The Student Room Group

June 2011 G485-Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by M_I
Lets do this.....I wish the page refreshed itself.

What is electric field strength?

Force per unit positive charge measured in N C^-1.

Original post by Kidms001
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/stuff-quizzes .. :dontknow:

Oh.. Physics based? Errm... Define the parsec. :rofl:

Parsec is the distance of 1AU through a 1 arc second paralax.
Reply 461
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey

Force per unit positive charge measured in N C^-1.

Yep....to the 1st one atleast lol....leave a question when you reply. :smile:
Original post by M_I
Yep....to the 1st one atleast lol....leave a question when you reply. :smile:

Explain Compton Scattering and the Photoelectric effect.

Not quite. A parsec is a distance within its own right. An AU is the average distance from the Earth to the Sun. A parsec is the distance given by a parallax angle of of 1 arcsecond. :h:
Not quite. A parsec is a distance within its own right. An AU is the average distance from the Earth to the Sun. A parsec is the distance given by a parallax angle of of 1 arcsecond. :h:

Its a hard one to define, I could write it in equation form but not define it too well :flutter:
Reply 465
Here you go for the parsec

The long straight line:

That is the distance that gives a parallax angle of 1 arc second
Reply 466
Anyone know what the grade boundaries will be like on this paper? I can't find any online.
If it's the same as G482, about 60-65 for an A, then I should be fine. I'm a little worried otherwise.

Both definitions are equally valid.
Original post by scotzbhoy
Anyone know what the grade boundaries will be like on this paper? I can't find any online.
If it's the same as G482, about 60-65 for an A, then I should be fine. I'm a little worried otherwise.

Last summer was 66/100 for an A, Jan was 65/100 for an A.
Original post by Acta Non Verba
Both definitions are equally valid.

But a parsec doesn't equal an AU... :s-smilie: .. Or am I just being stupid?

it doesn't

So another way of defining a parsec is saying that it is the distance whereby one astronomical unit subtends to an angle of one second of arc, which is essentially what Oh my Ms. Coffey said.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 472
I'd say that was good enough... :dontknow:

The glossary gives it as : The distance that gives a parallax angle of 1 arcsecond :yep:

You should probably mention that the base of the triangle is 1 AU as well.
My definition is:
The length of the long leg of a right-angle triangle when the short leg is 1 AU and the angle between the sun and the earth, as seen from the object 1Pc away, is 1 arcsecond.
Reply 473
Last summer was 66/100 for an A, Jan was 65/100 for an A.

Ok, thats no too bad. I need a B, so I'd say that would be about 60 marks (?), which is most definitely very doable.
Jan 2011
Raw 100 65 57 50 43 36 0
UMS 150 120 105 90 75 60 0
Reply 475
I think we are going to get a long question on x-rays or the gamma camera because Jan 2011 asked for MRI and Jun 2010 asked for ultrsound.

Can someone give me any information on PET and CAT (like the differences between them). :smile:
Reply 476
Guess I should start revising now >_< Oh, how I hate medical physics...
Reply 477
Original post by MarieLyon
I think we are going to get a long question on x-rays or the gamma camera because Jan 2011 asked for MRI and Jun 2010 asked for ultrsound.

Can someone give me any information on PET and CAT (like the differences between them). :smile:

No Feb didn't have anything on MRI, I think that'll come up tomorrow.

Actually, I think you got June 10 and Feb 11 mixed up
Original post by MarieLyon

You do not need the know the differences because they are completely different one uses X rays and the other gamma
And there are very few similarities

more likely to compare similar radiation
Reply 479
meh either way MRI and Ultrsound came up because I was just lookign at both mark schemes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending