The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It will all be worth it in the end though :smile:
Reply 4601
Original post by Medicine Man
I sent letters to loads of hospital departments (mainly neurology as I was then very interested in that) and just waited. Eventually got lucky. People have said in the past its easier to ring consultant's secretaries but I can't think of many things more annoying for them than having loads of uber keen 17/18 years olds all ringing for some work experience.

Just send letters and emails out. You will eventually get something.

I am doing work observation at a hospital and thats the way work experience is organised in my local NHS trust , but i would like to do more is it work still emailing / writing to consultants or would this be pointless and against the hospitals policy?
If I get my 3A's at the end of this year (I got rejected this year :frown: ) I'll apply again with known grades :]]
Fingers crossed though! :'D
Original post by rsp
I am doing work observation at a hospital and thats the way work experience is organised in my local NHS trust , but i would like to do more is it work still emailing / writing to consultants or would this be pointless and against the hospitals policy?

Just stick to the way it is organised within that trust. You're lucky you're going to one that even has a process - most of them just deal with people as and when they write/email in. :p:
Reply 4604
All the best Guys :smile:
UKCAT 3/4 of the 600 UKCAT book finished,

I thought AR is easy, but it's harder than i thought, but nothing i can't do with some more practise, QR is just simple manipulating numbers according to the information, but i'll do some more practise questions from the internet for that. VR and DA are surprisingly easy o_o
Original post by SarahTM
If I get my 3A's at the end of this year (I got rejected this year :frown: ) I'll apply again with known grades :]]
Fingers crossed though! :'D

Your sig is so true :') I could have murdered whoever sent out all those emails, I'm sure it was just to annoy us lol Aberdeen did the same too which I really didnt appreciate :tongue:
Original post by Quackers93
Your sig is so true :') I could have murdered whoever sent out all those emails, I'm sure it was just to annoy us lol Aberdeen did the same too which I really didnt appreciate :tongue:

Haha, thanks :'D
It's like OMG interview!!! *open email* come to an open day -_-
I actually love yours too :'] did you get in this year? :]
Reply 4608
Hey im new to TSR, but see that people have been talking about admissions statistics, does anyone know where i can get these from?

i want to apply to the supposedly 'easier' ones like Peninsula and UEA, but am now thinking that actually more people might apply there than a ridiculously competitive place (although all places for medicine are very competitive!)
Original post by 1234girl
Hey im new to TSR, but see that people have been talking about admissions statistics, does anyone know where i can get these from?

i want to apply to the supposedly 'easier' ones like Peninsula and UEA, but am now thinking that actually more people might apply there than a ridiculously competitive place (although all places for medicine are very competitive!)

I don't think anywhere is "easier" to get into I'm afraid. Though depending on your strengths, some universities might seem like easier ones to apply to for you :tongue:
Original post by SarahTM
Haha, thanks :'D
It's like OMG interview!!! *open email* come to an open day -_-
I actually love yours too :'] did you get in this year? :]

Thanks :smile: Nah im a reject :banana: UCAS were seriously cruel to me with their emails. I was waiting to hear from last two unis: St. andrews rejected me on the monday, Aberdeen on the tuesday and thne on the Wednesday UCAS decided it would be a great idea to send me an email saying "nows the time to apply for student finance if you want the money for starting uni" I think I sat and had a go at the screen for being so insensitive cause I wasn't going lol

Where did you apply? and you thinking on applying to any of them same? :smile:
Thanks :smile: Nah im a reject :banana: UCAS were seriously cruel to me with their emails. I was waiting to hear from last two unis: St. andrews rejected me on the monday, Aberdeen on the tuesday and thne on the Wednesday UCAS decided it would be a great idea to send me an email saying "nows the time to apply for student finance if you want the money for starting uni" I think I sat and had a go at the screen for being so insensitive cause I wasn't going lol

I don't want to jinx anything but

i will apply to one BMAT UNI, leiscter, and two other ones

any tips?

:frown: does it matter if i try volunteering at a care home, or nursing home - or is it all the same?
Original post by im no superman

any tips?

:frown: does it matter if i try volunteering at a care home, or nursing home - or is it all the same?

Ermmm suit your application to your uni's. Like oxbridge look for particular stuff that other unis will hate. Like we were told someone applied to two unis, one of them said it was the best personal statement they had ever recieved, and another uni said "sorry, it doesn't tick all the boxes" and she got rejected without interview.

Erm duno really, I haven't volunteered in either, but I got asked about volunteering at British Heart in an interview. But I am planning on trying to get a job at one cause anything will help :smile: Anything to make your application stronger can only be good :smile:
Ermmm suit your application to your uni's. Like oxbridge look for particular stuff that other unis will hate. Like we were told someone applied to two unis, one of them said it was the best personal statement they had ever recieved, and another uni said "sorry, it doesn't tick all the boxes" and she got rejected without interview.

Erm duno really, I haven't volunteered in either, but I got asked about volunteering at British Heart in an interview. But I am planning on trying to get a job at one cause anything will help :smile: Anything to make your application stronger can only be good :smile:

thank you:smile:

did you volunteer at a hospital, or get work experience?
=/ so far i've been rejected, despite really trying

any tips?

I think as long as you volunteer somewhere it's all good :cool:

(PS. Scrubs fan by any chance? :wink: )
Original post by Joseppea

watched about 40 episodes in the past 40 hours!

i can't do this all on my own, no i know, i'm no supermannnn

^^ i've volunteered with children teaching them, and also at a charity shop, but i need relevant medical experience!
thank you:smile:

did you volunteer at a hospital, or get work experience?
=/ so far i've been rejected, despite really trying

Erm I got a weeks work experience in various departments around a hosptial and during that week I got to a gp's surgery for a morning and a cottage hospital of old people for an afternoon :tongue: Don't be disheartened if you don't get in, just keep trying. At my local hospital even a consultant there couldn't get his own son work experience and I ended up going 300odd miles to get W/E :tongue:

Original post by Joseppea

I've been meaning to ask that too lol :tongue:
Erm I got a weeks work experience in various departments around a hosptial and during that week I got to a gp's surgery for a morning and a cottage hospital of old people for an afternoon :tongue: Don't be disheartened if you don't get in, just keep trying. At my local hospital even a consultant there couldn't get his own son work experience and I ended up going 300odd miles to get W/E :tongue:

I've been meaning to ask that too lol :tongue:

I'm starting volunteering at a 'disabled school', I don't know the proper term for it sorry, but they are probably going to pay. Not that it's a bad thing because insight need the money in my gap year, but will it not look as good as volunteering on my app
Original post by Limesasquatch
I'm starting volunteering at a 'disabled school', I don't know the proper term for it sorry, but they are probably going to pay. Not that it's a bad thing because insight need the money in my gap year, but will it not look as good as volunteering on my app

i'm a really shy person!:frown:

i won't survive in the nursing home

*high fives* :biggrin:
UCAS are asses. They keep suggesting I get to know people from medical courses... Thanks :'D
I applied to Manchester, Leeds and Keele... I thought that I should put two back ups just in case what happened happened (rejections without interview :'D)
If I get the grades, I'll apply to Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle and maybe Liverpool... Or a London one :']
what about you? :]

Latest

Trending

Trending