The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angel1992
ok so the ends of the gene arent important???

alos does tha mean that restriction endonucleases are ususally used on dna isolated by reverse trancriptase so they are intron free?
Original post by sleungs
Hi people!

Was just wondering... haven't really thought much about the synoptic essay question so wanted to ask what main topics you'd recommend to read up on/ revise?

Get the syllabus - go over Unit 1,2,4 and 5 and pick out key points from each.
So I started today and I'm up to chapter 14...something tells me this isn't effective revision. :rofl:

I'm not going to finish unit five let alone look over any of the synoptic stuff for the essay! :facepalm:
Original post by Cyanohydrin
??

the t-tubules connect the membrane to a protein complex

this protein complex is connected to a sarcoplasmic reticulum

when an action potential passes down the t-tubule and reaches the protein complex it stiumulates the protein complex to signal the release of calcium ions from the sarcoplasmic reticulum

"Thus, the t-tubules are an important determinant of cardiac cell function, especially as the main site of excitation-contraction coupling, ensuring spatially and temporally synchronous Ca2+ release throughout the cell"
Brette and Orchard, Circulation Research. 2003;92:1182

I think different books have slightly different versions of this.
Reply 1084
alos does tha mean that restriction endonucleases are ususally used on dna isolated by reverse trancriptase so they are intron free?

I believe that they can be used on DNA containing exons and introns as restriction endonucleases are specific-its just DNA with only exons is shorter so procedure takes shorter amount of time to carry out :smile:
ok so the ends of the gene arent important???

Left-hand side of gene will have promoter, operator regions

Right-hand side of the gene will have stop codons, usually more than one.

You can cut out the gene in such a way, that when it is reattached to the vector, it will be flanked by promoter on one side (provided by vector) and stop codons on the other side (provided by vector)
Original post by xelaman
I believe that they can be used on DNA containing exons and introns as restriction endonucleases are specific-its just DNA with only exons is shorter so procedure takes shorter amount of time to carry out :smile:

hey yh i understand that but when isolating a gene for insertion into a plasmid you would want it to be intron free, so in these cases i was asking?
red blood cells...?

red blood cells lack any DNA - hence they cannot replicated by mitosis.

DNA in blood comes from white blood cells.
Original post by flowerscat
"Thus, the t-tubules are an important determinant of cardiac cell function, especially as the main site of excitation-contraction coupling, ensuring spatially and temporally synchronous Ca2+ release throughout the cell"
Brette and Orchard, Circulation Research. 2003;92:1182

I think different books have slightly different versions of this.

I don't think that conflicts with what I said :smile:

In the histology of skeletal muscle, a triad is the structure formed by a T tubule with a sarcoplasmic reticulum (SR) known as the terminal cisterna on either side.[1] Each skeletal muscle fiber has many thousands of triads, visible in muscle fibers that have been sectioned longitudinally. (This property holds because T tubules run perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the muscle fiber.) In mammals, triads are typically located at the A-I junction;[1] that is, the junction between the A and I bands of the sarcomere, which is the smallest unit of a muscle fiber.

Triads form the anatomical basis of excitation-contraction coupling, whereby a stimulus excites the muscle and causes it to contract. A stimulus, in the form of positively charged current, is transmitted from the neuromuscular junction down the length of the T tubules, activating dihydropyridine receptors (DHPRs). Their activation causes 1) a negligible influx of calcium and 2) a mechanical interaction with calcium-conducting ryanodine receptors (RyRs) on the adjacent SR membrane. Activation of RyRs causes the release of calcium from the SR, which subsequently initiates a cascade of events leading to muscle contraction. These muscle contractions are caused by calcium unmasking the t-t complex on the actin myofilament and allowing the myosin cross-bridges to connect with the actin.

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072507470/student_view0/chapter9/animation__action_potentials_and_muscle_contraction.html
red blood cells...?

But they don't contain a nucleus...
Left-hand side of gene will have promoter, operator regions

Right-hand side of the gene will have stop codons, usually more than one.

You can cut out the gene in such a way, that when it is reattached to the vector, it will be flanked by promoter on one side (provided by vector) and stop codons on the other side (provided by vector)

oh ok so the vector will techincally make up part of the gene,, clever thankyou
Original post by tehsponge
But they don't contain a nucleus...

in blood there is also white blood cells and other type of blood cells as well, so im guessing that the dna from these is used
red blood cells lack any DNA - hence they cannot replicated by mitosis.

DNA in blood comes from white blood cells.

Thats what I thought. Thanks :smile:
Original post by xelaman

If you are cloning into a vector which will then be inserted into bacteria, then you can only have the coding sequence/exon/pre-spliced mRNA.

If you are cloning into a vector which will then be inserted into another mammalian cell, then it does not matter- mammalian cells possess splicing mechanisms.

Restriction digestion is independent of the length of DNA.
oh ok so the vector will techincally make up part of the gene,, clever thankyou

Yes!!:biggrin:

Signing off now! Happy revising!
Reply 1095

hey yh i understand that but when isolating a gene for insertion into a plasmid you would want it to be intron free, so in these cases i was asking?

I had a flick through my book and it doesnt mention whether DNA does or does not- just that the DNA is inserted with sticky ends into the plasmid- so that it can be synthesised within bacteria like it would be in a normal cell :smile:
Original post by tehsponge
I'm confused. Where is the DNA in the blood found?

white blood cells i'd say.
June 2010 paper question 6 (c) (ii)
how might the insertion of the DNA might have caused cancer??
in this question.....why cant we talk about mutation of proto-oncogenes?? the mark scheme only accepts comments on tummor suppressor gene :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:
Reply 1098
Anybody need help with revising Silding Filament THeory before Wednesday's exam? This vid may be of use

https://www.o2learn.co.uk/o2_video.php?vid=1339
(edited 12 years ago)
in my book nt it says, in vivo is advantageous as it cuts out specific genes not just replicating whole dna samples, but pcr cant replicate whole dna samples, it can only replicate small fragments of dna???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending