The Student Room Group

OCR Physics B G495 Field and Particle Pictures June 21st 2011 Exam Thread

Scroll to see replies

ughhhhhhhhh i hate this exam.
i mean.... I REALLY HATE THIS EXAM.
Original post by Birkatron
haha i guess, maybe whoever set it just fancied being really mean.:rolleyes:

It's a ridiculous question. Hey OCR B physics, why don't you ask us some physics questions? Preferably questions that coincides with your damn (almost non-existent) syllabus! :mad:
Reply 223
trying to guess whats most likely to come up in sec B, it's futile i know because they're bound to ask us stuff that has no relation to what we have been doing because it's OCR B!! :| but maybe nuclear reactors? what about feynman diagrams blerghhhh.
trying to guess whats most likely to come up in sec B, it's futile i know because they're bound to ask us stuff that has no relation to what we have been doing because it's OCR B!! :| but maybe nuclear reactors? what about feynman diagrams blerghhhh.

It will most likely be a weird paper. Is OCR B the worsT board for physics?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 225
Original post by Summerdays
It will most likely be a weird paper. Is OCR B the worsT board for physics?

sorry, but, grammar nazi here; it may be a science thread but I do lit and am afraid I can't refrain... :tongue:
Original post by JoeCarr
sorry, but, grammar nazi here; it may be a science thread but I do lit and am afraid I can't refrain... :tongue:

Haha, thank you for informing me. I am also very petty about grammar.
Reply 227
haha, I don't mind typos but that stood out like a sore thumb to me :colondollar:

and yeh, the section C in January was good with the exception of that exponential part :P
Original post by JoeCarr
haha, I don't mind typos but that stood out like a sore thumb to me :colondollar:

and yeh, the section C in January was good with the exception of that exponential part :P

I must be the only person who didn't like that section C :redface:

But the section C from June 2010 was a blessing :biggrin:
Reply 229
I must be the only person who didn't like that section C :redface:

But the section C from June 2010 was a blessing :biggrin:

But just think how much more prepared you are after those questions for this advance notice, compared to ones you are looking at with no prep :smile:
Original post by JoeCarr
But just think how much more prepared you are after those questions for this advance notice, compared to ones you are looking at with no prep :smile:

Hmm, that's true. I just hope we get an easy, straight-forward paper on tuesday. I really, really need an A in physics!
Reply 231
im stuck, could anybody please explain Q 10 c) ii) is that equation:

dose rate = (activity x energy x q )/m. something we should know, plus is it any different from absorbed does = (energy x q)/m
Reply 232

dose rate = (activity x energy x q )/m. something we should know, plus is it any different from absorbed does = (energy x q)/m

without checking the paper, i'd say just remember absorbed dose is energy*quality/mass (which is also given in the formula booklet), and that activity is rate of decay (units = s^-1) so multiplying the absorbed dose by the activity gives you the 'dose rate'. :smile:
Reply 233
yeah our teacher told us how to test for exponential relationships basically y0/y1 = y1/y2 and etc, as for coming up with the equation im not sure but do you do A level maths because you'll have done differential equations in that??

Please tell me this was a lesson we had when I wasn't there? :/ I don't remember about this at all! I thought exponential was where it decreases in proportion to the amount remaining or something along those lines? :s-smilie:

Hmm, that's true. I just hope we get an easy, straight-forward paper on tuesday. I really, really need an A in physics!

Mind you, if it's really easy the grade boundaries might plumet!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 234
Original post by JoeCarr
without checking the paper, i'd say just remember absorbed dose is energy*quality/mass (which is also given in the formula booklet), and that activity is rate of decay (units = s^-1) so multiplying the absorbed dose by the activity gives you the 'dose rate'. :smile:

ahaa thankyou!! oops i forgot to include the paper hahah http://www.northumberlandvtle.net/files/media/planner/88784/2864%20Fields%20Jan%202006%20QP.pdf i think that should work

energy x q/m = effective dose, not ABSORBED dose.

How I think of it is that the activity gives you the number of disintegrations per econd, which means it tells you the amount of the particular radition particle (determined by the effective factor, q.) So it tells you how frequently a body/organ of mass M is absorbing a particle with energy E with an effective factor q (which takes into acount it's range/penetration and ionisation ability.)
This is probably going to end up being the exam where I'll have revised the least. Then again, about half of the unit is on really easy stuff like radiation dosage and binding energy.
Original post by Unkempt_One
This is probably going to end up being the exam where I'll have revised the least. Then again, about half of the unit is on really easy stuff like radiation dosage and binding energy.

You are in for a rude awakening on exam day :s-smilie:
You are in for a rude awakening on exam day :s-smilie:

I'm sure I'll be fine, I've done well on the past papers I did.
Reply 239
Original post by Unkempt_One
I'm sure I'll be fine, I've done well on the past papers I did.

hmmmm.

Quick Reply