The Student Room Group

OCR Physics B G495 Field and Particle Pictures June 21st 2011 Exam Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unkempt_One
I'm sure I'll be fine, I've done well on the past papers I did.

How many did you do? What's your typical mark?
Original post by Summerdays
How many did you do? What's your typical mark?

About 4 or 5, my typical mark is about 85-95%
Original post by Unkempt_One
About 4 or 5, my typical mark is about 85-95%

Well done then :smile:, but try to do a few more 'til exam day. I have learned so much stuff (that we apparently need to know but is NEVER mentioned in ANY of the physic textbooks) by doing the past papers. How are you with section C?
Original post by Summerdays
Well done then :smile:, but try to do a few more 'til exam day. I have learned so much stuff (that we apparently need to know but is NEVER mentioned in ANY of the physic textbooks) by doing the past papers. How are you with section C?

I was given a set of questions by my school and did those.
Reply 244
Absolutely bricking it for this exam- I need an A or I'm not going to uni and I seem to lose marks all over the place on section B >___<

And I also have to concentrate on M4 and FP1 which are scheduled for the same time on Wednesday.
Somebody in the exam timetabling office hates me.
Reply 245
could somebody please post a link to questions and answers on the article? i have one day to revise, really starting to panick now! also have a totally different exam tomorrow to be worried about! sheeeeeeeet, im off to bed! but yeah id really appreciate if somebody could do that, you can have all my +rep or whatever!!
Original post by 41jms
could somebody please post a link to questions and answers on the article? i have one day to revise, really starting to panick now! also have a totally different exam tomorrow to be worried about! sheeeeeeeet, im off to bed! but yeah id really appreciate if somebody could do that, you can have all my +rep or whatever!!

Scroll through the first few pages, there's been 2 different sets of questions/answers posted so far.
maybe i'm being stupid, but i just can't figure it out. why on Q1c of the section c practice paper that has been posted does the '%uncertainty in t^2 = 2 x %uncertainty in t' ?!
Reply 248
I've just got like 64 for my past papers no ..! I need 80 to get in uni. God bless me!!
so regret that I didn't study much on this paper..
I would like to hv the mark sceme for feb11 paper, anyone got it??
Reply 249
Original post by disco.disco
maybe i'm being stupid, but i just can't figure it out. why on Q1c of the section c practice paper that has been posted does the '%uncertainty in t^2 = 2 x %uncertainty in t' ?!

when you square a value with an uncertainty, your uncertainty for the new value is doubled, it's just a rule of uncertainties. :smile:
Reply 250
For the specimen paper I don't get 9b, or at least where half the numbers the mark scheme are using come from...

Help anybody, please?

*shakes fist* OCR B! *shakes fist*
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 251
Original post by JoeCarr
when you square a value with an uncertainty, your uncertainty for the new value is doubled, it's just a rule of uncertainties. :smile:

I'm glad you posted that, I'd done a question where the answer hadn't needed to double the percentage uncertainty but I was sure I was right hahah! I'm pleased to see there's one thing I haven't forgotten! ^_^
Reply 252
Original post by emzaz
I'm glad you posted that, I'd done a question where the answer hadn't needed to double the percentage uncertainty but I was sure I was right hahah! I'm pleased to see there's one thing I haven't forgotten! ^_^

aha, no worries :biggrin:
Original post by Corkscrew
For the specimen paper I don't get 9b, or at least where half the numbers the mark scheme are using come from...

And also 10.bii

Help anybody, please?

*shakes fist* OCR B! *shakes fist*

I found some discrepancies between the paper and the mark scheme when I did that question.

We know that: A = lambda x N, where lambda is the decay constant and N the number of nuclei.

To find N, the number of nuclei, we need to find the mass of the sample and divide that the mass of one nucleus, so N = mass of sample / mass of nucleus

To find the mass of the nucleus, use the atomic mass number of hafnium-178 (178) and the atomic mass unit (u), which is approximately equal to both the mass of one neutron or one neutron. Therefore, the mass of a nucleus = 178 x u = 3E-25kg

Subbing that back into N = mass of sample / mass of nucleus (where the mass of the sample is 5ng = 5E-12kg) gives:

N = 5E-12 / 3E-25 = 1.7E13

Therefore, going back to A = lambda x N and subbing in the given value for lambda:

A = 7.1E-10 x 1.7E16 = 1.2E7
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 254
Original post by macleod.mac
I found some discrepancies between the paper and the mark scheme when I did that question.

We know that: A = lambda x N, where lambda is the decay constant and N the number of nuclei.

To find N, the number of nuclei, we need to find the mass of the sample and divide that the mass of one nucleus, so N = mass of sample / mass of nucleus

To find the mass of the nucleus, use the atomic mass number of hafnium-178 (178) and the atomic mass unit (u), which is approximately equal to both the mass of one neutron or one neutron. Therefore, the mass of a nucleus = 178 x u = 3E-25kg

Subbing that back into N = mass of sample / mass of nucleus (where the mass of the sample is 5ng = 5E-9kg, NOT 5E-12kg as stated in the mark scheme, gives:

N = 5E-9 / 3E-25 = 1.7E16 NOT 1.7E13

Therefore, going back to A = lambda x N and subbing in the given value for lambda:

A = 7.1E-10 x 1.7E16 = 1.2E7

Thanks very much- I missed the bit about multiplying 178 by u!

And I think it is 1.7E13 because the mass is measured in ng not nkg!

Thanks again :smile:
Original post by Corkscrew
Thanks very much- I missed the bit about multiplying 178 by u!

And I think it is 1.7E13 because the mass is measured in ng not nkg!

Thanks again :smile:

That'll be it!

I just assumed the specimen was just crap :wink:
Reply 256
http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=642525&ResourceID=3903515

i just notice this link u guys post earlier.. is there any answer available for this?? help please.. just one day left for me. I am so worried
Original post by wki
http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=642525&ResourceID=3903515

i just notice this link u guys post earlier.. is there any answer available for this?? help please.. just one day left for me. I am so worried

Here:

Reply 258
Original post by wki
I've just got like 64 for my past papers no ..! I need 80 to get in uni. God bless me!!
so regret that I didn't study much on this paper..
I would like to hv the mark sceme for feb11 paper, anyone got it??

Here you go.
Original post by wki

Post 128 on page 7 of this thread.

Bricking it myself atm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending