The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im no superman
i appreciate your advice, and can infer that you mean medicine is competitive to get in to.

However, this does not warrant me to pick universities based on the difficulty of obtaining a place at the course. Medical degrees last for atleast five years for my school-leavers cohort, and i do not want to hate every minute of it by disliking how i am taught - i have enough of that already.

Clearly, as a result, i am willing to risk, fully understanding i may be unsuccesful, to apply to non pbl courses.

If i need to be picky to ensure i get a quality education that i enjoy, then i will do so. If it means i have to face 30 rejections, then so be it.

You are exactly right with what you say about he five years, that is what I believe too. I have the capacity to get into keele (links, not confidence in my own ability) and I may still apply there but I'd rather spend those years at a place where they have loads of activities.
However, it is the same degree where ever you go and you may prefer a certain style of teaching, but would there really be so many good medical schools offering PBL if there was any doubt of it's effect.
Also the variety that some courses teach may be better for example Newcastle which has systems based lectures as well as PBL as well as early patient contact. They do this all to ensure the best standard of doctor they can. So don't feel as if it isn't a high quality education, but by all means if you'd prefer not to then that is still good and there are still many to slchoose from
Reply 4521
Original post by rhetoric
Yep I've booked it for the 5th July- St Andrews use it and my fourth choice probably will too. I'm quite worried about it actually- St Andrews is my first choice and they have a cut off :/ Are you planning to take it?

Oh right I see, so early :biggrin: You revised for it? I see, what's their cut off? And yes I've booked it for the 3rd September :smile:
Reply 4522
how are you revising for the bmat/ukcat

i'm getting insanely bored here

my choices:

ONE bmat university
ONE university that is near my house
TWO that do not do pbl, and mostly lectures

BMAT doing section 2 at the moment, and will start UKCAT tomorrow :smile: Just past papers
Reply 4523
A. The whole point of university is for experts in the field you choose to study, to teach you.
B. This means they can teach you in a way that is best for you, as they know their subject inside out.
C. Humans use speaking as a means of communication of thousands of years - if not more.
D. Therefore, to use the argument that lectures are babyish is illogical.
E. There will be a time where we must be completely independant, but that is after the medical degree when we have learnt the correct information

(this is not an argument at you, but defenders of pbl)

Out of interest, where are you planning to apply?
Out of interest, where are you planning to apply?

I don't know yet. Dependant on the UKCAT/BMAT(WELL...)/A/S RESULTS

if i fail all three, then i will take a gap year and reapply.

Original post by Nator
BMAT doing section 2 at the moment, and will start UKCAT tomorrow :smile: Just past papers

Done section 1?

^^ for S2, did you actually read all of GCSE first? i want to start it, but just need advise so i don't waste time doing something pointless
Reply 4525
Original post by Nator
Oh right I see, so early :biggrin: You revised for it? I see, what's their cut off? And yes I've booked it for the 3rd September :smile:

Yep it's the first day you can do it- I'm away all summer. I've done some practice but will do more after my mechanics exam tomorrow- I've been revising for that... plus I'm in a play in a couple of weeks :P
It's 2400 and something I think :smile:
Reply 4526

Done section 1?

^^ for S2, did you actually read all of GCSE first? i want to start it, but just need advise so i don't waste time doing something pointless

Haven't started it, and no I didn't, I take all 4 subjects at AS so I assume I know the knowledge and whatever I don't know I read over it.
Reply 4527
Yep it's the first day you can do it- I'm away all summer. I've done some practice but will do more after my mechanics exam tomorrow- I've been revising for that... plus I'm in a play in a couple of weeks :P
It's 2400 and something I think :smile:

Oh I see, you had a look at the sections? Which you find hardest? And fair enough :smile: You mean total score right? That doesn't sound too bad :biggrin:
Original post by Nator
Oh I see, you had a look at the sections? Which you find hardest? And fair enough :smile: You mean total score right? That doesn't sound too bad :biggrin:

not bad? i'd take that score right now.

not bad? i'd take that score right now.

It's an average of 600. We should probably aim higher.

Though a cut off of 2400 is really not too bad.
Original post by oHellno

Right now implies that currently, i would love to be scoring that. At the moment, i'd be lucky to get a 1600 total, if that.

Personally, i look at the UKCAT as a fun quiz, which i am rubbish at.

if i fail, i fail, i'm doing it because it's fun
Right now implies that currently, i would love to be scoring that. At the moment, i'd be lucky to get a 1600 total, if that.

Personally, i look at the UKCAT as a fun quiz, which i am rubbish at.

if i fail, i fail, i'm doing it because it's fun

On the bright side you can't get worse than 1200
Original post by roar558
On the bright side you can't get worse than 1200

:smile: on the even brighter side, it's a fun exam, if i mess up in it, then i didn't have enough fun
Original post by oHellno

I'm aiming for an average of 700ish. What about you?
Original post by Limitless

Yeah same. Def need to do lots of work, and I have no idea how possible it is for me, but I can pray lol :daydreaming:
Original post by oHellno
Yeah same. Def need to do lots of work, and I have no idea how possible it is for me, but I can pray lol :daydreaming:

I'm really stressed about my results too. :frown:
Original post by oHellno

Inshallah

you can't predict what you'll get but you can defo prepare.

^^ let's discuss neccesary, and sufficient conditions

for example, if a text said " in order to get into a job , you must mee the entry requirements. I have met the entry requirements, thus, i will be given a job"

This is an example of confusing neccesary and sufficient conditions. It is neccesary to meet the entry requirement, but simply meeting it will not garuentee a job. Rather, the sufficient condition is that the interviewer is pleased with your resume , and you peform well enough at interview , relative the the applicants also applying.

Not 100% fact, but more-or less achieves the general idea of confusing these two principles.
Original post by aqua05
Well, its really up to you, honestly. Check out the unis you planning to apply & see if they accepting re-sitting GCSE applicants.
If, they say yes - i'm sure you will make it to an A* as GCSE is waay easier than AS or A2 & work hard :smile: Goood Luck:biggrin:

awww thank youuuu :redface: x
I'm really stressed about my results too. :frown:

Same. The only one I'm not too worried about is Maths because I've seen the answers on TSR :lol: Even Chemistry which I'm normally so confident about didn't go as well as planned. Gah. iA we'll be fine :smile:
Reply 4539
Original post by oHellno
Same. The only one I'm not too worried about is Maths because I've seen the answers on TSR :lol: Even Chemistry which I'm normally so confident about didn't go as well as planned. Gah. iA we'll be fine :smile:

I only one I am worried about is Maths because I effed up my C1 and S1! :laugh: Chemistry will be fine don't worry, boundaries will make up for difficulties :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending