The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2120
thanx but what do they mean with 'taxi cab'?? i never understood that
Original post by haydyb123
Primary response will be that you have the old Macrophages recognizing the pathogens antigens as being 'non-self', undergoes phagocytosis and the macrophage will present the antigen by becoming a APC (forms a major histocompability complex MHC)

T-helper with complementary receptors bind to APC and releases cytokines, and this stimulates clonal selection of the B-lymphocytes.

B-lymphocytes specific to that pathogen will differentiate into plasma cells secreting complementary antibodies, and of course there will be some memory cells.

Now the main thing is that, perhaps in the first infection the "taxicab will release its payload" however, when it comes to secondary infection:

The memory cells are present and can respond quickly to the same pathogen, thus reducing the chance that the second dose of gene therapy will work.
Original post by hassib
thanx but what do they mean with 'taxi cab'?? i never understood that

It's a metaphor for the virus, implying that the virus carries the new gene as a passenger :smile:
My head is going to explode :frown:
Original post by hassib
Blood and urine of athletes are routinely tested at every competition.Suggest why two samples are taken of each blood and urine????

1. For reliability purposes.... if they take two repeat measurements, and the results are concordant more likely that the data is representative and more likely that other people will believe the tests
2. To make sure that there wasnt any false positives or negatives
Reply 2124
The ways the muscle performance can be enhanced!
1-injection of EPO
2-Genetherapy using virus as vector to transfer the gene for EPO
3-gene therapy using IGF-1 to enhance muscle size
4-FOXO transcription to supress the gene involved with atrophy
5-antibody therapy
5-blcoking of myostatin (A protein that inhibits muscle growth)
Reply 2125
for the realibiliy why would they not repeat it with urine sample?they repeat the test with blood sample for the second............still for reliablity>
they
Original post by chemdweeb1234
1. For reliability purposes.... if they take two repeat measurements, and the results are concordant more likely that the data is representative and more likely that other people will believe the tests
2. To make sure that there wasnt any false positives or negatives
Reply 2126
Why is it easier for athletes to tamper the results of EPO testing?
Is it becuase the blood volume level is athletes are normally very high and they don't have EPO?
Original post by hassib

Original post by hassib
for the realibiliy why would they not repeat it with urine sample?they repeat the test with blood sample for the second............still for reliablity>
they

It would also have said:

Any drugs taken just before the event would still be in the blood stream at the time of testing so not had time to pass into the urine. Some drugs are broken down by the body as excreted as ordinary products so would not show in urine testing.
Original post by hassib

High altitude training naturally increases red blood cell count, which can appear to be like taking EPO.
hey guys,... i havent touched any unit5 material since so long... what do i have 2 do today nd tomorrow? except revising book nd notes :s

Stressing so much about this exam!
Does anybody know what the core practicals were in these two topics, and whether we need to know them like we did in the other exams? I can remember some of the practicals we done in class, but not whether they were core ones or not!
I'm going to trawl through the thread later, but it seems like the pre release will be based on a lot of genes, muscles and gene therapy, right? :biggrin:
Does anyone know if SNAB takes the answer for amount of ATP made from reduced NAD and FAD to be either ATP = 2.5 red. NAD and ATP = 1.5 red. FAD.
OR ATP = 3 red. NAD and ATP = 2 FAD
Reply 2132
Original post by brendan.
Does anybody know what the core practicals were in these two topics, and whether we need to know them like we did in the other exams? I can remember some of the practicals we done in class, but not whether they were core ones or not!
I'm going to trawl through the thread later, but it seems like the pre release will be based on a lot of genes, muscles and gene therapy, right? :biggrin:

core practicals are investigating respiration using spirometers and investigating habituation (poking snails in the eye)
has anybody got any resting/action potential, synapses or any other topic 8 questions and answers? :smile:
Original post by brendan.

habituation of snails, the spirometer/lung volumes one and measuring the rate of respiration of woodlice (with the soda lime and the respirometer) :smile:
Reply 2135
hate this unit.
Original post by smiffy_83
Well, I've still to revise it!
Although from what I can remember so far:
Transcription factors regulate gene expression. They normally bind to DNA at specific gene sites (different transcription factors bind to different genes).

By binding to the DNA strands they either promote or inhibit transcription of the gene. They do this by preventing the DNA strand from unwinding - RNA ploymerase therefore can't 'read' the strand, or they promote the unwinding of the strand instead and RNA polymerase is free to transcribe at a rapid rate.

Therefore, the rate of protein synthesis is eventually regulated because the amount of mRNA being created is regulated by the above.
:smile:

thanks! im so nervous for this exam! need an A in bio for uni!
I hope core practicals arent synoptic..
hey guys,... i havent touched any unit5 material since so long... what do i have 2 do today nd tomorrow? except revising book nd notes :s

Reply 2139
Original post by Jsmalley1
habituation of snails, the spirometer/lung volumes one and measuring the rate of respiration of woodlice (with the soda lime and the respirometer) :smile:

I realllyy h0pe Habituation 0f Snail Comes! The Q where they ask us to explain how it occurs....

If it does, should b an easy 3 marks in the bag for all of us! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending