The Student Room Group

June 2011 G485-Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
do we need to know the properties of charm, botom and top? And also do we need to know what makes up the pi and phi meson thing?
Reply 501
Original post by muffingg
In a simple photographic flashgun a 0.20F capacitor is charged by a 9.0V battery. It is then discharged in a flash of duration 0.01s. Calculate the approximate resistance of the bulb.

How do you do that?

Answer in spoiler.

Spoiler

please show how you got that answer :smile:
Reply 502
In a simple photographic flashgun a 0.20F capacitor is charged by a 9.0V battery. It is then discharged in a flash of duration 0.01s. Calculate the approximate resistance of the bulb.

How do you do that?

Answer in spoiler.

Spoiler

I get 0.05Ohm. :L Damn.
Reply 503
Original post by MarieLyon

there's an equation for it isn't there? And that isn't ultrasounds its x-rays. isn't it?

Yes your right, but is that all we need 2 know, the equation??
Original post by susan23
C.jpg
ok what answer do you get for this for the total capacitance...show ur working.

I reckon 2. 3+3 is 6 for the parallel bit. Then 1/3 + 1/6 = 1/6+2/6=3/6=1/2. So take the reciprocal to get C, which is 2/1, ie 2 farads
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 505
Original post by M_I
Yes your right, but is that all we need 2 know, the equation??

In the spec it just says about the thickness and the intial values.
please show how you got that answer :smile:

Original post by apo1324

I also got 0.05 Ohm as well. If someone else can confirm that 0.05 is the right answer it would mean my book is wrong. My book says 0.025. That's why I'm asking. :s-smilie: :confused:
Reply 507
Original post by twistedinsanity
I reckon 2. 3+3 is 6 for the parallel bit. Then 1/3 + 1/6 = 1/6+2/6=3/6=1/2. So take the reciprocal to get C, which is 2/1, ie 2 microfarads or whatever the unit is.

Well done :biggrin: lol
Reply 508
Original post by apo1324

Original post by apo1324

Working out?
Reply 509
I also got 0.05 Ohm as well. If someone else can confirm that 0.05 is the right answer it would mean my book is wrong. My book says 0.025. That's why I'm asking. :s-smilie: :confused:

I got 0.05 too but I think its wrong because...I found out initial Q from CV=Q and then found out current using Q=It and then used V=IR with V=9 but 9 is not the voltage across the resistor? is this how you did it?

I was thinking to use the exponential equation of Q=Q(initial)e^t/RC but we don't know Q?
Original post by susan23
Well done :biggrin: lol

Oh I though you were asking for help! haha ok my turn to post a q:

Explain how the nuclear fission reaction is able to produce energy. 2 marks
Reply 511
Original post by M_I
Making more sense everytime I read something about it.....i hate Ultrasound.

I could be very wrong:

So far they have asked BIG| MARK questions on ultrasound and MRI. With that said, they also asked a mini question in jan on ultrasound. So its possible they could throw it in again- or not at all. I cannot find a paper from 2001 physics to g485, on PET, its new stuff, so they gotta test it at some point. They have done MRI and ultrasound already, so perhaps this time its PET's turn. They have asked about formation of a star and I believe olbers paradox in june 2010 - so it is possible that they could put a BIG MARKER in there on formaton of the universe.

In which I have put up a post already but here it is again:

A simple history of the universe, possible question:

Big bang
quarks and leptons existed freely ( at a temperature of around 10^14 K)
Quarks combined to form hadrons, such as protons (at a temperature of around 10^12 K)
atomic nuclei began to form by fusion ( at a temperature of 10^7K)
After 300,000 years atoms started to form as protons and helium nuclei grabbed electrons(temperature 10^4K). Note when the atoms formed there was more space for the radiation to move around in, so that the photons of radiation could pervade through space without being absorbed or deflected(this is what is meant by "the universe became transparent").

Then matter began to clump together(gravity became the dominant force) and stars, galaxies, gas clouds and dust began to form. It mentions in the book the temperature range for this occurence(10^3 K to 2.7K) - and that the universe is saturated with electromagnetic radiation with a characteristic temperature of 2.7K
Then we have |TODAY|

I hope this was not too much, any questions, please ask.

Thank you!
Reply 512

In the spec it just says about the thickness and the intial values.

Ok....I'll have a look at the spec.
Original post by susan23
I got 0.05 too but I think its wrong because...I found out initial Q from CV=Q and then found out current using Q=It and then used V=IR with V=9 but 9 is not the voltage across the resistor? is this how you did it?

I was thinking to use the exponential equation of Q=Q(initial)e^t/RC but we don't know Q?

That's how I did it too. I think my book might well be wrong !?
G485 is not that hard really it is all theory:biggrin: which is good and there is less calculations too!:biggrin:
Reply 515
Original post by sulexk

Original post by sulexk
I could be very wrong:

So far they have asked BIG| MARK questions on ultrasound and MRI. With that said, they also asked a mini question in jan on ultrasound. So its possible they could throw it in again- or not at all. I cannot find a paper from 2001 physics to g485, on PET, its new stuff, so they gotta test it at some point. They have done MRI and ultrasound already, so perhaps this time its PET's turn. They have asked about formation of a star and I believe olbers paradox in june 2010 - so it is possible that they could put a BIG MARKER in there on formaton of the universe.

In which I have put up a post already but here it is again:

A simple history of the universe, possible question:

Big bang
quarks and leptons existed freely ( at a temperature of around 10^14 K)
Quarks combined to form hadrons, such as protons (at a temperature of around 10^12 K)
atomic nuclei began to form by fusion ( at a temperature of 10^7K)
After 300,000 years atoms started to form as protons and helium nuclei grabbed electrons(temperature 10^4K). Note when the atoms formed there was more space for the radiation to move around in, so that the photons of radiation could pervade through space without being absorbed or deflected(this is what is meant by "the universe became transparent&quot:wink:.

Then matter began to clump together(gravity became the dominant force) and stars, galaxies, gas clouds and dust began to form. It mentions in the book the temperature range for this occurence(10^3 K to 2.7K) - and that the universe is saturated with electromagnetic radiation with a characteristic temperature of 2.7K
Then we have |TODAY|

I hope this was not too much, any questions, please ask.

Thank you!

Thanks so much....no rep left 2 give.
Reply 516

i used the three equations too. you cant use the expentional one because you dont have suffiecnt information
Can anyone tell me about EMF produced by a AC. Generator.

Is this right?

EMF is Max when coil is parallel to the magnetic fields, EMF is 0 when it is perpendicular.
Reply 518

yaaa probs is!!

Guys, what do you think is most likley to come up in this exam??????????????????????
Reply 519
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Can anyone tell me about EMF produced by a AC. Generator.

Is this right?

EMF is Max when coil is parallel to the magnetic fields, EMF is 0 when it is perpendicular.

That is 100% correct!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending