The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
Could anyone help me with this question:

Bungaratoxin can be isolated from the venom of the Prugasti krait. In minute amounts, it can cause paralysis of the diaphragm and intercostal muscles by its effects at synapses. Suggest how bungaratoxin causes these effects.

MS answer:
1. ref to prevention of release of neurotransmitter from presynaptic membrane;
2. similar shape (to neurotransmitter);
3. {binds / blocks / fits into} receptor on postsynaptic membrane;
4. ref to {sodium ion / Na+ / cation} channels / hyperpolarisation / permanent depolarisation} of postsynaptic membrane;
5. no nerve impulses / action potentials / continuous action potential / eq;
6. inhibits acetylcholinesterase / breakdown enzyme / (bungarotoxin) not affected by breakdown enzyme;

I don't get it as if the Bungaratoxin has a similar shape to the neurotransmitter, then it would do the same effect as that neurotransmitter, or no?

I put that it's complementary to the the neurotransmitter, so binds to it and prevents as many binding to receptors on the post-synaptic membrane.

it could be an inhibitory neurotransmitter the same shape as the neurotransmitter? So it prevents the impulse being transmitted to the post synaptic membrane? :smile:
Do you guys know the process of alcoholic and lactate fermentation?

do we need to know it? (to do with regeneration of NAD+)

p.s im not looking for you to explain it, dw !
Original post by High As A Kite

lactate, yes
alcohol, no
Original post by chemdweeb1234
lactate, yes
alcohol, no

thanks for the reply. :smile:

i'm guessing thats from the spec, right? anything else edexcel like to fill our textbook with which we dont actually need to know?
Reply 2084

The only thing I'm aware we need to know to do with lactate is anaerobic respiration.

And that's just that as you say, converting pyruvate to lactate regenerates NAD to then be used again in glycolysis.
Reply 2085
Original post by claire4095
it could be an inhibitory neurotransmitter the same shape as the neurotransmitter? So it prevents the impulse being transmitted to the post synaptic membrane? :smile:

I guess it would work in the same way as MDMA... except it blocks the post synaptic membrane, not the presynaptic membrane.
chemiosmotic theory of ATP?

is that needed?

is that needed?

yep, thats the huge bit on oxidative phosphorylation under the respiration topic.
Reply 2088

is that needed?

If you mean chemiosmosis... then yes; you need to know it as part of oxidative phosphorylation which is part of aerobic respiration.
Reply 2089
Done too much of article. i think spend next 2 days over topic 7 and 8.
Original post by AGM
I guess it would work in the same way as MDMA... except it blocks the post synaptic membrane, not the presynaptic membrane.

Does ecstacy block membranes? I thought it just blocked/binded to the transporter molecule that takes the neurotansmitter back up to the presynaptic membrane? or reversed the effects of the molecule and brings more serotonin in the synaptic cleft? :/ confusedd :frown:
xx lol
Reply 2091
Original post by claire4095
Does ecstacy block membranes? I thought it just blocked/binded to the transporter molecule that takes the neurotansmitter back up to the presynaptic membrane? or reversed the effects of the molecule and brings more serotonin in the synaptic cleft? :/ confusedd :frown:
xx lol

All I have down is that it inhibits the re-uptake mechanism due to the fact it has a similar shape to serotonin. I'm sure you are also right, but just in more depth :smile:
Original post by AGM
All I have down is that it inhibits the re-uptake mechanism due to the fact it has a similar shape to serotonin. I'm sure you are also right, but just in more depth :smile:

yeahh lol i think were both right :smile: YAY! Good luck x
Are people nervous about this paper, I am
Original post by darkiee
Are people nervous about this paper, I am

I am brickin it. And it doesn't help bio 4 went ****, this exam is do or die for me. Got two exams tmrw as well, which ruins the revision for this one. :mad: Well one of them is General studies so it technically doesn't count, but its a waste of 2-3 hours revision time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
I am brickin it. And it doesn't help bio 4 went ****, this exam is do or die for me. Got two exams tmrw as well, which ruins the revision for this one. :mad: Well one of them is General studies so it technically doesn't count, but its a waste of 2-3 hours revision time.

Its a morning paper as well, wished it was afternoon so bad
Original post by darkiee
Its a morning paper as well, wished it was afternoon so bad

Not too bothered about that as I seem to do better on morning papers for some reason. I seem to get really tired out by the afternoon when exam's are on. But yeah I know what you mean, lot more revision time.
Reply 2097
they dont tell you in the case study quesions (page blah blah pargraph blah blah) do they?
i hope things to do with IAA doesnt come out at all and auxin, I want phytochrome but nor auxin or iaa
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2099
Can someone please explain to me the difference between Chemiosmosis and Oxidative Phosphorylation? I seem to have all of the information under Oxidative Phosphorylation :frown:

Also, what are the products for Glycolysis and the Krebs Cycle?

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending