The Student Room Group

AQA ICT Info 3 Pre Release June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Kaskade
I dunno, I was trying to work it out myself... This is all I got: I think it's because when using bespoke systems, you are tied down to using out of date hardware and such. When the bespoke system was made for you, it was made specifically for a certain type of printer, certain type of operating system and so on. Therefore, when you have to change your old bespoke system because "business or legislative changes" are required, you have to throw away all that hardware that you had (that might still be in perfect order) because you need to get a new system and so buy a load more hardware. However if you had application system, it is the application designer's job to update there system so it suits legislative changes and so your hardware will still work fine on it...

But then there's so many ways that could be wrong haha, i just hope a question doesn't come up on that :frown:

Man you have got this subject sussed seriously wish you the best
I have only just sat down to really try for it as I had an exam today and am finding myself blown away by some of this stuff I have just scrapped As in all 3 exams/coursework so far and this is going to really make me fail. Too much to study too little time should have started alot sooner. I need a B really and have worked out I have around 236 UMS points at the mo. So need a D but don't know if I can even scrape that.

By the way your analysis is great real handy.
Reply 241
Original post by ,,,,
i think it's around there, in jan 11, it was 43 marks for section A, and the rest for B, from the possible questions that people have come up, i am sure something like that is bound to come up..

How's everyone's revision going? I am going to do the majority after my exam tomorrow and wednesday...anyone else just got this exam left, or others to?

Hello again
Just really sat down to it now as I had an exam today :-/ only exam left yes and the hardest I feel.
So full of gobbledy goop it's unreal and so much focus on environment it's not like you can just sit down and read each chapter.
Running out of time and on wednesday have to meet with girlfriend as it's our anniversary well our first year anyway so will lose valuable revision then but not loads hopefully.
Still got all tomorrow. How's yours going?
Reply 242
Original post by kp_10

Original post by kp_10
Anyone have any ideas what the 20 marker will be on? Emerging technologies came up last year i think, so i doubt will come up again!

i have a feeling itroducing large scale systems might be the 20 marker one
Original post by Noj2202
Hello again
Just really sat down to it now as I had an exam today :-/ only exam left yes and the hardest I feel.
So full of gobbledy goop it's unreal and so much focus on environment it's not like you can just sit down and read each chapter.
Running out of time and on wednesday have to meet with girlfriend as it's our anniversary well our first year anyway so will lose valuable revision then but not loads hopefully.
Still got all tomorrow. How's yours going?

Hi lol, haven't done much, i've done bits and bobs such as information systems, managing ict etc but haven't looked at the scenario that much, just hoping to learn everything tomorrow and wednesday (hopefully it sticks in)...
Reply 244
Original post by ,,,,
i think it's around there, in jan 11, it was 43 marks for section A, and the rest for B, from the possible questions that people have come up, i am sure something like that is bound to come up..

How's everyone's revision going? I am going to do the majority after my exam tomorrow and wednesday...anyone else just got this exam left, or others to?

what do you think is going to come up? ahh, what exam do you have tomorrow? yeah this is my last exam :biggrin:!!

Original post by Noj2202
Man you have got this subject sussed seriously wish you the best
I have only just sat down to really try for it as I had an exam today and am finding myself blown away by some of this stuff I have just scrapped As in all 3 exams/coursework so far and this is going to really make me fail. Too much to study too little time should have started alot sooner. I need a B really and have worked out I have around 236 UMS points at the mo. So need a D but don't know if I can even scrape that.

By the way your analysis is great real handy.

haha well you're in a better position than me! I got a really high A in unit 2, a C in unit 1 (don't even know how as i though i did better!) and I got one mark off an A in my coursework because my teachers tight as ****... Sooo wish i was in your position as I have to get 85 UMS marks in this exam, or no uni :frown: good luck with you too, i'm sure you'll be fine getting that D seeing as you've done so well... and thanks, i just hope my analysis is right!
is it me, or does this course seem like a business studies & IT course mixed together? all of info 3 is just about organisations, so dull and boring to be honest
Reply 246
Original post by ,,,,

I'm just going through the section B stuff right now, going to leave a whole day for the pre-release.. have no idea whats going to come up in section B though! do you?
And this is my last exam then I totally finish college! YAAAYY
Reply 247
Original post by aaron.leggott
is it me, or does this course seem like a business studies & IT course mixed together? all of info 3 is just about organisations, so dull and boring to be honest

You're so right...all I keep reading about is how much data organisations have! Ughh
Original post by l0livia
I'm just going through the section B stuff right now, going to leave a whole day for the pre-release.. have no idea whats going to come up in section B though! do you?
And this is my last exam then I totally finish college! YAAAYY

Oh right, i think i may do that as well, one day just answering possible scenario questions, for B anything could pop up

[QUOTE="Kaskade;32331257"]what do you think is going to come up? ahh, what exam do you have tomorrow? yeah this is my last exam :biggrin:!!

