The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4540
Original post by Nator
Oh I see, you had a look at the sections? Which you find hardest? And fair enough :smile: You mean total score right? That doesn't sound too bad :biggrin:

Yeah total score :smile: but after they use it as a cut off, everyone past that point gets scored depending on how far they are above it..
I think maybe the maths because of timing, but that might be because I've practised it the least. You?
Original post by im no superman
i'm keeping away from PBL...

i'm sorry but i want guidance, i want deadlines, i want someone who is an expert to teach us all.

I expect you do get deadlines, I phrased that wrong. What I meant is that you have the scope to get into as much or little depth as you want with certain subjects (within limits), arguably more so than LB courses.

no. we wil pay 9000 a year plus living costs, and all we want is to be guided, to be set deadlines, given lots of practicals.

According to Trust Me I'm (Still) a Doctor, the majority of that money doesn't actually go towards being taught. Not sure why you think being sat in a lecture theatre is work £9k anyway. With PBL you pay to use the library, online resources, your supervisor etc so it's not exactly a rip off. And a uni being PBL doesn't mean no practicals. :s-smilie:

we don't want to see patients when we barely have ANY medical knowledge, THOUGH, we want to have SOME contact.

I'd rather get patient contact early- patient contact doesn't mean you're going to be inserting catheters and diagnosing them early. It means you get to talk to them and appreciate how what you're learning links in to the wards.

any uni that does PBL is out of my list.

kele = pbl i heard?
uae = pbl also?

FORGET THEM.

I'm sure they'll be gutted to hear that. :erm:
Add Liverpool, Glasgow, Peninsula, Barts, Manchester to that list.

"ok, apply to oxbridge"

lol, i don't want EITHER end of the extreme!

i don't want balance!

all i want is someone to guide me teach me, and let me do the rest of the work, like i am doing now.

With PBL you can get lectures... like with Barts, you get quite a few lectures with the PBL- depends on the uni.
Original post by rhetoric
Yeah, I agree that PBL in itself isn't a bad teaching method- but it was designed for mature students and graduates, not school leavers who had essentially been 'spoon-fed' their A' Levels and then 'thrown in at the deep end' with PBL, to quote one admissions tutor.
The Manchester student I met did say that they were planning to change their course, due to negative student feedback.

Yeah, and I can't find much info on the course shifting which is annoying! :p:
Reply 4543
Original post by rhetoric
Yeah total score :smile: but after they use it as a cut off, everyone past that point gets scored depending on how far they are above it..
I think maybe the maths because of timing, but that might be because I've practised it the least. You?

Kool :biggrin: Oh right I see what you mean, and yeah I agree with the maths, and probably decision analysis because it just looks awful :laugh: But I haven't even started practicing properly yet, will start next week :smile: How long you practiced for at the moment?
Original post by Nator
I only one I am worried about is Maths because I effed up my C1 and S1! :laugh: Chemistry will be fine don't worry, boundaries will make up for difficulties :wink:

Wait, your do OCR right, did you do the one with the impossible question? Lol well iA it went fine! Hopefully we'll get our 4A's.
Reply 4545
Original post by oHellno
Wait, your do OCR right, did you do the one with the impossible question? Lol well iA it went fine! Hopefully we'll get our 4A's.

I do yeah, and haha I wish, but nah, I read the bloody question wrong on both C1 and S1! However I had the impossible 1 mark question on my Bio Unit 1, so hopefully the grade boundaries will be ramificated after the time wasted because of that question :biggrin: C1 after looking at the MS on TSR apparently I got 66/72, and C2 I think 71/72 (must have lost a silly mistake somewhere init), but my S1 would be low after reading that question wrong, which means I'll get around 62-66/72, just hoping the total of the three will be above 270 now :crossedf: And iA, don't think that should be a prob.
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
I expect you do get deadlines, I phrased that wrong. What I meant is that you have the scope to get into as much or little depth as you want with certain subjects (within limits), arguably more so than LB courses.

According to Trust Me I'm (Still) a Doctor, the majority of that money doesn't actually go towards being taught. Not sure why you think being sat in a lecture theatre is work £9k anyway. With PBL you pay to use the library, online resources, your supervisor etc so it's not exactly a rip off. And a uni being PBL doesn't mean no practicals. :s-smilie:

I'd rather get patient contact early- patient contact doesn't mean you're going to be inserting catheters and diagnosing them early. It means you get to talk to them and appreciate how what you're learning links in to the wards.

I'm sure they'll be gutted to hear that. :erm:
Add Liverpool, Glasgow, Peninsula, Barts, Manchester to that list.

With PBL you can get lectures... like with Barts, you get quite a few lectures with the PBL- depends on the uni.

:smile: that was not a unbiased opinion

^^ i don't like the idea of pbl, that's just my opinion

:smile: thanks for citing pbl universities, i'm sure they are superb, and talented, i did not imply that pbl is required to make a university good. Rather, i implied that i want a course with no pbl, as i learn better that way(or atleast i feel i will).

^^ i am not arrogant, i reserve my opinion. Again, i watched a pbl video, and it gives students 100% of the power(well 95% but statistics are mere guesses here).

I want guidance, not someone spoon-feeding, but atleast giving me a spoon to feed myself. I want the tools from the lectures.

We are jumping the gun here. Or atleast i am. I need to get into medicine first! believe me, i respect how hard it is to get in, and am taking nothing for granted and would not be surprised with four rejections! This does not mean i sit on the chair and do nothing, no, it means i give myself the best chance i can, and leave it to God.
Original post by Nator
I do yeah, and haha I wish, but nah, I read the bloody question wrong on both C1 and S1! However I had the impossible 1 mark question on my Bio Unit 1, so hopefully the grade boundaries will be ramificated after the time wasted because of that question :biggrin: C1 after looking at the MS on TSR apparently I got 66/72, and C2 I think 71/72 (must have lost a silly mistake somewhere init), but my S1 would be low after reading that question wrong, which means I'll get around 62-66/72, just hoping the total of the three will be above 270 now :crossedf: And iA, don't think that should be a prob.

i've lost ALOT more than 10 marks in all of my exams.

i speculate 20 in some, 25 in others...
Original post by oHellno

Did you do the D1 exam? How are first year exams going? (If you're first year) Have OCR been screwing up many other exams? Loads of people hated our Biology and Chemistry ones too :tongue:
:smile: that was not a unbiased opinion

That's because an unbiased opinion is logically impossible. :wink:

^^ i don't like the idea of pbl, that's just my opinion

Yeah but it's unfair to people considering PBL when they see your post which exaggerates the bad points and misses out the good points. That's why I bothered replying. :p:

^^ i am not arrogant, i reserve my opinion. Again, i watched a pbl video, and it gives students 100% of the power(well 95% but statistics are mere guesses here).

Link me to the video please?

I want guidance, not someone spoon-feeding, but atleast giving me a spoon to feed myself. I want the tools from the lectures.

Cool, but spoons come in different shapes and forms. :ahee:

We are jumping the gun here. Or atleast i am. I need to get into medicine first! believe me, i respect how hard it is to get in, and am taking nothing for granted and would not be surprised with four rejections! This does not mean i sit on the chair and do nothing, no, it means i give myself the best chance i can, and leave it to God.

Good luck, surprise yourself!
Original post by Nator

Don't worry too much if your S1 mark drops a bit, one of my friends got 100ums in C1, C2 and C3 (and probably C4 too) but she dropped to something like 83/100ums, a lot of people don't do as well on their applied modules as core.
That's because an unbiased opinion is logically impossible. :wink:

Yeah but it's unfair to people considering PBL when they see your post which exaggerates the bad points and misses out the good points. That's why I bothered replying. :p:

Link me to the video please?

Cool, but spoons come in different shapes and forms. :ahee:

Good luck, surprise yourself!

You're right, if people do consider it and read my post, of someone who has not even done pbl, they may swap their descision

:smile: i just wanted to write what i felt, anyone silly enough to make vital descisions based on a random guy on a forum, and not research is a bigger fool than me - and that's saying something!

here's the vid mate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1iEYG14IEI&feature=fvst

this isn't the exact vid, but it was along these lines!
Reply 4552
Original post by Quackers93
Don't worry too much if your S1 mark drops a bit, one of my friends got 100ums in C1, C2 and C3 (and probably C4 too) but she dropped to something like 83/100ums, a lot of people don't do as well on their applied modules as core.

Thanks a lot for the re-assurance :smile: But my C1 mark isn't too great either :frown: But it annoys me how if I read the question I would have been fine, but because if it dropped me by about 25 UMS :mad: Provided C1 and C2 as I predicted, I should have my A* prediction (our school requires an average of 90 in the 2 core modules), but just worried if Cambridge see it as bad as they look at your UMS scores.
You're right, if people do consider it and read my post, of someone who has not even done pbl, they may swap their descision

:smile: i just wanted to write what i felt, anyone silly enough to make vital descisions based on a random guy on a forum, and not research is a bigger fool than me - and that's saying something!

Dude, you've got to stop putting yourself down! Seriously. :p:

here's the vid mate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1iEYG14IEI&feature=fvst

this isn't the exact vid, but it was along these lines!

Thanks, looks good. :biggrin:
Original post by Nator
Thanks a lot for the re-assurance :smile: But my C1 mark isn't too great either :frown: But it annoys me how if I read the question I would have been fine, but because if it dropped me by about 25 UMS :mad: Provided C1 and C2 as I predicted, I should have my A* prediction (our school requires an average of 90 in the 2 core modules), but just worried if Cambridge see it as bad as they look at your UMS scores.

fair enough.
Dude, you've got to stop putting yourself down! Seriously. :p:

Thanks, looks good. :biggrin:

I'm supersitious in the sense that if i say anything good about myself, i lose it.

if i tell you my grades, i'll get bad ones

if i say i've done well i'll do badly

if i say i want to get in, i won't

if i say i want to apply to x y z e universities, i won't get in

irrational, but yeah.
i just don't want anyone to be put down, even though no-one will be put down by my well below average qualifications...
Reply 4556
Could someone post a link to the ocr c1 and c2 mark schemes? Sorry if I'm being thick, I can't find them- I'm new to TSR :smile:
I'm supersitious in the sense that if i say anything good about myself, i lose it.

if i tell you my grades, i'll get bad ones

if i say i've done well i'll do badly

if i say i want to get in, i won't

if i say i want to apply to x y z e universities, i won't get in

irrational, but yeah.
i just don't want anyone to be put down, even though no-one will be put down by my well below average qualifications...

Awww, that's sweet. :smile: I see where you're coming from but there's a danger that you'll end up thinking about yourself negatively.
Hey, I'm studying Bio Chem and Maths, just dropped RS

Looking to apply to Sheffield Notts Leeds Soton/Newcastle

Got my UKCAT all booked. Just struggling to write my PS now. Got a list of what I can put in it but don't know how to start.. any ideas?

(Been stalking this page for a while now but finally decided to register)
Reply 4559
Original post by sablarrr
I heard that they were going to change some aspects of the course (not sure), due to complaints. There's actually quite a good blog about manc, written by a med student:

http://thelittlemedic.blogspot.com/2008/07/reflections-on-5-years.html

It basically discourages anyone from ever applying to manchester :s-smilie:

oo he doesn't seem too happy. :/ god there's so much to think about!

Latest

Trending

Trending