The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carpet21
Ok I need major reassurance. I've been so caught up with chemistry as I was convinced that was going to be my downfall, that I've done no and I mean NO biology. We haven't had a proper teacher all year so everything on the course is completely new to me and I have Monday and Tuesday to learn it all. How likely is it that I can scrape a D with two days revision??

Look above, that's your reassurance! :awesome:
Ok I need major reassurance. I've been so caught up with chemistry as I was convinced that was going to be my downfall, that I've done no and I mean NO biology. We haven't had a proper teacher all year so everything on the course is completely new to me and I have Monday and Tuesday to learn it all. How likely is it that I can scrape a D with two days revision??

A D? Pretty dooable I would say :tongue:
Reply 962
Original post by laura123
Does anyone know "how the structure of cells is related to their function". Nightmare essay title!

We did this one in class :biggrin:
Wasn't it the shape of the cell, not it's structure?
Some possible cells to talk about are:
- Egg Cells
- Sperm Cells
- Leaf palisade cells
- Rod Cells
- Cone Cells
- Bacterium
They're the only ones I can remember - should get two sides from that? :]

EDIT : I think you could probably put in a bit about red blood cells - for the 'outside of syllabus' marks :]
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Master.K
Look above, that's your reassurance! :awesome:

Haha I only wish I could be as positive as everyone else!

Original post by Cyanohydrin
A D? Pretty dooable I would say :tongue:

Well preferably a C but a D will do. :tongue:

Well you guys made me feel better nevertheless so THAAAANKS. :smile:

There's quite a lot of HSW marks so revise that and genetics, maybe neurones if you have time. You'll be alright- won't get an A by any means, but should scrape a D hopefully!
Original post by student777

Original post by student777
There's quite a lot of HSW marks so revise that and genetics, maybe neurones if you have time. You'll be alright- won't get an A by any means, but should scrape a D hopefully!

Well I was planning on attempting to read the entire module or is that an unrealistic goal? :s-smilie: I literally don't know any of it! And how exactly do you revise HSW?? Past papers?
Haha I only wish I could be as positive as everyone else!

Well preferably a C but a D will do. :tongue:

Well you guys made me feel better nevertheless so THAAAANKS. :smile:

Yeah I need a C for an overall A. You should be fine.
Well I was planning on attempting to read the entire module or is that an unrealistic goal? :s-smilie: I literally don't know any of it! And how exactly do you revise HSW?? Past papers?

Maybe read over the CGP revision guide and then if there's things you don't get, look it up in the NT text book? That was my plan. :redface:
Original post by OriginOfShowbiz

Original post by OriginOfShowbiz
Maybe read over the CGP revision guide and then if there's things you don't get, look it up in the NT text book? That was my plan. :redface:

I wish I could but I don't have it! There's so much less to read in there.

God I'm going to be a hopeless student if I ever get into uni. :rofl:
I wish I could but I don't have it! There's so much less to read in there.

God I'm going to be a hopeless student if I ever get into uni. :rofl:

Maybe run down and buy it tomorrow morning? I find it really useful! Believe me, I know the feeling, just be positive and try to push through these next two days. (If only I could take my own advice..)

Edit:
This might not work for everyone, but they have some decent videos on youtube explaining some of the topics.. They're not very detailed, but I use them to get the gist, then reinforce and build on what I already know by going over it in the book when I'm rushed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 970
hey whats the difference between totipotent and undifferetiated cell
Original post by angel1992
hey whats the difference between totipotent and undifferetiated cell

None, a totipotent is a undifferentiated cell.
Reply 972
Any suggestions on the best way to prepare for the essay? So far I've been briefly revising the main As processes but I don't feel as prepared as I'd like to...
I need to reeeeeeeeeally ace this, I'm determined to get an A* in something.
Original post by Master.K
None, a totipotent is a undifferentiated cell.

As are pluripotent (just slightly less undiffrentiated i.e. they cannot become extraembryonic tissues, but they can become everything else).
Reply 974
Original post by Cyanohydrin
Can I reccomend this excellent video on stem cells for people with 20 minutes to spare....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yCIMk1x0Pk

I cried that was so beautiful. :gthumb:
Reply 975
Am really confused.. what's the difference between ATPase and ATPsynthase? IS there even a difference? What's the difference?! So many questions aaaargh
Original post by flowerscat
Blunt ends = restriction enzyme cuts right through the middle (usually) of the restriction site, leaving two fragments with flush ends (like cutting a strip of paper straight across with sharp scissors)

Sticky ends = restriction enzyme does not cut at the same base on both strands of DNA, thus the cut is "staggered" leaving "sticky" bases on both sides - these bases are called "sticky" because they are not H-bonded, and so will readily H-bond with incoming DNA.

Efficiency of ligation with sticky ends is much higher than with blunt ends.

Advantage of blunt ended ligation is that both the vector and the gene can be cut with a different set of enzymes, yet will still be able to bond to each other. With sticky ends, both vector and gene must be cut with the same restriction enzyme. Though it is possible to control what restriction sites you have on vectors, find the same restriction site on an unknown gene is quiet hard.

Ty very much :smile:
Original post by *Rainbow*
Am really confused.. what's the difference between ATPase and ATPsynthase? IS there even a difference? What's the difference?! So many questions aaaargh

I'd guess ATPase breaks ATP down into ADP and inorganic P.
While ATPsynthase makes ATP by joining ADP with an inorganic P
Reply 978
Original post by FristyKino
I'd guess ATPase breaks ATP down into ADP and inorganic P.
While ATPsynthase makes ATP by joining ADP with an inorganic P

Hey yeah that's what I thought but in my notes It says that ATPase makes ATP and then I googled it and there was contrasting info.

Thanks though!

plus I'm sure my teacher said they were the same thing?
Original post by *Rainbow*
Hey yeah that's what I thought but in my notes It says that ATPase makes ATP and then I googled it and there was contrasting info.

Thanks though!

plus I'm sure my teacher said they were the same thing?

Well i googled it and came across this website and read through the first paragraph. It kinda says that ATPsynthase makes ATP.... but then i saw part of the enzyme structure at the bottom and i saw 'woo enzyme structure - lets scroll down the page and see the whole structure' - one look at the full picture and instantly i thought 'TRANSFORMER!!!'..... totally off-topic but im sure it looks a transformer :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending