The Student Room Group

Question spotting for F585 Economics The Global Economy OCR A level June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys...just thought I'd give you my 2 cents on what I think'll come up

Looking at the stimulus material, its not as obvious as previous years as to what the questions will be about...but it seems to dwell alot on trade and integration

I reckon questions on the economic cycle. expansionary monetary policy, Spains 'generous' welfare system, something about Monetary Unions, long run economic growth, role of the IMF, reasons for international trade

Again, this is just my opinion from looking at the prelim material...could be wrong, but there's not much else I can see from the prelim, its very vague this year :frown:
Original post by mqt
i have a question! :smile:...could you explain to me a reserve currency please :smile:

A reserve currency is one that is unlikely to depreciate in value and has relatively low volatility. It is for this reason that many central banks and international organisations use it to hold their monetary assets.

Realise you asked this ages ago, so you probably already know.
Reply 162
Hi, guys I haven't been taught this module and have just been using ATP. From there, there aren't many topics that need to be covered- Protectionism, trade etc, supply side policies etc, similar to unit 2.

What are you guys focusing on? Is there a lot to cover and do I have enough time to cover it?

Thanx
Original post by rs91
Hi, guys I haven't been taught this module and have just been using ATP. From there, there aren't many topics that need to be covered- Protectionism, trade etc, supply side policies etc, similar to unit 2.

What are you guys focusing on? Is there a lot to cover and do I have enough time to cover it?

Thanx

whats ATP?

I'd say that the prelim focuses heavily on macro economic performance and trade, so I can only recommend that you concentrate on them
CRAMCRAMCRAMCRAMCRAMCRAMCRAMCRAMCRAM

This is me ATM. :redface:
Reply 165
Hi,

For the question:
Comment on how the lack of convergence of the euro-area economies may affect the viability of the MU (10)

What would be a counter argument?

I know all about 2-speed euro etc etc and how lack of convergence = bad for MU, but for 10markers you need to show a balanced argument, and talk about both sides?

But what would I say to balance my essay? Aka what points can I put saying that actually, lack of convergence doesn't matter that much?
Reply 166
Original post by 4011seb

Original post by 4011seb
Hi there

I have got the APT booklet which has a predicted mock test. Obviously it wont be exactly the same but 1 or 2 may be right. I also no ohter companies produce prjected exam style questions. If somebody has some from other cpmapny such as tutor2u or zigteach(not sure if thats right lol) i would let you see the questions APT thnks could come. Thanks

can u send me the ATP via e-mail (PM me)

Original post by rs91

Thanx
Reply 167
I only have it as a paper format?

Is this enough to revise from though? It doesn't mention a lot of the things that have been mentioned in this student room and thats the only thing that worries me :/
Reply 168
Original post by viksta1000
whats ATP?

I'd say that the prelim focuses heavily on macro economic performance and trade, so I can only recommend that you concentrate on them

its a toolkit, just like Tutor2u
Reply 169
will somebody be able to send me the Tutor2u toolkit if they have it on PDF format and its not too much of a problem? Thanx
Reply 170
Hi :smile:
Does anyone have some suggested 20 marks questions that aren't in the toolkit please?
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 171
Original post by Hubb
Hi,

For the question:
Comment on how the lack of convergence of the euro-area economies may affect the viability of the MU (10)

What would be a counter argument?

I know all about 2-speed euro etc etc and how lack of convergence = bad for MU, but for 10markers you need to show a balanced argument, and talk about both sides?

But what would I say to balance my essay? Aka what points can I put saying that actually, lack of convergence doesn't matter that much?

wow, that's quite hard..
well...define lack of convergence... monetary union...
erm..talk about short term effects... long term effects...
maybe how the EU could fix this?...it says...affect the viability of the EU... so i think maybe it's suggesting how it could damage in the long term and how this can be fixed? :/ oh i hope that doesn't come up! i couldn't know how to answer...i'm going to try and figure this out! lol
Told by my teacher that the essay question is going to based around trade iberalisation !
Discuss the extent to which the Doha round of trade liberalisation, when completed, is likely to represent an economics benefit to the participating coutries.
Reply 173
Original post by 06hwhelpton
A reserve currency is one that is unlikely to depreciate in value and has relatively low volatility. It is for this reason that many central banks and international organisations use it to hold their monetary assets.

Realise you asked this ages ago, so you probably already know.

Hahaha yeh..i think i got it now. it has to do with foreign currency which central banks hold. Also a reserve currency is used due to the importance of exchange and how dependant and strongly the country trades with this country? :smile: The reserve currency also helps manage an exchange rate to keep their own currency stable. :smile: woohoo! and thatnks! that adds to my knowledge too! :biggrin::h:
Reply 174
Original post by Tariq_3458
Told by my teacher that the essay question is going to based around trade iberalisation !
Discuss the extent to which the Doha round of trade liberalisation, when completed, is likely to represent an economics benefit to the participating coutries.

yeah, it's seems to be a trend that it's going to be based around the final extract...so stuff about trade agreements, trade liberalisation, globalisation etc etc is what we were told too...but not too specfic cause we can never be too sure...i'm going to revise some more and i'm going to have a go at that question you've put down :yes:
feel like exchanging some views/answers afterwards?:colondollar:
Any help needed just holla ! (Y)
Anyone got any idea what the comment questions are going to be based around ? :/
only starting to revise this subject now.

failed it badly in january and been concentrating on my other subjects.

could someone please give me some main topics to revise - I have the toolkit but it all just seems too much to take in thanks
Reply 178
Original post by arsenal111

could someone please give me some main topics to revise - I have the toolkit but it all just seems too much to take in thanks

Macro-economic performance
Trade and Integration
International Trade
Original post by arsenal111

Learn about trade liberalisation which is going to be the big 20 mark question ( most likely)
PIIGS lack of competitveness and loose monetary policy.
Is is possible for me to get the toolkit of you ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending