome:

I think Ruth was one of my few bits of religious acting in primary school (though I was also Pilate one time). I never really got to do the Nativity plays because I was almost always the narrator. Aside from Reception when I was the innkeeper's wife but was too scared to say my lines :o:

I was always the narrator :five: one year my glasses broke literally 5 mins before I had to go read my bit...worst moment ever!
Original post by JB Johnstone
Ruth is awesome. I really want to study it in detail, but there's so many other books I want to study too! My mind has been blown a lot by God's love through the story of Hosea and that picture of the Gospel. I need to study a gospel in depth too, I'm thinking John since I've studied Luke and Matthew in a bit of detail (still not a great deal). Also Ephesians, I studied Eph. 5:18 to the end of the chapter last month and was so ridiculously blessed by it.

Found a cool quote -
"We all need to ask ourselves are we studying the Word that we might be more like Jesus or more like the Pharisees? Mark it down -- You can measure the eternal effectiveness of your inductive Bible study by the temporal effect it has on your behavior and attitudes. Don't be deceived -- Every time we hear the Word of God, we are either a little closer to heaven or a little further away. We are either a little more sweetened or a little more hardened. But we are never just the same. Once we know what a passage means we are responsible to live it out."

I've only read the very first bit of Hosea: clearly I will have to give it a proper read sometime :smile:

If I were to pick a gospel, I'd also pick John. He seems poetic and dreamy and I like that :smile:

Original post by greeneyedgirl
:ditto:

I was always the narrator :five: one year my glasses broke literally 5 mins before I had to go read my bit...worst moment ever!

Clearly the best people are narrators :cool: I harbour secret dreams of playing the Narrator in the Joseph musical :ninja: My vocal range isn't quite right though :cry2:
I've only read the very first bit of Hosea: clearly I will have to give it a proper read sometime :smile:

If I were to pick a gospel, I'd also pick John. He seems poetic and dreamy and I like that :smile:

Clearly the best people are narrators :cool: I harbour secret dreams of playing the Narrator in the Joseph musical :ninja: My vocal range isn't quite right though :cry2:

Rewrite the vocal range needed then :yep:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Rewrite the vocal range needed then :yep:

I like this idea :ninja:
Said a prayer for you :smile:

My best friends range from an Anglican priest to militant atheists. I find the ones who help me to grow the most are the Christian ones, since they understand and have been most supportive of my journey (my faith is part of my illness). That said, I am extremely fond of the militant atheist ones and don't mind them questioning or ridiculing within reason. Just the other day I watched 'Life of Brian' with a militant atheist friend! :biggrin: I don't mind what denomination my friends are or if they're anti-Catholic, as long as they respect my right to have a different belief and aren't too offensive. I had a huge falling out with my 'Life of Brian' friend and we didn't speak for about six months because it got to the point where she was so rude and hurtful that I felt I couldn't have her at my (far-off) wedding or funeral because she can't seem to behave herself in church settings. We eventually made up and she tries not to be so offensive and I try to be less sensitive :smile:

On the partners front, I agree that you can't help who you fall for. I'd ideally like to marry a Catholic or Anglican because they're more likely to understand me and my illness. If I was with a non-Christian partner, it would have to be someone who could understand all that and be respectful. Also someone who wouldn't mind a house full of saints statues and holy water :biggrin:

That sounds horrible :jumphug:

I think you should have this operation. God put you in an age full of advanced medicine and technology for a reason :smile:

:five: :hugs:
Reply 4647
Original post by Ineluctable
Theology is a waste of time. God is ultimately incomprehensible.

No offense but this society is for support, for faith and for acceptance of each other and our beliefs. If you cannot do any of these please kindly leave and keep your views to yourself.
Reply 4648
Ruth is awesome. I really want to study it in detail, but there's so many other books I want to study too! My mind has been blown a lot by God's love through the story of Hosea and that picture of the Gospel. I need to study a gospel in depth too, I'm thinking John since I've studied Luke and Matthew in a bit of detail (still not a great deal). Also Ephesians, I studied Eph. 5:18 to the end of the chapter last month and was so ridiculously blessed by it.

Found a cool quote -
"We all need to ask ourselves are we studying the Word that we might be more like Jesus or more like the Pharisees? Mark it down -- You can measure the eternal effectiveness of your inductive Bible study by the temporal effect it has on your behavior and attitudes. Don't be deceived -- Every time we hear the Word of God, we are either a little closer to heaven or a little further away. We are either a little more sweetened or a little more hardened. But we are never just the same. Once we know what a passage means we are responsible to live it out."

I love Hosea and really enjoyed studying it with my church bible study group was so amazing to see God in a different light than some of the other old testament prophets where he's shown as an angry God but Hosea showed that he was hurt by our betrayal and turning away. It was so eye-opening.

I want to do more bible study especially when I'm at home without a church... may purchase a book any recommendations?
John 8:1-11

But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. Early in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people were coming to Him; and He sat down and began to teach them. The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman caught in adultery, and having set her in the center of the court, they said to Him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in adultery, in the very act. "Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women ; what then do You say?" They were saying this, testing Him, so that they might have grounds for accusing Him. But Jesus stooped down and with His finger wrote on the ground. But when they persisted in asking Him, He straightened up, and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." Again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. When they heard it, they began to go out one by one, beginning with the older ones, and He was left alone, and the woman, where she was, in the center of the court. Straightening up, Jesus said to her, "Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?" She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on sin no more."]
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ineluctable
Theology is a waste of time. God is ultimately incomprehensible.

u ignostic brah?

Original post by d123
Exactly. I would rep this for being a perfect statement of what I would argue is the key foundation of Christian belief, except I repped you recently.

ALLOW ME
Original post by 22KT22
I love Hosea and really enjoyed studying it with my church bible study group was so amazing to see God in a different light than some of the other old testament prophets where he's shown as an angry God but Hosea showed that he was hurt by our betrayal and turning away. It was so eye-opening.

I want to do more bible study especially when I'm at home without a church... may purchase a book any recommendations?

I rarely buy books (I have a growing library of books people have blessed me with! I've bought maybe one or two) but I was shown this website and have been really blessed by it - www.preceptaustin.org
It really encourages being taught by the Holy Spirit before using commentaries, but it has a ridiculously huge selection of commentaries and articles on just about everything by some really awesome teachers. Plus it has "disclaimers" for the teachers as well, for example Calvin reading the church into the story of Hosea in replace of Israel.
So, what's everyone's favourite book in the bible?

I think at the moment mine is probably Hosea.

My favourites are probably St. John and St Mark's Gospels and Relevation. My favourite OT Book is the Book of Wisdom :love:
Hey, so I've been trying as hard as I can to live by God's word and be a good person but I feel like no matter what God still punishes me, I suffered from depression a year ago and was lucky enough to get through it, but I recently had a relapse and have been gradually getting through that but it's like the more I try the worse it just gets. The more I try and be a good person, the more bad things happen to me, I just don't understand why God is letting me go through this?
Original post by LoveLoveLove16

Why would God punish you? Bad things happening to us is inevitable, and you could get into a long, and deep argument about whether (or why) God lets these things happen to us, but I think the best thing to do is keep trusting.
We can never know why God does what He does. Why does he let innocent children suffer? Why does he allow dictators to torture thousands of people? At the end of the day, the only certainty we have is that God loves us, has a plan for us, and knows what is best for us.
Original post by + polarity -
Why would God punish you? Bad things happening to us is inevitable, and you could get into a long, and deep argument about whether (or why) God lets these things happen to us, but I think the best thing to do is keep trusting.

Punish me for sinning?

Punish me for sinning?

God doesn't do that! For someone who loves us so much, I don't think punishing us whenever we do something wrong is very loving at all. So please, don't feel like God is chastising or condemning you when you do something you think is wrong. We live in His grace!
Hey, so I've been trying as hard as I can to live by God's word and be a good person but I feel like no matter what God still punishes me, I suffered from depression a year ago and was lucky enough to get through it, but I recently had a relapse and have been gradually getting through that but it's like the more I try the worse it just gets. The more I try and be a good person, the more bad things happen to me, I just don't understand why God is letting me go through this?

I know it's hard (I'm ill with severe depression and am in a psychotic episode that's lasted 4 months so far) but try not to view your depression as a punishment from God. It's unlikely that it is. I don't believe in a vengeful angry God that would do something like that :nah: Try instead to see it as something that you - for whatever reason - have to go through but, with time, can manage to get through :smile:

It takes a lot of resilience and inner strength, so try and give yourself a pat on the back for how you're doing so far. It's not an easy thing to fight against but you're trying. That said, sometimes trying too hard can slow progress: sometimes your brain and/or body just needs time to be broken and to heal itself. That's something I've had to learn the hard way. There's not much I can do to get rid of this psychotic episode: interfering makes it worse. It just has to run its course. God's asked me to ride this one out, so there must be an end point somewhere, even if it's not for a while :smile:

I try to throw a positive light on being this ill by seeing it as not God abandoning me or punishing me, but drawing me closer to Him, which inevitably pisses off Satan big time, hence the trials and suffering involved :smile:
Original post by + polarity -
God doesn't do that! For someone who loves us so much, I don't think punishing us whenever we do something wrong is very loving at all. So please, don't feel like God is chastising or condemning you when you do something you think is wrong. We live in His grace!

Thank you, it's just really difficult because when i'm like this it feels like no matter what I do God is still upset with me for the sin which just makes me feel worse

Latest

Trending

Trending