I've got english tomorrow, an asian doing english is not the best decision i've made lol :tongue:, tbh i have no clue, from section A anything could come up, but i do think the questions in this thread have been sufficient enough to get you through section A, for B anything really, as someone said future development came up recently and large scale organisations could very well come up...best bet is to learn everything from the book i guess...Oh and is there anything from info 2 we need to learn from section A? Besides environment, social factors etc

Did anyone do info 2 or 1? How was it (like were their any random questions or straightforward textbook stuff?)
Reply 249
Original post by Kaskade
It means limiting storage, like at school, you can only use say 30gb of memory or something. The reason for doing so is that the larger storage you need, the faster the processing has to be and this faster processing uses up more energy and thus more fossil fuels are used wasted to use this energy. If you make employees delete as much data as possible, you will use up less energy

Thank you sir much appreciated:smile:
Reply 250
Original post by Kaskade
It means limiting storage, like at school, you can only use say 30gb of memory or something. The reason for doing so is that the larger storage you need, the faster the processing has to be and this faster processing uses up more energy and thus more fossil fuels are used wasted to use this energy. If you make employees delete as much data as possible, you will use up less energy

lol my teacher said it meant getting rid of unnecessary storage, i think your definition is more accurate though
Reply 251
[QUOTE=",,,,;32333507"]Oh right, i think i may do that as well, one day just answering possible scenario questions, for B anything could pop up

Original post by Kaskade
what do you think is going to come up? ahh, what exam do you have tomorrow? yeah this is my last exam :biggrin:!!

I've got english tomorrow, an asian doing english is not the best decision i've made lol :tongue:, tbh i have no clue, from section A anything could come up, but i do think the questions in this thread have been sufficient enough to get you through section A, for B anything really, as someone said future development came up recently and large scale organisations could very well come up...best bet is to learn everything from the book i guess...Oh and is there anything from info 2 we need to learn from section A? Besides environment, social factors etc

Did anyone do info 2 or 1? How was it (like were their any random questions or straightforward textbook stuff?)

Info2 had a green computing essay question i have been told
[QUOTE="tt123;32336453"]
Original post by ,,,,
Oh right, i think i may do that as well, one day just answering possible scenario questions, for B anything could pop up

Info2 had a green computing essay question i have been told

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so play nice. :smile:

Has anyone made any logical predictions to whats gonna come up ? Ive been scouring thru past papers but it looks like any topics game atm.

Hollar me,
Shamsi
Reply 253
there's been some predictions made for possible questions which has been added to the thread somewhere
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 254

Advantages of using packages as opposed to bespoke?
HELP?
Benefits in enhancing legacy systems as opposed to new systems?
HELP?
with package application software you can use the same peripherals/hardware such as printers because it is compatible with existing hardware or you can choose package software which is compatible with existing hardware, with bespoke systems you may have to upgrade hardware and output devices in order for the system to run efficiently without compatibility issues. Therefore existing hardware can become obsolete after a short period of time, alternatively new hardware could be more energy efficient at the expensive of the organisation. Finally package software systems allow organisations to share resources/hardware such as printers because hardware is compatible because they use the same software, therefore less electricity is used as there is no need for multiple printers etc. which create a 'hotspot' if they are located in the same room.
In relation to green computing I cant see any benefits in enhancing legacy systems, often systems which require constant hardware updates and are in the decline stage of the system life cycle, the amount of energy they use and give off as heat can be much more than the modern equivalent.
hope that helps
Reply 255
Original post by tt123

Original post by tt123
there's been some predictions made for possible questions which has been added to the thread somewhere

there on my blog possible questions check it out and theres notes as well on each topic enjoy
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 257
Original post by thairshan
no probz will do

Thanks that will be great :smile: i've answered most of them, just need to check they're right now
Reply 258
ive added search bars so my blog can be searched easily
Reply 259
Original post by aaron.leggott

Original post by l0livia
You're so right...all I keep reading about is how much data organisations have! Ughh

The awkward moment when you realise ICT is Business Studies, Environmental Studies, Law and Computing squished into one subject :P!

Original post by tt123
lol my teacher said it meant getting rid of unnecessary storage, i think your definition is more accurate though

Nah, you're teacher's right, I was just putting it in terms of the environment :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending