The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Medicine Man
It’s completely different (ish) to teaching in medical school when they actually stop to talk things through with you and ask you questions and let you get involved and stuff. Don't get me wrong, some days of my work experience were quite hands on but most of the two week slots on both my work experiences involved just sitting in listening to the consultant do his job and talking to him about medicine/other random stuff (usually football or music related) during our lunch breaks.

You're meant to be noticing the way they talk to patients and how they handle things under pressure and how they deal with their colleagues and stuff anyway. Medical schools won't be expecting you to have done the most intricate of details or seen the rarest operation ever.

how'd you get experience with a consultant?

is it ok if i contact the hospital and ask for some email adresses?
Original post by im no superman
It won't get that competitive.

Well...unless population continues to grow, but then more people will mean we need more doctors. Perhaps an increase in the need for doctors will ofset the increase in applicants to medical school?

Either way, it should be a maximum of two children per couple.

Yeah obviously but thats not why its funny (or not why i found it funny). theres obviously an element of exaggeration but that wasnt the point...
but it seems the conclusion to your argument if it can be called that, is that we should not apply to 'competitive' universities. Let me say, ALL universities are competitive, - check the admissions statistics. All of them are more or less the same.

They're not, the applicant : place ratios vary significantly between some medical schools.
Original post by ScotlandLiv
That is my main argument, the majortity of people were heavily influenced by parents perhaps because they were doctors themselves. The decision must be your own to apply for medicine or as I have seen, your chances seem rather low.

I accept that all Universities are competitive for medicine, but surely despite statistics, Cambridge and a few others are generally viewed as being a step above the others, for any course.

:smile: not entirely correct there

^^ unlike other degrees, a medical degree from cambridge is no better than a medical degree from any other university

i'm sorry but it's a different ball game. when a patient is having a heart attack or is very ill, prestige nonsense goes out of the window

i strengthen my point by stating this: your employer does not know which university you went to!(for medical degrees)

They are GMC certified.

But yes, different courses are different, it's up to the individual to pick their favourite course.

^^ You could HATE cambridges course, but love another. Both get you to a medical degree, but different ways
Original post by Normandy114
They're not, the applicant : place ratios vary significantly between some medical schools.

quote me a significant difference, in this year?
quote me a significant difference, in this year?

I don't have any data from this year, but apparently a couple years ago for Queen's Belfast the ratio was 3:1, whereas Bristol had 17:1.
how'd you get experience with a consultant?

is it ok if i contact the hospital and ask for some email adresses?

I sent letters to loads of hospital departments (mainly neurology as I was then very interested in that) and just waited. Eventually got lucky. People have said in the past its easier to ring consultant's secretaries but I can't think of many things more annoying for them than having loads of uber keen 17/18 years olds all ringing for some work experience.

Just send letters and emails out. You will eventually get something.
I don't have any data from this year, but apparently a couple years ago for Queen's Belfast the ratio was 3:1, whereas Bristol had 17:1.

Leeds have 3600 applicants for 223 places :eek:

A: That was a few years ago
B: Can you provide me proof, for the last years cohort, that shows a major significant difference?
C. Graduate and normal entry differ greatly...but they are two seperate procedures.

^^
Original post by Medicine Man
I sent letters to loads of hospital departments (mainly neurology as I was then very interested in that) and just waited. Eventually got lucky. People have said in the past its easier to ring consultant's secretaries but I can't think of many things more annoying for them than having loads of uber keen 17/18 years olds all ringing for some work experience.

Just send letters and emails out. You will eventually get something.

Thanks!

last question !

As all hospitals have ONE post code, how do i adress it to one specific consultant?
Thanks!

last question !

As all hospitals have ONE post code, how do i adress it to one specific consultant?

I just found their name on the hospital website and put that on the envelope. I realise that makes me sound extremely stalker-ish, but it worked...
A: That was a few years ago
B: Can you provide me proof, for the last years cohort, that shows a major significant difference?
C. Graduate and normal entry differ greatly...but they are two seperate procedures.

^^

A: This is information for 2010 entry, not exactly decades ago.
B: No, but that's because there is not much accumulated data from last year yet.
C: (not sure of your point here)
im no 2312056
:smile: not entirely correct there

^^ unlike other degrees, a medical degree from cambridge is no better than a medical degree from any other university

i'm sorry but it's a different ball game. when a patient is having a heart attack or is very ill, prestige nonsense goes out of the window

i strengthen my point by stating this: your employer does not know which university you went to!(for medical degrees)

They are GMC certified.

But yes, different courses are different, it's up to the individual to pick their favourite course.

^^ You could HATE cambridges course, but love another. Both get you to a medical degree, but different ways

I think you have missed the point of my argument to some extent.

medicine is certainly competitive and respected from any university.

the number of people on this thread that speak as if they have already got a place is astonishing. The stastics you yourself refer too surely proves that it is not that easy and as my experience shows, many people will end up being disapointed despite their academic ability.

The point im trying to make is that the desire has to be there, and any person lacking that I personally think is going to struggle. The influence of media/social status/ parents in choosing to apply and not your own decision has proven in my school to be detrimental for the majority.
(edited 12 years ago)
Does putting calpol up your ass count?
I think you have missed the point of my argument to some extent.

medicine is certainly competitive and respected from any university.

the number of people on this thread that speak as if they have already got a place is astonishing. The stastics you yourself refer too surely proves that it is not that easy and as my experience shows, many people will end up being disapointed despite their academic ability.

The point im trying to make is that the desire has to be there, and any person lacking that I personally think is going to struggle. The influence of media/social status/ parents in choosing to become apply and not your own decision has proven in my school to be detrimental for the majority.

:smile: I only disagreed with you on your point of medical schools being better than each other. Yes, some are more established, but each teaches you core curriculum and makes you a competant doctor - they have to!

Don't look at medicine like any other degree, where the university gives an advantage.

Yes, there may be SOME advantage - but all universities have their advantages!

Other than this simple point, i absolutely agree with your last paragraph. I am taking NOTHING for granted, i know i will face 4 rejections, that is very likely, i must respect the course, and not be arrogant, but very very careful

this does not mean i can not apply to ucl, if i feel i like the course and meet the reqs...because prestige and places offered = not the same!

:smile: ^^ won't be applying to ucl anyway
A: This is information for 2010 entry, not exactly decades ago.
B: No, but that's because there is not much accumulated data from last year yet.
C: (not sure of your point here)

D. sorry, i am just trying to get used to those exams lol, that require analytical approach. i am rubbish:frown:

see?

but i was not wrong either, admissions do not siginificantly differ based on 'prestige'

infact, cambridge has less applicants - places than leeds.

prestige and quality education in terms of MEDICINE = non-existant really.
:smile: I only disagreed with you on your point of medical schools being better than each other. Yes, some are more established, but each teaches you core curriculum and makes you a competant doctor - they have to!

Don't look at medicine like any other degree, where the university gives an advantage.

Yes, there may be SOME advantage - but all universities have their advantages!

Other than this simple point, i absolutely agree with your last paragraph. I am taking NOTHING for granted, i know i will face 4 rejections, that is very likely, i must respect the course, and not be arrogant, but very very careful

this does not mean i can not apply to ucl, if i feel i like the course and meet the reqs...because prestige and places offered = not the same!

:smile: ^^ won't be applying to ucl anyway

Ok :smile: my argument was based on the idea that people were applying too the 'prestigious' universities and not considering other medical schools that clearly provide the same.

Others have not considered their choices as appropriately as yourself. I applaud you for recognising that each universitiy provides the core but will provide a different experience. Based on some comments people have missed this idea completely and gone for the UCL's and what are viewed GENERALLY as the better universities outside medicine.

Good luck in your application
Ok :smile: my argument was based on the idea that people were applying too the 'prestigious' universities and not considering other medical schools that clearly provide the same.

Others have not considered their choices as appropriately as yourself. I applaud you for recognising that each universitiy provides the core but will provide a different experience. Based on some comments people have missed this idea completely and gone for the UCL's and what are viewed GENERALLY as the better universities outside medicine.

Good luck in your application

I disagree with the praise you've given to me, but fully accept that many go for the 'name' and prestige.

:smile: medicine is a different ball game!

^^ sorry for not reading your argument properly, i just assume you were on of those people , but you werent.

thank you! i will definitley need luck! A LOT OF IT.

=) chances are i won't get in, but i will do the best that i can do - can anyone blame me then?
I disagree with the praise you've given to me, but fully accept that many go for the 'name' and prestige.

:smile: medicine is a different ball game!

^^ sorry for not reading your argument properly, i just assume you were on of those people , but you werent.

thank you! i will definitley need luck! A LOT OF IT.

=) chances are i won't get in, but i will do the best that i can do - can anyone blame me then?

Glad I'm not the only one who's feeling depressed about the whole application process :s-smilie:
Original post by MrsNorthman
Glad I'm not the only one who's feeling depressed about the whole application process :s-smilie:

can garuentee you, we all are feeling the same. The sensible ones at-least
(though i am not sensible, but the exeption as i am feeling nervous)

Latest

Trending

Trending