The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4500
Original post by lolo-x
I think I am now yeah :smile: I wasn't planning to but now I've been there I quite like it, alhough the 67% student satisfaction on unistats is a bit worrying..

I heard that they were going to change some aspects of the course (not sure), due to complaints. There's actually quite a good blog about manc, written by a med student:

http://thelittlemedic.blogspot.com/2008/07/reflections-on-5-years.html

It basically discourages anyone from ever applying to manchester :s-smilie:
Reply 4501
I appear to be joining this discussion rather late- 226 pages is a little too much for me to read through! But I'll be applying for medicine this year too :smile: The views of Manchester I've heard from current medical students are enough to put me off from applying there for my pre-clinical years, but the hospitals they use for clinical years are excellent.

Edit: UHSM and MRI are. I don't know about the others.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4502
Original post by rhetoric
I appear to be joining this discussion rather late- 226 pages is a little too much for me to read through! But I'll be applying for medicine this year too :smile: The views of Manchester I've heard from current medical students are enough to put me off from applying there for my pre-clinical years, but the hospitals they use for clinical years are excellent.

Yeah I have heard the same, probably won't apply there, you know what unis you are going to apply to? :smile:
Reply 4503
Original post by Nator
Yeah I have heard the same, probably won't apply there, you know what unis you are going to apply to? :smile:

Yeah I think I'm going to apply to St Andrews, Cambridge and Birmingham, and I'm not sure yet about my fourth option. You? :smile:
Original post by sablarrr
I heard that they were going to change some aspects of the course (not sure), due to complaints. There's actually quite a good blog about manc, written by a med student:

http://thelittlemedic.blogspot.com/2008/07/reflections-on-5-years.html

It basically discourages anyone from ever applying to manchester :s-smilie:

Worth remembering that LittleMedic has long since graduated though. Current Manc students seem much happier. :smile:

Aww. :frown: What are they saying?
Reply 4506
Yeah I think I'm going to apply to St Andrews, Cambridge and Birmingham, and I'm not sure yet about my fourth option. You? :smile:

Kool :smile: And I'm thinking Cambridge, UCL, Kings and 1 more I don't know yet :smile: So you not going to be doing the UKCAT?
Original post by Nator
Kool :smile: And I'm thinking Cambridge, UCL, Kings and 1 more I don't know yet :smile: So you not going to be doing the UKCAT?

how are you revising for the bmat/ukcat

i'm getting insanely bored here

my choices:

ONE bmat university
ONE university that is near my house
TWO that do not do pbl, and mostly lectures
Reply 4508
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Aww. :frown: What are they saying?

Well when I was on my work experience I met two fifth year students, one of whom had been at Manchester for her whole course; the other had been to St. Andrews for three years and then went to Manchester for her clinical years. They both agreed that the latter was more prepared for clinical years, with the former describing her experience as 'DIY' medicine.
Having said that, both were excellent students and I have no doubt that they would also make great doctors- if you personally like the PBL style teaching and think it would suit you, don't let me put you off! :smile:
Reply 4509
Original post by Nator

Yep I've booked it for the 5th July- St Andrews use it and my fourth choice probably will too. I'm quite worried about it actually- St Andrews is my first choice and they have a cut off :/ Are you planning to take it?
Yep I've booked it for the 5th July- St Andrews use it and my fourth choice probably will too. I'm quite worried about it actually- St Andrews is my first choice and they have a cut off :/ Are you planning to take it?

i'm keeping away from PBL even if i have to risk two bmat uni's when i am rubbish at the bmat.

that is how much of a risk i would take...
Well when I was on my work experience I met two fifth year students, one of whom had been at Manchester for her whole course; the other had been to St. Andrews for three years and then went to Manchester for her clinical years. They both agreed that the latter was more prepared for clinical years, with the former describing her experience as 'DIY' medicine.
Having said that, both were excellent students and I have no doubt that they would also make great doctors- if you personally like the PBL style teaching and think it would suit you, don't let me put you off! :smile:

Oh no, it's much better to be put off than end up miserable. :smile: You're definitely not the first person to say that Manchester/PBL in general is **** (Manc and Glasgow are, I think, changing their courses to be less PBL for Glasgow it was because loads of students failed their third year :s-smilie:).

It sucks because there's not really any way of trying PBL out. I'm just going by the fact that I'm generally more motivated if deadlines I have are flexible and by the fact I enjoy self-teaching. Dunno if that's enough though. :p: I guess PBL itself isn't a bad idea but if a uni is badly organised then it could end up going tits up easily.
...i thought i'd enjoy the bmat critical thinking, and hate the normal questions, but it's the other way around...-.-
Oh no, it's much better to be put off than end up miserable. :smile: You're definitely not the first person to say that Manchester/PBL in general is **** (Manc and Glasgow are, I think, changing their courses to be less PBL for Glasgow it was because loads of students failed their third year :s-smilie:).

It sucks because there's not really any way of trying PBL out. I'm just going by the fact that I'm generally more motivated if deadlines I have are flexible and by the fact I enjoy self-teaching. Dunno if that's enough though. :p: I guess PBL itself isn't a bad idea but if a uni is badly organised then it could end up going tits up easily.

i'm keeping away from PBL...

i'm sorry but i want guidance, i want deadlines, i want someone who is an expert to teach us all.

yes, we will have to self teach a lot, don't use illogical arguments(not you) and say "you're lazy...medicine isn't for you" because you then assume all those who don't do pbl are lazy.

You assume that wanting an expert to set dead line and guide you while you learn medicine is being lazy.

no. we wil pay 9000 a year plus living costs, and all we want is to be guided, to be set deadlines, given lots of practicals.

we don't want to see patients when we barely have ANY medical knowledge, THOUGH, we want to have SOME contact.

any uni that does PBL is out of my list.

kele = pbl i heard?
uae = pbl also?

FORGET THEM.

"ok, apply to oxbridge"

lol, i don't want EITHER end of the extreme!

i don't want balance!

all i want is someone to guide me teach me, and let me do the rest of the work, like i am doing now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4514

Yeah, I agree that PBL in itself isn't a bad teaching method- but it was designed for mature students and graduates, not school leavers who had essentially been 'spoon-fed' their A' Levels and then 'thrown in at the deep end' with PBL, to quote one admissions tutor.
The Manchester student I met did say that they were planning to change their course, due to negative student feedback.
Yeah, I agree that PBL in itself isn't a bad teaching method- but it was designed for mature students and graduates, not school leavers who had essentially been 'spoon-fed' their A' Levels and then 'thrown in at the deep end' with PBL, to quote one admissions tutor.
The Manchester student I met did say that they were planning to change their course, due to negative student feedback.

PBL isn't going to help one learn and understand

you pay 9000 a year to go and be taught, not self teach yourself, and get students to self teach what they half learnt

you want to be taught in lectures, where experts can guide you what to read, and such

as for spoon feeding A levels, i'm sorry but i have not been spoon-fed anything. i've been taught by half of my teachers, because they are experts and know how best to explain a topic

i will get 16 rejections, but not do pbl.

i feel that strong about it.
Original post by im no superman
how are you revising for the bmat/ukcat

i'm getting insanely bored here

my choices:

ONE bmat university
ONE university that is near my house
TWO that do not do pbl, and mostly lectures

I don't suggest that you start being picky about your choices, not that you are really I'm just saying :biggrin:
Reply 4517
Original post by im no superman
PBL isn't going to help one learn and understand

you pay 9000 a year to go and be taught, not self teach yourself, and get students to self teach what they half learnt

you want to be taught in lectures, where experts can guide you what to read, and such

as for spoon feeding A levels, i'm sorry but i have not been spoon-fed anything. i've been taught by half of my teachers, because they are experts and know how best to explain a topic

i will get 16 rejections, but not do pbl.

i feel that strong about it.

I don't want to do PBL either, but it's a personal choice.
The spoon feeding idea isn't mine, it's what I've been told by several universities- all it's suggesting is that lecture- based learning is more similar to what we've had at A' level, and so should be more suited to school leavers, at least at the beginning of the course.
Original post by Limesasquatch
I don't suggest that you start being picky about your choices, not that you are really I'm just saying :biggrin:

i appreciate your advice, and can infer that you mean medicine is competitive to get in to.

However, this does not warrant me to pick universities based on the difficulty of obtaining a place at the course. Medical degrees last for atleast five years for my school-leavers cohort, and i do not want to hate every minute of it by disliking how i am taught - i have enough of that already.

Clearly, as a result, i am willing to risk, fully understanding i may be unsuccesful, to apply to non pbl courses.

If i need to be picky to ensure i get a quality education that i enjoy, then i will do so. If it means i have to face 30 rejections, then so be it.
I don't want to do PBL either, but it's a personal choice.
The spoon feeding idea isn't mine, it's what I've been told by several universities- all it's suggesting is that lecture- based learning is more similar to what we've had at A' level, and so should be more suited to school leavers, at least at the beginning of the course.

A. The whole point of university is for experts in the field you choose to study, to teach you.
B. This means they can teach you in a way that is best for you, as they know their subject inside out.
C. Humans use speaking as a means of communication of thousands of years - if not more.
D. Therefore, to use the argument that lectures are babyish is illogical.
E. There will be a time where we must be completely independant, but that is after the medical degree when we have learnt the correct information

(this is not an argument at you, but defenders of pbl)

Latest

Trending

Trending