The Student Room Group

Stalling on Hill Starts.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luke0011
Was that not illegal then?

And it's pretty easy to stall when you go from a diesel to a petrol.

Of course it was... who cares, I've got a friend who drives around on a provisional for two years and hasn't been caught... loads of people do it !

Once again, no it's not. Biting point is the biting point, it's different on all cars, but when you're there you're there !
Reply 41
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Of course it was... who cares, I've got a friend who drives around on a provisional for two years and hasn't been caught... loads of people do it !

Once again, no it's not. Biting point is the biting point, it's different on all cars, but when you're there you're there !

Loads of people do not do it.

And if you're used to having a certain biting point, then when you change cars you're bound to go fast to where you think the biting point is at one point, and go too far for the car you're in.

Also, diesels are more forgiving with clutch control, as someone's already said I think. So i've had to take it a lot slower with the clutch.
Make sure you hear the noise of the engine when looking for the bite - it should growl a little. Make it a bit louder than normal, and wait for the front of the car to rise up a little. Then set the gas. You should be fine. If you stall, keep calm! Handbrake on, switch engine off, into netural.
Reply 43
Just move the car to the biting point and give the car a bit of acceleration, then take the handbrake off and drive on.
Reply 44
Not mentioned, but worth trying, is leave a pair of light thin soled shoes in the car for driving. This will make it easier to feel the clutch through your left foot, you will also find, if you later start driving long distances, that it is far more comfortable on a long trip. If you drive for more than about six hours in a day (with breaks) you tend to find your right foot going to sleep, light loose shoes make driving in general easier.

Other than the above embrace automatics, the most relaxing way to drive albeit not the most interesting.
Original post by Luke0011
Loads of people do not do it.

And if you're used to having a certain biting point, then when you change cars you're bound to go fast to where you think the biting point is at one point, and go too far for the car you're in.

Also, diesels are more forgiving with clutch control, as someone's already said I think. So i've had to take it a lot slower with the clutch.

Might I add a lot of people I know do it... :smile:

Tbh if you struggle with the transition you need some more lessons...
Original post by JCM
Just move the car to the biting point and give the car a bit of acceleration, then take the handbrake off and drive on.

Yeah, a lot of people in this thread don't think this is correct, don't ask me why !?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
Might I add a lot of people I know do it... :smile:

Tbh if you struggle with the transition you need some more lessons...

I obviously don't need more lessons, because I was deemed to be a safe driver when I passed my test.

By the way everyone, thanks for all the advice. I was just rushing a bit with the clutch, and now that I'm taking my time with it, i'm finding it a lot better :smile:
Reply 48
I'm not saying I'm experienced, it has nothing to do with experience. Whoopdedoo you've drove 10-15 different cars, aren't you a total badman!

Oh, I'm not the one who said more gas solves the problem, so I'll ignore that last section of the paragraph because I already know that :smile:

I don't care if people stall with a license, I care that because I myself don't have a license people seem to think I don't know what I'm talking about. I have not stalled since first lesson, if you stall there must be something wrong with you. How can you forget to clutch down? Really?...lol

You stated that you'd driven two whole different cars, one petrol and one diesel, which seemed to make you the authority on the differences between the two. My point was that I've driven a lot more, and a lot more varied cars than you, and have a lot more experience. I believe you did say more gas solves the problem - 'So when I say more gas, I think that IT IS the answer' - so you blatantly didn't know that :rolleyes:

I didn't say that I stalled - I haven't stalled my Mog in the year that I've owned it and the Land Rover was pretty much impossible to stall even if you tried so I didn't stall that either. I'm saying that stalling happens - sometimes you're not concentrating or you just misjudge things and you stall. Big deal. You're the kind of cocky driver who'll wrap your car around a tree/kill someone less than 6 months after you pass. You do not know it all. You are not a good driver because you don't stall. Driving 2 and a half tons of steel for my first year of driving, and driving a car with no power, bad brakes and skinny tyres for my second year has taught me a lot about respecting the vehicle I drive, something you don't understand and won't until you've written your cars off a few times.
Reply 49
I knew how to drive before my lessons, I haven't been in a car on my own, but I have with friends.

Besides my instructor doesn't tell me what to do anyway, it's all common sense. I told him to let me do things my way and if I go wrong then he can criticize, rather than constantly telling me to do this and that :smile:

If its all common sense why do people take lessons? Why do you take lessons? You think you are brilliant and that is the reason you will end up failing your test... you will be over confident and think that nothing will go wrong.
Be realistic. It's not common sense if you have to learn it.
Original post by AllanMcG
If its all common sense why do people take lessons? Why do you take lessons? You think you are brilliant and that is the reason you will end up failing your test... you will be over confident and think that nothing will go wrong.
Be realistic. It's not common sense if you have to learn it.

It's common sense to know to use a bit more gas when driving a petrol over a diesel...

Your response "It's not common sense if you have to learn it"

My response - Since when did you have to re-learn how to drive a petrol after driving a diesel ... you don't :smile:
Reply 51
It's common sense to know to use a bit more gas when driving a petrol over a diesel...

Your response "It's not common sense if you have to learn it"

My response - Since when did you have to re-learn how to drive a petrol after driving a diesel ... you don't :smile:

You might not have to properly learn it again switching from a diesel to a petrol but it would take a bit of getting used to for the first few days.
Reply 52
I meant to say "But after passing?" - As if to say fair enough stall on lessons, but after passing lmao?... get it.

Just letting you know I passed my mock driving test

I passed every single mock I did, in the weeks before my first test. Got 4 majors and 5 minors.

Moral of the story? Don't be cocky.
And always look left.
Original post by escape
I passed every single mock I did, in the weeks before my first test. Got 4 majors and 5 minors.

Moral of the story? Don't be cocky.
And always look left.

4 majors and 5 minors, you're just a **** driver then. And I always look left, there's not much to driving.

Turn left- central + left mirror...

Central and right once turnt, so easy man !
A hill start is like starting like on a normal road, but starting twice if you get my gist. ie: you rev between 1000 and 2000 RPM, bring your clutch up a bit so that the needle falls and then rev a bit more, bring the clutch up just a little bit more and you should be fine.
Reply 55
4 majors and 5 minors, you're just a **** driver then. And I always look left, there's not much to driving.

Turn left- central + left mirror...

Central and right once turnt, so easy man !

You've never had to do it when you're actually doing the test, nerves may get to you, make you do things wrong. forget to do certain things.
Reply 56
I know. I'm not a **** driver, I cocked up my test. It was the worst driving I'd ever done. Breakdown of the majors:
1. Pulling out of the test centre and not checking the pavement to my left was clear (it was, but apparently that's irrelevant)
2. Not checking to my left during the turn in the road.
3. Not looking left at a junction where I could only turn left. (If that sounds ridiculous, I had it in my head it was a one way street and that traffic would only be coming from my right)
4. Pulling round a car that was reversing into a space on the main road.

2 minors for stalling (once at lights and one at a t junction)
1 for taking 5 rather than three stages in the turn in the road
1 for going 32 in a 30 zone

I hadn't stalled since about my 4th lesson. Both times it was a hill start, something I do everytime I leave my house!

I just had a bad day.
Reply 57
Practise getting your biting point. Get your instructor to get you to do just that and move off on a variety of surfaces and slopes until you know exactly what it feels and sounds like.

On a hill start find your biting point, give it more gas than usual, handbrake off and smoooooothly bring your clutch up. Do not change up to second gear too early, if the hill is steep play it safe and wait til it flattens before going to second.

My dad taught me to do hill starts using just the accelerator and clutch. Obviously not something you should do on the test if you have to stop, but it did teach me clutch control.
I have NOT passed my test yet. I have passed a mock test, of which I've had around 13 lessons prior to that, I have only stalled twice on my first lesson. Stop using " You haven't passed" as your defence, because quite frankly you're making yourself sound worse by admitting to stalling with a full UK driving license !!

Lmao

All this coming from a guy who posted on the forum about a year ago saying you have passed the practical test.. hmmm LOL at you.
Reply 59
Original post by brendanb581
All this coming from a guy who posted on the forum about a year ago saying you have passed the practical test.. hmmm LOL at you.

LMAO... busted!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending